praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

339 posts in this topic

Has the game been modified or updated since I last played? Heres a video I made where I broke your game in 2018 . I played through that version several times and enjoyed it. I was hoping to play through it again if you've updated it at all

Hello ^.^

I specify that we can use a randomizer on its mod, we just have to take the Japanese version of the rom and make it random.

Randomize job learned abilities.

Randomize job base commands.

Randomize job outfit colors.

Randomize monster stats.

Randomize shops.

Randomize job equippable items.

Randomize job stats.

Randomize treasure.

Randomize jobs obtained from crystal shards.

Then patch this new roms with the mod.

https://github.com/abyssonym/grand_cross

It is 100% work ^.^

I've moved half of the stuff to different locations or changed what certain monster stats do - was that taken into account?
I've my doubts that any special logic for this mod is present there.

Does that in any way relate to your previous idea of using a randomizer meant for the base game not working on a hack that changes half the stuff you want randomized to different locations?

Also did you ever fix your "hard mode"?

18 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Does that in any way relate to your previous idea of using a randomizer meant for the base game not working on a hack that changes half the stuff you want randomized to different locations?

Also did you ever fix your "hard mode"?

I had some curiosity and read that post and good lord some people really got some time on their hands (and doesn't use any of it to read the readme since you have a toggle option to increase/decrease difficulty whenever).  

Hey; signed up to say that I'm a big fan of the hack. I'm nearing the end of my first play through and think that this hack is by far my favorite way to enjoy FF5. I do have one suggestion for a new feature. Forgive me if what I'm about to suggest is already a thing and I somehow missed it.

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to add a way to continuing leveling jobs past the 30/70 cap without gaining further stats? Perhaps a prestige system where you can optionally reset your job levels, removing all stats and skills in the process, but gaining an increase to the max job level. Levels beyond the original caps wouldn't gain stats, but instead only give skills.

This would allow for people who want to "100%" the job system to do so, as well as add in a way for people who wish to respec to be able to do so.

short version:
not happening

long version:
There's not enough ram to do anything fancy.
The game only knows you have class X at level Y, not in which order those classes were gained or anything.
Heck, I even had to remove the ABP count of individual jobs to fit the 10 additional jobs in.

So with this I can't track if you should have +X STR from the first 30 job levels and the 40 levels after give no bonus.
I could at worst do some nonsense where I take a weighted pseudo 30 job value but that would mean random stat fluctuation and destroy any semblance of planning on the players side.
What I mean is for job levels 1-30 nothing changes and for 30+ stats are adjusted by:
(raw stat bonus x 30) / total job levels
e.g. at 40 levels you only get 75% of your total stat gains.
If this was done we'd get into FF2(nes) territory and noone wants that.

Even if that wasn't a problem I can't give you all of the abilities at the same time.
You could only have about 74 abilities and all after that would be cut off.
If you wanted every ability you'd need about 100 ability slots, so there'd be random losses as well.

And any form of reset is right out.
If it was only stats we could talk but the job abilities are a major game changer.
Respeccing from a pure melee build for the first half of the game to a hyper specialized build for the final boss is not something I'll allow.
If you've spent all your life mastering the sword and never even looked at a book you can't suddenly become an archmage.
Imo FF5 should also be about the journey and not just disconnected challenges, i.e. your past (job) choices should matter.

I hope that makes some sense.

If you got other ideas for a 2.0 - have at it.
I may look into making another update sometime down the road.

Thats actually really interesting. I didn't realize you were so close to the ram limits. That makes what you have managed to do even more impressive.

I can't really think of much else to add with that limitation in mind. At this point I would most likely just focus on quality of life stuff. Things such as a way to skip some of the longer cutscenes of the game; or at least the opening one.  It would also be nice to have a way to mute the game's music without effecting the sound effects.

Hello love this hack...dont know if its stated any where what every new move does like the dia spell or the entire red mage kit...but regardless i love it....also in a single job run...does every job level past the 5th only give you a stat up?

