praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

339 posts in this topic

Sol Cannon was always a % boss; though now it scales up with difficulty (x1.5 on difficulty 1) and actually can hit a weakness.
So yes that can go up to a 1 hit kill.

Admittedly SC is one of those bosses where I don't know what to do with.
The main cannon has this gigantic charge up... and then does the same damage as the sidekicks basically.
And then it doesn't really scale with difficulty; diff4: 50% rocket + 50% beam is a kill the same as diff1 75%+75%.

Also, you may or may not gain 2 more consumables in the next version to use with !(X-)Item. *cough*web*cough*vaccine*cough*

Edited by praetarius5018

v1.000

• added job sprites for the 10 new jobs made by BlackLiquidSorrow
  • added abilities for DarkKnight, Lord, Vampire, Magus and Sage jobs
  • separated ability slots into 4 active and 3 passive slots
  • added running for overworld walking and ship
  • spells now show miss if they fail because of magic evasion; status spells that hit but inflict no status do not show miss
  • MP drain spells now inflict HP damage and restore MP of 1/32th the damage dealt, capped at 40
  • X-Magic no longer receives a penalty to spellpower; instead it requires half a turn of charge up before casting
  • changed !Animal to a 8 skill selection
  • changed !Mimic to a 8 skill selection
  • replaced Monk's !Kick with !Blitz, 8 skills based on unarmed combat, unlocked by maxHP
  • replaced Knight's !Guard with !Valor, 8 skills based on defense, unlock based on win:escape ratio
  • replaced Thief's !Steal with !Rogue, 8 skill menu, unlocked by successful steals
  • replaced Mime's !Mimic command with a 8 skill menu based around acting and imitation, skills unlocked from the start
  • replaced Dragoon's !Lance with !Drag-On, 8 skill menu based around their signature skills throughout the series, unlocked by max HP
  • added !Science to Chemist, a 8 skill menu based on research, skills unlocked by Hi-Potion count
  • replaced HP +30% on Monk and Tamer with !BuildUp
  • HP +30%: renamed to Sturdy, HP +10%, reduces fraction damage taken
  • replaced Endure on Berserker with Sturdy
  • replaced Pierce on Dragoon with Sturdy
  • replaced !Slash on Samurai with Crit Up
  • replaced !Slash on Crusader with !SwdSlap
  • replaced !Steal on Dancer and BlueMage with !Mug
  • replaced !Aim on Chemist with !Science
  • replaced Preemptive on Ninja with Caution
  • added CQC passive: +20% damage while in the front row
  • replaced !Animal on Geomancer with CQC
  • replaced Preemptive on TimeMage with CQC
  • Bulwark no longer adds 10 VIT, instead reduces regular damage taken
  • changed Lich from +3 VIT, +7 MAG to +20% magic power and increased drain power
  • WhiteMage now learns AreaCast instead of MassCast
  • BlackMage now learns MassCast instead of AreaCast
  • added defense piercing property to !BuildUp
  • changed the white/black spells available for !Red, !Rose, !X-Magic; slightly less front loaded, !Red even gets 2 Lv6 spells
  • increased base hit chance for DoomClaw from 66% to 75%
  • increased base status chance for HP-to-1, doom and destroy effects from 40% to 55%
  • adjusted stats of most monsters
  • modified AI of Siren, Kimabryn, ArchAvis, SolCannon, Merugene, Crayclaw and Omega Mk3
  • changed Sandworm's Demi to Quake
  • edited unused NeoGoblin to Rebone enemy and added to a boss formation
  • edited Skullkin stats to make the "solutions" more in line with vanilla strategy
  • form changing bosses now keep status resistance between form shifts
  • added a cap to ABP while jobless; on job change you'll have at most 4/5 ABP
  • reduced HP buff from 100% to 50%
  • fixed weapon animation of flail and morning star
  • reduced the influence on damage growth for Lv2-35, added slight damage growth for job levels 1-30 (double level for single job mode)
  • adjusted HP per job level; now treats single job mode as having twice the job level
  • increased HP per job with "HP up" bonus from 30 to 50
  • reduced monster stat spread by difficulty
  • adjusted monster base stats by level
  • added +10% steal chance for thief job
  • fixed a bug that made !Throw with weapons deal about 2.5 times the intended damage
  • renamed !Martial to !Bushido
  • replaced Bushido/Fate Hit with Booster: weak attack that buffs user's STR
  • replaced Bushido/Danger with Dispatch: chance to instantly kill
  • Blue/Aero: increased power against floating targets or those weak to "aerial" attacks
  • Blue/Goblin Punch: damage bonus against same level target reduced from x4 to x2 with -50% defense
  • Blue/Goblin Punch: level check compares only last digit on level
  • Blue/White Wind: heals by 33% caster maxHP instead of 100% current HP, affected by Heal Amp
  • Summon/Odin: now always uses Zantetsuken, a holy elemental magic attack against all enemies
  • Time/Flood: added ground type, increased power from 110 to 126
  • Terrain: now always behaves as if pierce passive ability was equipped
  • Terrain: removed Gaia's Wrath and Lament again
  • increased MP restored by ether from 20-150 to 50-150
  • adjusted item cooldown values for !mix and !throw
  • reduced scaling of heal magic with weapon attack
  • increased heal power bonus of Sage Ring from 5 to 7
  • removed Ramuh and Shoat summon items, the summon spells are now added directly on boss death
  • added Web that inflicts slow
  • added Vaccine that reduces status damage taken
  • added MP sickness debuff for MP recovery with !Item, !X-Item and !Mix that reduces further MP recovery with those skills by 25% (but then capped at 100)
  • White/Pure and Mystic/Cleanse now additionally remove MP sickness
  • fixed a game crash caused by having !Hide, !Show, !Catch or !Release in the 4th ability slot
  • fixed a bug that made defend/guard sometimes not work
  • fixed a bug that made x-item with feather not work
  • fixed a bug that prevented abp reduction on job up
  • fixed a bug that made Blue/Condemn deal absurd damage when it failed to inflict the status
  • fixed a bug that made Counter use fire spellblade instead
  • reduced guard damage reduction from -75% to -50%
  • first escape with BraveBlade does no longer reduce attack power, only 2+ escapes
  • !dance: buffed power of Mystery Waltz and Jitterbug by 50%, reduced power of Sworddance from 400% to 200%
  • reduced damage reduction from armor/shell from 50% to 25%
  • monster can now land critical hits on their regular attacks
  • fixed a bug that made !mimic mimic the landing of (s-)jump and not the jump itself
  • changed MP gain of !Brave from 100 to 12.5%maxMP + 100
  • physical accuracy is now adjusted by spot in party, top to bottom, x9/8/7/6
  • changed how multiple hits of Time/Meteo are handled; changed to a quicker animation
  • changed element of Time/Comet to wind/earth
  • changed element of Time/Meteo to earth/fire
  • removed LP from NG+ scaling
  • in NG+ treasure chests are now reset
  • replaced some NPC texts in Carwen for more hints to gameplay changes
  • changed default difficulty and encounterrate from 3 to 4

