Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Ultima

Pleas tie random spellcast rates to magic.

7 posts in this topic

Technically I have not beaten this hack yet, but I’ve made it to the Warring Triad twice already. Both times I lost my save data. On my third playthrough right now and thought I should stop being a lurker and pitch in a bit.

I think that the random spellcast rates of weapons should be tied to the magic stat, similar to how cover/counter are now tied to stamina. This would make Vigor/Magic builds much better, as magic would now offer more than just making spells stronger. I believe a good formula for this would be: (Magic+28)/210, with Rods having an extra 25%. This makes the highest chance of spellcast rate 90%, (Techinically 89%, achievable only by specing Strago into Shiva*30 plus the added 25% boost from Rods) and the lowest rate (Sabin) 24%. This formula also makes it so every 2 magic your character gains they get an entire 1% boost to cast rates.

Here is a “brief” rundown of how I believe characters would be affected:

Terra/Celes/Locke/Edgar: The elemental blades would have a greater longevity. Increasing cast rates won’t affect them too much until WoR, when your magic power is noticeably higher. This would make them able to compete with other mid game swords and be effective dragonslayers. All that and the Apocalypse & Illumina swords would be a bit better (not that they need it.)

Edgar/Mog: Dragooning without a spear would be more appealing. I think the “increased cast rate of swords” should be removed from the dragoon seal and instead let magic do the work, as you don’t get spellcast swords until IMRF when you can use Els (and relics) to increase magic; also, there is the fact that the Dragon Helm increases magic as well. However, I think the biggest change this would offer is that it makes Dragoon Mog viable in WoB. There is no way Mog can compete with Edgar when it comes to vigor and the poor guy doesn’t even have his moogle charm yet; but, Mog tramples all over Edgar when it comes to magic. Dragooning on Atma with an Ice Rod sounds more appealing now yeah? I also think this would give dragoons a build option other than pumping them full of steroids.

Strago/Relm/Mog: Attacking with rods will be better if this is implemented. All the characters who use rods have high magic combined with the 25% boost from rods make them a reliable way to deal elemental magic damage when you don’t know the spell (or have enough rods in your inventory.) Imagine this: Going to fight Hidon but you don’t have enough GP to stock up on flame rods. Instead you equip Strago with one and have him attack Hidon, higher magic lands Fire2 more often. Less effective than stocking up on rods, but still reliable. It would also be cute so see Mog Cover/Counter with some spell sticks.

Setzer: Doom Darts.

Cyan/Shadow: I don’t think these two would be affected too much. They both have decent starting magic and they will probably be doing something other than throwing wind at the enemies.

Gau/Umaro: Unaffected

Relm: Pretty much what I said about rods but your healing and buffing allies instead of throwing element weaknesses around.

Gogo: Ctrl+F “Rods”

Sabin: The only character who would suffer from this change. His magic starts low and stays that way. With the formula I gave his claws would have the cast rates reduced to 24%, looks like vigor Sabin is ruined.

I’m not sure if this idea has come up before or if I’m repeating somethings already mentioned, but I’ve been thinking about this recently and how much better it would make certain builds. Anyway, fantastic mod. Literally the best hack I’ve ever played and looking forward to more in the future

This change would destroy vigor builds on any character that has access to a decent proccing weapon. A big issue there is that it's basically 'double dipping' on magic for your damage on proc weapons. Not only do they proc more, they proc stronger.

A few times I've proposed having Stam affect proc chance in some way, in order to increase synergy between the stats.

The Vector elemental blades are fine, they serve a purpose for nearly half the game (sometimes a bit longer in niche situations).

Lastly, this would basically make it so that weapons that proc are useless for procs early game and overpowered late game.

Yeah makes sense. I also happened to notice my own formula doesn't take into account the boosts your character receives to magic from equipment. Making the highest magic power in game to be 150.

Main problem I see is, that you have to get Vigor AND Magic for those weapons.
Add to that that most characters(That have the access) also want MP and, especially, HP. Speed is also kind of a "must take" stat for anyone that gets a +2 Esper.
If the character also wants to use cover/counter+Proc blades(Say, Celes), they also want stamina.
This simply overloads it.

I don't know, this would make Magic, the game's best stat, even better, and besides, the apocylumina, the rods, and the elemental swords (on siren edgar) are already really good. This would also ruin one of the only things that stamina sabin has going on for him, getting Doom procs from 2 frostgores.

I’m not entirely sure proc rate is that flexible either. Maybe BTB or Synchsyi can chime but I think they’re hard coded.  So it’s a flat 0, 25% or 50%. Would make adding any formula based method a real pain if I’m correct.

Not sure I like any stat affecting proc rate, as proc rate weapons seem to be designed for various different people who have various different key stats. Magic based hurts vigor builds who rely on these weapons at various points (see: Apocalypse for Terra), stamina-based is just another random thing to tie stamina into that's maybe, only, kinda-sorta, not really that useful, vigor doesn't make aesthetic sense and balances poorly with stuff like Soul Saber or Punisher (for reasons), speed is good enough as is & also doesn't make aesthetic sense, HP & MP are a no.

That said, kudos for contributing, even if I'm shooting down the idea.

Edited by thzfunnymzn