praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

339 posts in this topic

Okay, so I have now defeated the plant boss, a few Lamias and Orc enemies and none of them gave me neither a Genome nor an Oath ability. And yes, I had Faris in the vampire class for all of those battles. I even went back to fight the plant boss once again once I noticed that I didn't get anything. To me this clearly seems like a bug and so far the only use I still have of the vampire class is their last passive ability. Doesn't anybody else have the same experience?

Edited by Regalia776

in which character slot is the vamp?

31 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

I don't really get the Law stuff tough.

you put down some of the BanX skills - they last the entire battle, once a law is passed it stays active - wait until an enemy breaks any of the laws then cast judge.

judge heals those that haven't broken any law (more based on VIT and number of laws) and damages all that have broken any of the laws. (can't kill monster though because of reaction:death scripts, don't ask...) damage scales with number of broken laws.
e.g. you cast BanMiss, stack up evasion/blind status, wait until enemies have missed a couple times (one of the reasons status spells now show miss instead of nothing when failing to hit, those count as well) and then use judge to heal yourself and damage them.

Edited by praetarius5018

Following up on the discussion regarding Lord/Law, I have to say I was impressed by the skillset. It is very original and fun to use. Any such addition to the game is welcome if you as me. Order is also very interesting, especially Insurance and Denial which is very useful when enemies resist or absorb more than one element. I am still puzzled why Order/Geoform increases the damage by so much.

I am currently in the world 2, so here are some more oddities I noticed:

• I got into an encounter with the Zombie Dragon inside the Sealed Castle. It seemed nigh indestructible. It seriously took me more than 15 min to defeat it. It didn't pose a huge threat, but I kept doing 9999 damage with Blue/Crusher and 'normal' respectable damage with my other units and it just would not go down. Unfortunately I didn't have Scan on any of my characters to check its HP, but it seemed very strange to keep doing a lot of damage and see no effect of it, considering also that it was a random encounter and rather underwhelming with the amount of damage dealt to the party. Does it just have a lot of HP or is it something else? A similar thing happened to me in the first world:
  • when I was fighting Shiva for the first time. I had Scan and got her down to 1 HP and 0 LP. She just wouldn't go down to any of my attacks, and the battle went on for quite some time until I inflicted Sap (or was it maybe Poison) on her and she died because of it. My difficulty is always either on 2 or 1. Does that have anything to do with it?
  • Chemist's Science/Grab Item occasionally executes some seemingly random commands, like Dragoon's Lancet. It does not happen often, but enough to make one wonder.
  • How is Assassin's Hide-Ambush extra damage supposed to work? Once my hidden Assassin gets an active turn, the only selectable action is Show, there is no way to select Ambush while hidden. Am I supposed to show, and then select Ambush on the following turn? 
  • This might have already been answered, but do the effects of passive abilities such as Crit up, Steady MP and Evade stack? Will I regenerate even more MP with 3 Steady MPs? I assume not, but just wanted to check to be sure.

Order/Geoform is just a dirty 16 bit value during supposedly 8 bit math. So something like x8 would become x264.

shielddragon is a stupid mob, huge HP and defenses, innate reflect, and runs away at 50% HP so you get no reward (only in vanilla), they just exist to drive you out of the sealed castle before you have any business there.
edit: I think I switched his HP <50% damage reaction from escape to drain, so together with the last chance HP of its heavy state, yeah... that would do it

difficulty 1 or "heavy" status (not quite a boss flag) gives mobs a last chance hitpoint, same as if insurance was on.
this is nasty with mobs that can heal themselves since they can get that last HP over and over - though to my knowledge neither of the mentioned creatures should have anything like that..

no idea what it is with grabitem... someone else managed to target themselves with that and the game doesn't handle stealing from a player unit well

ambush is to be used after !show before anything hits that character.
you don't get the bonus if a mob sees you and force-ends !hide that way

passives do not stack, only +HP/MP do but only because it is way too much effort to make them not stack...