Edited by verninater

You have all the info about pretty much everything, in the documentation given with the mod. Playing both Sin of Mana and this hack, I can tell that if their is one thing you should do with Praetarius's mod is carefully read the docs, and try to retain as much as you can, and don't hesitate to consult them again when you forget about a specific ability. (PS : I don't mean that as being a bad thing, just so we are clear.)

Edited by Nesouk

unless I misremember we have
232 skills alone across the new skill sets
18 spells each for white,black,time,spellblade
15 summons
30 blue spells
8 songs
and technically a ton of monster-only skills you can imitate via mimic

so yeah, looking up is basically mandatory

Oh theres a doc? Im an idiot and havent seen it...sorry for the obvious question...yeah imma read it over before i ask any more questions...cant beleve i made it to wendigo before this

Edited by verninater

Ah...well i dont got any questions actually then...i only got minor nitpics like i dont like reds kit or the tiny buff exp buff from void shards doesnt seem worth it to go after unless you are already planning on doing the whole game on max difficalty....but honestly i cant think of improvements....love this and imma stop talking and TRY AND BEAT WENDIGO FOR THE 7TH TIME TODAY!

Does that apply to the rest of your party too?
Can Faris still gain ABP or is that properly frozen?
If you sum her job levels up does it actually come up to 31?
Might just be a display error there.

Also unless i missed something again the doc doesnt talk about abilitys like yin or yang or has wrong things like red still having low level spells...in mine all red has is the stuff like enfeeble amd purge and stuff even at level 5

Edited by verninater

(mild gameplay spoilers up until end of world 2!)

hello praetarius & all! i DL'd this mod about a week ago and i'm incredibly impressed with the depth of changes. i had no idea that this game was even CAPABLE of handling half the things this mod manages to do, and all while being pretty polished and bug-free. mixing and matching new class combos has been a ton of fun, and i'm really enjoying how many routes of play there are with the different menu commands and the replenishing MP. i've been playing on mostly difficulty 3 and 2 and i've just made it to the exdeath fight in the fleshcastle at end of world 2, which is the first time i've really been super caught off by the AI (aside from the one Resetting chimera!). learning how to reutilize statuses has felt really satisfying. excited to make it to endgame, and then maybe i can start a difficulty 1 playthrough for ng+!

i'll hold off criticism until the end, but nothing's been especially gamebreaking or super frustating so far. in particular, i really enjoy the new mage class concepts (especially the ones you get crystal 3/4), but some of the use cases seem pretty narrow for my gameplay style. the arcanist, in particular, has a bunch of very specific abilities that seem powerful, but i'm not much of an arithmetician myself so i'm having trouble cracking any "broken" uses. if anyone's got any tricks or tips for using the arcanist, i'd love to hear them :`) 

i did want to share a bug report that i don't seem to see in the thread, though! whenever you !Fight with the Gale Bow and it procs, instead of using !X-Fight, the battle locks up. the ATB stops moving, the party gets random status effects, but music keeps playing. i first encountered this on the dragongrass mountain after stealing the Gale Bow from someone, but i tested it again in exdeath's castle to the same lock up. (the random status effects aren't consistent-- in the below screenshot some party members get hasted, but i've also seen them get olded.) 

pic: http://prntscr.com/v9u1ef

thanks, praetarius, for hosting and developing this sweet mod! this is definitely among the top gameplay overhaul mods i've played and it sets a high bar for romhacks in general. smoothly integrated, well polished, and a lot of fun. i'll definitely be messing around with void divergence for a while longer.

do you have access to normal !x-fight? does the same happen if you use that with the bow?

current theory:
skills procced by weapon don't carry over the hit count value or set it to 0 (a value only used by meteo in vanilla).
so it pre-calculates hits until hit attempts equals 0 and if you start at 1 and only increment... a lot of stuff gets written to memory where it shouldn't be...