praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

339 posts in this topic

Are you planning on revamping the list of stolen items? Right now it feels like the vast, overwhelming majority of steals are just Potions. Stealing seems like it could have a lot of potential beyond Vanilla what with Politics being a thing. I'd also love a compliment ability for a class other than Thief that allows you to get both the common and rare in a single fight or steal attempt. I always have a nagging feeling that I am missing out on some useful rare items, especially in a rom hack and with your choice to use the snes version we don't get the in-game bestiary.

If Tinker is going to have focus on item use I feel like Thief and the steal list would be a great place to add a little tlc.

In short yes, both drops and steals will have to be changed.
I have a small list of additional weapons and armors that have to go somewhere - and I don't want to stuff everything into the very few shop spaces we have left.

Though I'd like to limit it to one steal type per enemy, either rare or normal, not both.

Plus more potions isn't that bad, they heal more with increasing stack size.

Yeah, it's true that potions aren't bad to have but I had 99 before the fire Crystal. My Thief had an agility lead (obviously) over my party and would go first every fight. Use brave, steal/mug twice and the fight would be over before she lost her next turn. It got silly once she got politics.

The whole time to 99 potions I kept wondering where things like antidotes or even bombs were. Downloaded a rom viewer last night and the saturation of potions is silly. Glad to hear you plan to revamp it, I'd suggest early on, at least, making them quite a bit more uncommon because so many NPCs just throw potions at you and they are hidden around town and stuffed in chests to boot.

Makes me curious about things like swords as steals and how balanced that is since I think throw also doesn't consume an item, yes?

Only "breaking" (use equipped rod) and GilToss remove ressources permanently in this version.
Easily farmable weapons is kinda dangerous - stacksize reduces cooldown for !throw, up to no cooldown in the 30s.

I would put weapons only as rare drops (first copy guaranteed,
I think 1/16 for every further), maybe as stealable if the weapon is "outdated" for the area the monster first appears in.

v0.575

• added abilities for Tinker job
  • finished job palettes for new jobs
  • fixed berserk, confuse action behaviour
  • fixed exp options not working as intended
  • fixed bug that made X-Fight and TwinCut randomly crash the game
  • fixed bug that made certain escaping enemies not really escape (also applies to SolCannon self-destruct)
  • fixed interaction with X-magic and Time/Echo spell
  • altered MP calculation to (2xSTR + 1xMAG + base + JobBonus) * (MAG+64) / 64
  • MP soft caps at 200 and 300, hard cap at 400 before %MP abilities which cap at 500
  • adjusted HP/MP curve of player characters
  • decreased general HP growth of enemies by about 15%
  • decreased specific HP% of Sandworm
  • increased general enemy damage output
  • increased effect of difficulty on enemy damage output
  • increased abp gain from exp/128 to exp/32
  • increase power of heal vs undead by 50%
  • modifed delay for actions; 0 tick delays are now possible (most abilities), non-0 delays are now modifed by AGL (Slash, Jump, BuildUp,...)
  • added 2hand-only flag to Anti-Magic bow
  • increased accuracy of Rod from 70 to 80
  • now shows the job's main ability in the abiltiy selection instead of just "ability"
  • singing gets ended when max buffs are reached
  • Blue/Vampire: now works like a 80 power non-elemental drain spell
  • nerfed X-Magic/Shift to quartering missing delay instead of setting to 0, Time/Shift is unchanged set to 0
  • nerfed demi vs heavy to 1/4 instead of 1/2 the usual power
  • demi and psych now respect the power penalty for being used via x-magic
  • SteadyMP only works up to 99 MP (it is steady MP, not steady TURNS!!)
  • changed ribbon to void type
  • changed martial/aid to void type

so formal introduction for Tinker
FF5_tinker.png

abilities:
!Tinker - 8 "spells", main ability:

• Turret: summon turret to deal earth damage to one enemy
  • Load: reduces remaining item cooldown
  • Swap: switch remaining item cooldown with target
  • Shock: summon Bardandels to inflict paralyze on all enemies
  • Guardian: summon IronGolem to negate physical damage (Golem effect)
  • HeRoBot*: summon Prototype to deal lightning damage and HP leak to all enemies
  • Overload: set own item cooldown to 0 at cost of some HP (can be lethal**)

!X-Item - same as !Item but with multitarget and double cooldown

Recycle - passive ability to speed up item cooldown

!Drink, Brawl - same as from other jobs that have those

learned in order:
Brawl, !Tinker, Recycle, !Drink, !X-Item

Currently, the new "spell" menus have all their spells always unlocked.
This will change later.
The first 2 of each menu will be always available and the other 6 will be tied to conditions - like you currently need for !Black to buy the spells and for !Blue get hit by them.
Though there will be no double-unlock like in vanilla where you had to e.g. grind BlackMage AND buy all spells.