1 hour ago, Regalia776 said:

It's Faris, so slot 4.

try any other slot, please.
I've seen that when it should check for if slot 4 is a vamp it instead checks slot2 gain...

Edited by praetarius5018

7 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

you put down some of the BanX skills - they last the entire battle, once a law is passed it stays active - wait until an enemy breaks any of the laws then cast judge.

judge heals those that haven't broken any law (more based on VIT and number of laws) and damages all that have broken any of the laws. (can't kill monster though because of reaction:death scripts, don't ask...) damage scales with number of broken laws.
e.g. you cast BanMiss, stack up evasion/blind status, wait until enemies have missed a couple times (one of the reasons status spells now show miss instead of nothing when failing to hit, those count as well) and then use judge to heal yourself and damage them.

An interesting gimmick tough I admit I don't know who it would fit the most in my set up, the only character I started builded toward VIT is Galuf who sadly can't use the Lord, as Mages Lenna and Bartz it seems they would get most out of Lord from Order instead of Law, and Faris I'm building her more toward Agility and Item usage than VIT.

v1.050

FF5_enuo.png.cfed287b8adbda14365cfc239c8

• added weapon proficiency
  • added natural magic evade based on level, magic stat, job type and equip%
  • added bonus phases to final boss, each unlocked by beating one of the superbosses
  • edited dummy enemy to 5A's Enuo and put him in the last chest, AI as close to the original as possible, sprite recolor of Omniscient
  • edited AI of Shinyru
  • changed encounter rate 6 to off
  • added extra patch for save anywhere
  • Lenna now starts with knife + shield equipped
  • Faris now starts with dagger + knife equipped to show off dual wielding
  • Omega now additionally drops a omega shield (formerly called blood shield)
  • changed type of whips from wind to earth
  • added new whip "Tamer" to tule weapon shop
  • added new boomerang "Edge" to karnak weapon shop
  • added new boomerang "Razor" to kelb weapon shop
  • added new staff "Cleric" to kelb weapon shop
  • added new rod "Storm" to jacole weapon shop
  • added new rod "Magus" to necromancer rare drop
  • added new rod "Nirvana" to Enuo drop
  • added new bell "Mythril" to jacole weapon shop
  • added new bell "Diamond" to surgate weapon shop
  • added new harp "Fairy" to surgate weapon shop
  • added new harp "Demon" to mirage weapon shop
  • increased power of Full Moon from 63 to 102
  • nerfed attack power of endgame weapons
  • lowered max attack of ChickenKnife to 127
  • BraveBlade attack power fluctuates between 50 and 150 depending on !Brave and !Def. uses
  • added +2 heal power to flail
  • added +4 heal power to morning star
  • changed icon of flail and morning star from misc to staff
  • fixed tutorial scenes screwing up other event flags
  • fixed out of range bug for new skills potentially
  • fixed stats of Corvette enemy
  • fixed Mime not getting +AGL levels
  • fixed bug that made new jobs not add to starting MP
  • fixed unlock for sage skills not working properly
  • changed skill used with 25% by chicken knife to !Smoke
  • renamed enemy skill Snowstorm to Icestorm to differentiate from Blue/Snowstorm
  • undead player now only get healed by 33% from Doom
  • re-added exp split
  • reduced penalty to exp gain for having a full party from 75% to 50%
  • reduced exp granted from Gil Turtle
  • added heavy flag to Ramuh to prevent victory that bypasses his death speech and made him refightable
  • nerfed Meteo and variants when used by monster
  • removed Hi-Lamia from world1 open sea
  • fixed level of corvette and armon monster
  • added a modifier to bomb damage based on AGL
  • fixed bug that made Vampire skill learning not check the 4th hero slot for vampire job
  • AGL increases proc chance for weapons that release a spell or use an alternative skill
  • GrandCross: list of status effects gets now filtered based on target's HP; healthy targets are protected from instant lose statuses, dead targets get erased
  • replaced book with hint about ZetaFlare's weakness (which doesn't even apply) with a hint on how to unlock the True Final Boss
  • adjusted HP growth of heroes, Lv30 has -300 HP compared to before, difference is given back over the remaining levels
  • reduced HP growth of monster

Hello again! I've really been enjoying v1.050.