I ran into a bug, I think?

Only my characters in the top most slot will heal after battle. It's not character dependent, just whoevers at the top.

Everyone else maintains their current health otherwise. 

Two more bugs, the first is kinda tricky for me to explain.

• If I use the Single Job Set on my characters to change them to whatever job, they are fine whenever the level up their class, nobody becomes old. However, if after they level up their class and I enter the config menu, the selection is no longer on Single but Normal Job Set(varies) and some things happen. 
  • Jobs that some characters become old from(illegal jobs normally?) - Monk, Thief, Dragoon, Ninja, Samurai, Berserker, Ranger, Mystic Knight, White Mage, Black Mage, and Blue Mage. Like if everyone was a Monk, Bartz would become old and everyone else would be unaffected.
  • Jobs where everyone becomes old - Time Mage, Summoner, Red Mage, Tamer, Chemist, Geomancer, Bard, Dancer, and Mimic.
  • Jobs unaffected(config selection remains on Single Job Set) - Knight, Lord, Crusader, Dark Knight, Magus, Sage, Oracle, Arcanist, and Assassin. New jobs plus Knight.
  • Since the config swaps to Normal Job Selection, characters can change jobs, but some are still affected with old no matter what Job they pick,    it varies.
  • So as long as I don't touch the config, none of this happens, but I like fiddling with encounter rate... :ninja:

• If I change the controller option in config to custom and exit the menu without changing buttons I can't access the party menu again with any button, other buttons work though like confirm and cancel.
Edited by Limstokes
typos

v1.005

• fixed !Brave sometimes not working or triggering enemy reactions
  • fixed Sandworm being unbeatable unless hero1 is dead
  • fixed after battle recovery
  • fixed issue with keeping single job mode
  • choosing single job mode now enables job selection before getting the first crystal

the controller change things sounds like a vanilla thing which I don't feel like tracking down currently

13 hours ago, joeafro said:

i've been watching this for a while, would now be a good time to get into it?

Now is a good a time as any.
I've still some things I want to do but that is mostly minor stuff.

Also if someone wants to do me a favor:
there's an outstanding bug in Bartz old home where on some playthroughs the bard is not there but a ! balloon instead or someone else had the dead mom on the floor there or other wrong NPCs in the house; and if you talk to any of them the game goes barf.
So I know that the value of 7E0A96 is responsible. I just see on my end never change from the initial value of $8F/143 outside of the cutscene in the same house where it should change...
I'd be super helpful if someone can run through the game with RAM watch on that address active and see where it changes where it shouldn't.
I tried now three times through the first world and found nothing...

In SNES9X that is simply:
cheats > search for new cheats
comparison type =
compare to entered address
data size 1 byte
data type hexadecimal
value: 7E0A96
then search for that, mark the result and put it on watch
after that you'll have the value always printed on the screen.

Okay I did a quick playthrough up till Lix.

When I did the tutorials at the beginners house, the character order tutorial and the Job tutorial, the values changed. This also included the Job tutorial in the Wind Shrine.

First I did the tutorials and talked to Zok in Tule and saw that Bartz mom was on the floor during the cutscene. Then I reloaded the save and avoided the tutorials, Bartz mom wasn't there. 

The values for the tutorials changed depending where I was in the game. I checked three times, before Wind Shrine, after Wind Shrine, and after getting the boat.

When I got to Lix I had avoided the tutorials so there was no weird stuff in Bartz house. Then I did the tutorials went back to the house and there was the balloon and Bartz mom and dad.

Sage and Lord don't give the +3 to starting MP upon leveling them up. They do, however, still provide the +10 to Maximum MP. 

I checked the rest of the jobs today for stat errors on level up and everything else seems to match the classes.xls except for Mime who doesn't give any Agility upon level up.

I recently started playing your mod and I'm having fun with it. I went through your documents a few times and am still a little unsure about some mechanincs. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer @praetarius5018

1. What exactly is equipment burden? One of the text documents says the strength stat affects this but I'm not sure what this means.
  2. I'm a little confused about the stat ups with job levels. How exactly does it work? Do you get permanent stat ups whenever your job levels up? Or do the stat ups only affect you on that job?
  3. About the cap on job levels. Since it's 30, does that mean I can only really fully invest in a few jobs?
  4. Again, regarding stats. Does the character's job affect their stat growth upon gaining a level? For example, if Bartz leveled as a Black Mage for 30 levels and then switched to Knight. Would his physical stats be lower than say Faris who lets say leveled those 30 levels as a Knight instead?

Burden lowers your speed and Strength lowers your burden, I think for each point.  Job levels give you the job you leveled's listed stat points permanently no matter what job you're in.  Yes, the 30 job level cap means you can only cap 6 jobs until NG+.  No, that's what job levels are for.

I think most of that is actually answered in the beginner house

1. the equip weight works a bit differently here than in vanilla; in vanilla it was just a flat value, divide by 8 and that is how much AGL you lose for the purpose of ATB/turn calculation.
here it is basically a % of your equip load relative to your STR value.
in the 0-30 weight range you won't have much penalty to ATB. (monster are calculated as if they had 30 weight)
<70 differences become more notable
and at 99 you might as well never get an action with that character.

Or in short: strong warriors can wear heavier protection

2. the stat ups are permanent for that character and independant of current job.

3. yes, but you can only gain up to 5 levels per job (15 for single job mode).
depending on what you want to do with a character it may be better to dip only a few job levels in a given job for the abilities or go all the way for the stats or a mix of both.
e.g. if you already have 2 levels of berserker you have !twin cut which is almost as good as !x-fight, so taking 5 level of ranger for the later is not as important.