*you know: Hero-Bot, He-Robot, not-I-Robot

**1-stack feather from !Item would be 14k self-damage, 50-stack Elixir about 900, mere Potion 192 damage

Just beat the boss at the Wind Temple and I'm enjoying the mod thus far.

Two things I would like to mention.

1. At some point you should change around what the people at the House of Beginning say to better reflect how the mod works.

2. At one point the boss hit Bartz for more than enough damage to kill him, but it just dropped him to one hit point.  It was his Claw attack.

Edit: And it seems like Galuf has access to all of the jobs from the Wind crystal.  Was that intentional?

Edited by Aegis98
Additional observation

1. I know, that's a huge todo on my list - I just want the main mechanics finished first and some feedback so I know which are the hardest to understand.

2. Was he defending? That (and a certain passive ability) let you survive at 1 HP IF you had over 1/8 health before the hit.

3. Does he wear the sage item from the shop?

1. That sounds like a good way of going about that.

2. He was actually!  That's very interesting, it makes the defend command really useful.

3. No he is not.  I even just checked and removed all his equipment to make sure.

In further observations, it seems like the Crusader class for Bartz is buggy as well; I leveled up in that Job and I learned the ability "".

3. Oh wait, I misread that. I read all jobs period.
He should have access to 7 jobs, but wind crystal technically gives 8.
Everyone else has 5/8 there, he 7 - it just happened, it didn't really watch for when the jobs get available,
just that each char has at least 4 jobs after the first crystal and the jobs fit somewhat thematically.

Job selection can still be changed though.

4. not implemented job.
To figure out which are just check the ability menu, you'll see the job main ability above the section where you select your 3 abilities;
if it is just "!" it is a placeholder job. Otherwise it'll be like !White or whatever the job has

3.  Got it, that makes sense!

4. Okay, I understand that now!  Well, I think I'll be staying away from the placeholder jobs for the time being and wait for them to be updated into fully functional jobs then.

Thank you so much for answering my questions; I've only played a little bit but I'm really liking how combat works in this mod, with the elements and the cooldown on item usage, its really fun!

Nice to see a new mod from one of my favourite FF games. I'll be giving this a go over the weekend and will give some feedback, but congratulations on the project and I hope to see more from the future and thank you as well for the effort put into this. 

Playing some more, and Faris reached level 3 of Tinker and the game proclaimed that she'd learned "dummydummy"

Also, I find it odd that Faris can't become a Blue Mage, considering her bond with Syldra and everything.

Edit: And I don't know how I missed this earlier, but Bartz is a black mage and Fire is not costing any MP while his other spells do cost MP.

Edited by Aegis98

45 minutes ago, Aegis98 said:

Also, I find it odd that Faris can't become a Blue Mage, considering her bond with Syldra and everything.

Edit: And I don't know how I missed this earlier, but Bartz is a black mage and Fire is not costing any MP while his other spells do cost MP.

Wouldn't that make her more a summoner than a blue?
Or a Tamer/Trainer/Beastmaster?

Fire costs 0 is correct

DUMMYDUMMY is just a text issue - you should still have learnt Recycle there - passive abilities are special snowflakes that need to named 3 times and I forgot one ofc...

Edited by praetarius5018

Fair points on Faris.  I'm just so used to everyone being able to be Blue Mages and having the learning ability that I kind of miss it.

So noted.

I checked and I did see Recycle there.

I think I'll just throw "evade%" out of the status/equip menu, magic evade isn't displayed either, instead I'll display there magic attack since that is not quite as straight forward as the random-dodge stats.
Plus there's tons of stuff evade doesn't work against anyway.

FF5_void_divergence033.pngFF5_void_divergence034.png

v0.611

• added info dumps to Beginner's House
  • replaced evade% in equip/status with magic attack power
  • added max job levels to status menu
  • added experimental faster dash: hold Y instead of B to run even faster
  • pierce now also makes attacks ignore up to 20 (magic) defense after other reductions like elemental weakness
  • weakness hits against targets with excessive defense bypass some defense
  • poison ticks against heavy targets get more infrequent over time, refreshed by applying poison again
  • renamed MagicAmp to MightAmp
  • MightAmp now also boosts non-elemental magic by 33% and weapon attack by 25%
  • nerfed spellblade additional element factor from 2 to 1.25
  • changed spellblade to actually add its element to the weapon's base element instead of only roling a second element check
  • increased spellblade/tempr from flat +20 to +50% attack bonus
  • added +20 flat attack to spellblade/flare
  • increased double grip bonus for weapon attack from +25% to +33%
  • increased double grip bonus for magic attack from +12% to +17%
  • weapons now also have a weight
  • weight recalculation is now also active during battle
  • fixed in-battle calculation for evade reading wrong values
  • fixed text for newly learned abilities
  • fixed miscalculated status durations, e.g. underflowing paralyzation against bosses for infinite stun
  • fixed certain in battle events not firing if the boss is stunned
  • fixed several issues with the sandworm boss fight like too high HP, not having weaknesses, not giving exp, ...
  • fixed !mix resulting in garbage spells
  • "fixed" exploit with old status that reset old-penalty on equip change to 0; base stats now drop by 1 for player characters each tick
  • decreased SolCanon HP, changed type from Holy+Wasser to Holy+Ice
  • decreased Launcher (SolCanon add) HP, changed type from earth to water
  • enemy resistances become strong resistances on difficulty 1-3 or absorb in New Game Plus
  • Galuf lost access to BlackMage, instead gains Arcanist
  • Faris lost access to TimeMage, instead gains Mimic
  • MP gain from Ethers and Elixirs via !X-Item is now reduced to 33%
  • shields can now not only remove their element from weaknesses but also upgrade the resistance to greater resistance