Weapon proficiency is definitely a great addition! I think it's a good middle ground for Jobs now being able to equip any weapon. Would it be possible for Armor Proficiency to exist as well, like differentiating between shields, books, badges, etc. between Jobs? Maybe a bit much?

Anyway, here are some bugs.

• Renaming a character doesn't work upon pressing either L or R upon entering a menu.
  • New Game + doesn't work when loading a save while pressing L + R.
  • New abilities ignore memory, or the last attack they used in battle. The abilities affected are !Valor, !Blitz, !Rogue, !Drag-On, !Bushido, !Animals, !Science, !Finesse, !Mimic, !Law, !Order, !Esemte, !Dark, !Genome, !Oath, !Taboo, !Meta, !Yin, !Yang, !Predict, !Arcane, !Mystic, and !Tinker.
  • Using the encore ability from !Mimic on !Throw causes random items to be thrown from the inventory, which usually leads to a softlock depending on what ends up being thrown. Here's a Rune Book being thrown at Ex-Death...

Final Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-07-03 22.08.41.png

• Kaiser Claws equipped together with either Boost Ring or !Might Amp on a character seems to cause !Brawl to stop working, even when equipping !Brawl in the Passive menu.
  • Text errors occur during the Adamantium cutscene in the meteor. It's a few dialog boxes worth of errors.

Final Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-06-29 01.07.35.png

• Some "bla" text errors.

Final Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-06-29 12.40.57.pngFinal Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-07-01 16.33.11.png

2 hours ago, Limstokes said:

Hello again! I've really been enjoying v1.050.

Weapon proficiency is definitely a great addition! I think it's a good middle ground for Jobs now being able to equip any weapon. Would it be possible for Armor Proficiency to exist as well, like differentiating between shields, books, badges, etc. between Jobs? Maybe a bit much?

there's a problem with that. weapons have high values so reducing that by 25% doesn't produce too big rounding errors.
relics have low values, some as low as 1. reducing that by 25% would be a 100% reduction thanks to rounding. also it wouldn't affect shields since they give 0 def (aside from the omega shield)
also armor proficiency is something I wanted to do by character not by job sometime down the road - to make the characters that little bit more unique - but that is something I'm still not 100% convinced about; having a worse weapon just means the fight may last ~30% longer, having worse armor may mean it becomes unwinnable.

Anyway, here are some bugs.

• Renaming a character doesn't work upon pressing either L or R upon entering a menu.
  • New Game + doesn't work when loading a save while pressing L + R.

you have to hold the L and/or R button while pressing X to open the menu or confirming load via A.

• New abilities ignore memory, or the last attack they used in battle. The abilities affected are !Valor, !Blitz, !Rogue, !Drag-On, !Bushido, !Animals, !Science, !Finesse, !Mimic, !Law, !Order, !Esemte, !Dark, !Genome, !Oath, !Taboo, !Meta, !Yin, !Yang, !Predict, !Arcane, !Mystic, and !Tinker.

that's from a technical limitation. all the new abilities don't really exist in the game's view.
same reason why all those abilities are limited to 8 skills.

• Text errors occur during the Adamantium cutscene in the meteor. It's a few dialog boxes worth of errors.

Final Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-06-29 01.07.35.png

ok, wtf happened there!?

3 hours ago, Limstokes said:
  • Kaiser Claws equipped together with either Boost Ring or !Might Amp on a character seems to cause !Brawl to stop working, even when equipping !Brawl in the Passive menu.

