praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

339 posts in this topic

Currently, !scan is free to use, !skill/examine costs some MP and also needs level 6 to use. I wanted to replace the former but never got around to it/never got an idea that would work as a replacement.

Hold L or R when entering the job menu, I could never figure out how to add scrolling to that screen.

Thanks..honestly that's a tough question..maybe a weak set of ability that only have a list of each element icon and let you replace a slot worth of them and do nothing else(since most spell/ability lists are missing like 2-3 elements) although you said before about memory and ram limitations being close so idk how feasible a whole new set of skills can be plus 8 potentially new spells...that does sound like a conundrum...thanks for the help tho

14 hours ago, verninater said:

Thanks..honestly that's a tough question..maybe a weak set of ability that only have a list of each element icon and let you replace a slot worth of them and do nothing else(since most spell/ability lists are missing like 2-3 elements)

for just adding a field icon but doing nothing else you already have !item, just "use" any weapon and you achieve that already.

12 hours ago, verninater said:

Also true single job madness is really hard...I don't know how I'll even get past siren rank 1 with this job comp let alone beat the game

single job is only intended for "normal" difficulty (3-4 with basic rules). without expert a higher diff is maybe possible if you allow yourself to level grind but expert is unlikely thanks to enemy level rubberbanding. I doubt that the double stat gains for job levels 6+ are even close to enough to compensate for just lacking critical abilities.

Just beat the true final boss without casualties. The credits sequence was corrupted to the point that it abruptly sent me to a room of garbled tiles that I could move a little bit in, until I talked to a tile that caused a crash with a black screen. Not sure if that was supposed to happen...

Known issue, the game tries to load which skill to display for which char/class-combo and since I moved some stuff around and not adjust the credits, it is likely that it reads garbage that does whatever.

Hey great mod, this is probably the most extensive romhack I've ever seen before. I was wondering though, would it be possible to change a characters job list with a hex editor? I have this weird vision of Bartz as a traveling sage but the min-maxer in me would want him to have summoner for a full strength ultima. I realize the sage stone is an option but if the job list is something I could toy with I think it would be fun, messing with character/job stats is simple enough but I'm not sure how the actual allowed job list is handled. Out of curiosity, was the permanent age thing accomplished with an on battle start script?

The relevant values are somewhere in the ROM but don't ask me where I left them, don't recall.

Summoner isn't relevant for ultima, that spell only counts which vanilla-category spells you have collected, not which the char can use.

I think it was specifically where stats are derived from equip and everything, otherwise it would overwrite the old flag.

Similar question, but would you happen to remember where you moved the ability data? or perhaps just its format? The original game had a list of 2 bytes abp 1 byte ability id listed per job in order, does the system you implemented have a similar list? Was wondering if I could use some of the unchanged abilities like learning and blue with their corresponding id's to find the new ability location.

Sorry for the confusion, I just wanted to play around with some of the ability availability between characters without resorting to the sage stone. Like getting might amp on bartz or something, and changing what abilities a job learns works well enough for that if I ever want to try something crazy. I just like tinkering with things a little bit when it's within my ability.

One other small question, is it intended that x-item doesn't allow weapon swapping in combat compared to the normal item command? I'm guessing you had to hard lock every item you didn't want abused or breaking the game and the lack of swapping is a side effect.

That's just a restriction derived from using the !drink item menu for !x-item.

The biggest headaches with !x-item were obviously ethers and elixirs. A big hurrah for infinite action loops!

Triggering the sun field effect hasn't been removing swamp damage for me.

For expert level scaling, is the monster level used or the "Tier" listed in the misc. number madness?