4. the jobs each have different base stats, black mage has less str/more mag than a knight, etc.
the character themselves have minor stats bonus, this is in the 0-4 point range which is not too much longterm.
and don't worry: a certain character and the inevitable replacement are 100% stat/job identical.
if you are really into stat min-maxing, equipping active abilities gives 0-3 points total depending on the ability

So, I've been playing this mod for a few hours now and I gotta say you did an amazing job! However, I changed Faris into the Vampire class and defeated two different kinds of Skeletons as well as some Lamias but I never received either summon under my Oaths. Is that a bug? Or should I be doing something specific? Also, could you perhaps provide some info on what enemies you need to defeat in order to learn new Genome skills? As it stands right now, the Vampire's disadvantages far outweigh. There is no advantage to the class for the time being at all.

So replaying this mod after a long time now that it has receive some major updates here my thoughts for now playing on Difficulty 1 base on the memory I had of the first versions of this mod :

-Beginning of the game is much more manageable, ennemies of the Pirate's cave has been turn down a bit which I think is good, on difficulty 1 the encounters with 6 opponents at once in the Wind temple can be annoying tough, cause we are lacking crowd control option at this point of the game and so fighting 6 opponents is really long at this moment not to mention that their increase speed gives them a lot of turns. Raptor is better than the first versions still challenging but doesn't require as much effort as before (thanks to him having less HP and us having access to wind protection gear).

-After accessing the Jobs random encounter are more manageable thanks to Black Mage (and White Mage for Zombies) giving us some most needed AoE, the canal's encounter are therefore easy to go through, however let's talk about Karlabos who was piss easy on the first versions, I had played a little of 0.782 and I don't know why but the difference between difficulty 2 and 1 was extreme for Karlabos he was going from tough but fair fight to near impossible to win, thankfully he is much more balance here providing a tough fight but not as ridiculous as his 0.782 version, however he shows one little problems with bosses on difficulty 1 (at least for this point of the game), since their attack gave the Elemental Field 2 Icons and bosses act extremely fast it is litteraly impossible to keep the control of the Elemental Field which kind of ruin the mechanic as we can't properly use it, however on a plus side you can play around with this like Karlabos fill the field with Water you can turn this in your favor since it strengthen the Cure spell.

-Now for the Ship Graveyard one thing I want to say is I think Steal should be neutral for Element, I don't know if it is intentional but since it's Poison Elemental it seems ennemies that Resist Poison such as the Skeleton are very hard to steal, this is kinda ridiculous I tried to steal these Skeletons like over 20 times and only manage to succefully steal 1 time, I think for a mob fight the odd of stealing shouldn't be that low (or maybe I was just very unlucky which is possible so in that case ignore that critic). 
Now for the boss Siren, I really like the change here, she is a really interesting early boss now as opposed to how forgettable she was before, basically have to tank her and wait until she goes in her Zombie (not before a quite damaging combo) mod where she becomes more vulnerable to element (mostly Fire and Holy) and we can unleash a lot of damage to her with spells and abilities, but she get more agressive with also some nasty Poison statut.

So I stopped here for now, now for more general things :

-New Job's sprites : So this is personnal opinion and purely aesthetic so let's get it out of the way, I like that new jobs are given completly new outfit as oppose to earlier where they were color-swap of others jobs, for now I only saw Crusader and Tinker, honnestly I'm not a big fan of Crusader's new design tough however I liked the Tinker one (especially on Galuf as he looks a little like FFIV's Cid which is funny).

-Old Job getting a menu command : I really liked it haven't got to try a lot with Knight and Thief, but Monk seems a lot more usefull now, that HP Leak effect on Aurabolt was handy for Siren for instance, and now he actually can fight unarmed and still exploit Elements which is nice, I'm really interested in trying the new stuffs so we will see. 