Dang, the upgrades to resistances on higher difficulties sounds pretty cool. Wasn't really feeling it too much playing it on the hardest difficulty in the previous version

As a sidenote: "greater resistance" was "immunity" in the original version.

Regular resistance modifes damage with atk -25%, def +50% (vanilla had just atk -50%, this was never on any enemy, only on heroes)
greater resistance modifes damage with atk -50%, def +50% (vanilla had atk = 0)

in the damage = (atk - def) * M calculation

v0.635 v0.637

• added abilities for Assassin job
  • winning a (non-repeatable!) boss encounter on difficulty1 now awards a "Shard"
  • having shards in your inventory increases gained exp by ~3%
  • enemies have a 12% chance (33% for heavy enemies) to forcibly end hide status
  • fraction-type damage spells are now subject to difficulty (unchanged on 4, less on 1-3, more on 5-6)
  • fraction-type damage spells are now halved by shell status and by Opal Bracelet
  • added a monster damage modifier by difficulty: 150% - 1, ..., 100% - 4, 75% - 6
  • constant damage attacks deal double damage in new game plus
  • replaced Dispel/Anti-Magic Bow with Hunter Bow: 17 atk
  • added Hunter Bow and Amber jewel (lightning element relic) to tule shop
  • reduced price for amber from 380 to 135
  • reduced magic bonus for amber from 3 to 2
  • reduced HP and damage of WingRaptor
  • renamed Blue/Vampire to Blue/Leech
  • Jump: reduced 2x damage bonus to 1.5x but now applies to all physical weapons
  • Jump: fists, lances, katanas get +25% attack
  • critical hits are no longer exclusive to katanas, fists and bows; instead all attacks that deal physical damage can deal critical hits
  • damage for critical hits decreased from 200% or 250% with ability to 150%/200%
  • base critical chance is now 10%, increased by certain weapons; crit rate bonus stacks when dual wielding
Edited by praetarius5018

Assassin

FF5_assassin.png

learns skills in order:
!Hide, !Ambush, Evade, Two Handed, Inner Eye

Inner Eye - innate, weapon attacks that would miss instead produce a grazing hit of reduced damage (stat/2, level/4 for damage calculation)

!Ambush - like !Fight but gets a damage bonus if used after !Hide BEFORE an enemy "sees" the user; no damage bonus against undead.
If an enemy sees you they can drag you out of hiding before you chose to, in that case you are obviously not hidden anymore for bonus purposes.
If you leave hide on your own you can retain the bonus until an enemy attacks or at least targets you - misses end the bonus as well.

Why do I create abilities that require their own rule book...

Edited by praetarius5018

v0.665

• added abilities for Oracle job
  • changed default walk speed to regular dash, B = max dash, Y = slow walk
  • magic damage is now subject to magic evade (or phys.evade/4 for player if that is higher) and accuracy (level, weight, agl, vit, mag)
    the damage is not subject to randomness; minimum is 50%, maximum 130%
  • altered handling for multi damage attacks from "best resistance" to splitted damage
  • removed damage variance from monster attack
  • you can now always equip 2 weapons for dual wield but if the dual wield ability is not known you receive another -25% damage penalty
  • renamed the ability Politics to Pillage
  • sylph-type moves (deal damage and heal party by damage/4) are now subject to element; if the damage is absorbed the party is not damaged
  • increased accuracy of Finesse/Weaken
  • steadyMP no longer gives MP before the 1st turn
  • added skill unlocking via owned bomb count to !Tinker
  • added skill unlocking via total job levels to !Martial and !Finesse
  • sleep status of "heavy" enemies is now cured by poison ticks and live loss
  • mute no longer prevents casting, instead cuts magic accuracy in half - this also directly affects magic damage
  • changed formula for Golem-type walls to (100+PARAM1*VIT)*(d(lv+2)*d(MAG+2)/4)/256, with d(x) as diminishing values for 30+