5 hours ago, Regalia776 said:

So, I've been playing this mod for a few hours now and I gotta say you did an amazing job! However, I changed Faris into the Vampire class and defeated two different kinds of Skeletons as well as some Lamias but I never received either summon under my Oaths. Is that a bug? Or should I be doing something specific? Also, could you perhaps provide some info on what enemies you need to defeat in order to learn new Genome skills? As it stands right now, the Vampire's disadvantages far outweigh. There is no advantage to the class for the time being at all.

the enemy has to die by direct damage (though does not matter by whom), not HP leak, poison ticks, reflected spells or counter
any lion
fairy orc or one of the cure hares
plant boss
any plant girl
any commander
merugene
any doomdealer palette swap
skeleton
any lamia
any bone or zombie dragon
darkmage or flaremage
any unknown
flayer
siren
gil turtle

aoe before jobs: bombs
and a full 6 enemy encounter is only guaranteed on difficulty 1

steal does not care about elements, the poison is purely for field icon purposes
aside from that the base chance is still a measly 40%, same as vanilla, double with the thief gloves.
well, you get a few extra % here with higher AGL or by being in the thief job

field icons (karlabos)
this is one of those things where it might not be possible to get a good solution.
if the (heavy-type) bosses only got 1 icon you could flood them out to easily, you can always store turns or use brave to produce the mass of icons when you need them - but 2 icons as it is now may be a bit too much, and 1.5 icons is not possible.
also getting 2 icons each is an option you have (later) as well, be it the fortress skill of knight or one of the mixes (both for heavy status) or the one !meta effect of sage.

3 hours ago, Nesouk said:

-New Job's sprites : So this is personnal opinion and purely aesthetic so let's get it out of the way, I like that new jobs are given completly new outfit as oppose to earlier where they were color-swap of others jobs, for now I only saw Crusader and Tinker, honnestly I'm not a big fan of Crusader's new design tough however I liked the Tinker one (especially on Galuf as he looks a little like FFIV's Cid which is funny).

Which Crusader sprites in particular did you have issues with?

19 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

aoe before jobs: bombs
and a full 6 enemy encounter is only guaranteed on difficulty 1

Alright then, yeah I tend to forgot about buying as I think strengthen the Potion and Armors are more important but I might be wrong.

steal does not care about elements, the poison is purely for field icon purposes
aside from that the base chance is still a measly 40%, same as vanilla, double with the thief gloves.
well, you get a few extra % here with higher AGL or by being in the thief job

Then it's just my bad luck huh figure.

field icons (karlabos)
this is one of those things where it might not be possible to get a good solution.
if the (heavy-type) bosses only got 1 icon you could flood them out to easily, you can always store turns or use brave to produce the mass of icons when you need them - but 2 icons as it is now may be a bit too much, and 1.5 icons is not possible.
also getting 2 icons each is an option you have (later) as well, be it the fortress skill of knight or one of the mixes (both for heavy status) or the one !meta effect of sage.

Hmm would it be possible to make it so that certain attack gives 2 Icons while other gives only 1 ? Like in the case of Karlabos you could make it so that Flood gives 2 Water Icons while normal Water gives only 1.

Which Crusader sprites in particular did you have issues with?

Not with one in perticular I just don't like the look of it.

Edited by Nesouk

1 hour ago, Nesouk said:

Then it's just my bad luck huh figure.

yeah, and then add the chance of only 1/16 to get the rare steal - very frustrating overall

1 hour ago, Nesouk said:

Hmm would it be possible to make it so that certain attack gives 2 Icons while other gives only 1 ? Like in the case of Karlabos you could make it so that Flood gives 2 Water Icons while normal Water gives only 1.

theoretically I could, but how would we decide which moves are worth 1 icon, which 2 (this would have to be a global decision, not per boss).
but I'm not too fond of this option; there's already plenty of RNG in what certain bosses do (like 1/3 chance each turn to do nothing or grand lottery cross), this would inevitably end with cases of a 50:50 chance between low damage + 1 icon or massive/aoe damage + 2 icons, so bad luck would double penalize the player.
one penalty per failed RNG roll I'm ok with but not 2+

what do you think single job mode is for?

though in that case I'd keep it on normal difficulty (4)

Edited by praetarius5018

20 hours ago, Nesouk said:

Not with one in perticular I just don't like the look of it.

Well to be fair I didn't really have much to go off of with this concept. "Warrior that gets stronger with more hp" doesn't really indicate any kind of appearence