I don't get that result, what makes you think they stop working exactly?

3 hours ago, Limstokes said:
  • Using the encore ability from !Mimic on !Throw causes random items to be thrown from the inventory, which usually leads to a softlock depending on what ends up being thrown. Here's a Rune Book being thrown at Ex-Death...

Final Fantasy V Void Divergence.2019-07-03 22.08.41.png

goddamn x-magic, mimic, dual wield, when will you three ever stop causing problems!?

do you recall what exactly you had thrown at exdeath initially?

16 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

you have to hold the L and/or R button while pressing X to open the menu or confirming load via A.

Okay, you can ignore the L+R issue I was having. The problem seemed to be related to the IPS patcher I was using this time around(SNES ROM Utility). I switched back to Lunar IPS and New Game + and character renaming worked just fine. This was bugging me for a while, I tried different emulators, controllers, and roms and I couldn't figure it out till just now.

I don't get that result, what makes you think they stop working exactly?

I'll use the Statue enemy as an example. So my character(Krile) has innate !Brawl from leveling up Monk. Her damage per punch is about 300 with 600 crits. By just equipping Kaiser Claws, damage increases to 600-900. If I equip Kaiser Claws with either !Might Amp or Boost, damage from punches gets reduced to 50-100, which closely matches my other characters fist damage that don't have !Brawl. I also tested this on Lenna and Faris by making them Monks, similar results. It could just be damage reduction rather than negating !Brawl, but I don't know. Also, this doesn't affect any !Blitz abilities in terms of damage except for Kick which will do between 20-120.

goddamn x-magic, mimic, dual wield, when will you three ever stop causing problems!?

do you recall what exactly you had thrown at exdeath initially?

Flame Scroll, but it's not item specific, any thrown item would lead to similar results. It doesn't seem too random, depending on what is first thrown and where it is in the inventory changes what gets encored. If I were to sort my inventory and throw a flame scroll and encore it I would get this...

Flame scroll, Throw(empty slot 0 damage), Potion, and Genji Book(this causes a softlock like Rune). 

When I sorted something else into the Genji book slot it would use that item instead and continue jumping to different slots as I continued using encore. I was also able to make a loop by using empty slots as a start and finish.

Flame Scroll, Throw(empty slot), Hi-Potion, some earth weapon, some ice weapon, Golem and another Throw(empty slot). After which point it would just repeat from Hi-Potion. This was neat to see, but is probably not too helpful.

Lastly, it didn't matter what character I used, selling all my items didn't fix it(just encores empty slots), and starting a new file still had this bug as well. Hopefully this is readable. xD

Edited by Limstokes
typos

10 hours ago, Limstokes said:

Okay, you can ignore the L+R issue I was having. The problem seemed to be related to the IPS patcher I was using this time around(SNES ROM Utility). I switched back to Lunar IPS and New Game + and character renaming worked just fine. This was bugging me for a while, I tried different emulators, controllers, and roms and I couldn't figure it out till just now.

I don't see how the patcher related to that, but if it works :o

Flame Scroll, but it's not item specific, any thrown item would lead to similar results. It doesn't seem too random, depending on what is first thrown and where it is in the inventory changes what gets encored. If I were to sort my inventory and throw a flame scroll and encore it I would get this...

ok, found that one bugger..

I'll use the Statue enemy as an example. So my character(Krile) has innate !Brawl from leveling up Monk. Her damage per punch is about 300 with 600 crits. By just equipping Kaiser Claws, damage increases to 600-900. If I equip Kaiser Claws with either !Might Amp or Boost, damage from punches gets reduced to 50-100, which closely matches my other characters fist damage that don't have !Brawl. I also tested this on Lenna and Faris by making them Monks, similar results. It could just be damage reduction rather than negating !Brawl, but I don't know. Also, this doesn't affect any !Blitz abilities in terms of damage except for Kick which will do between 20-120.

just to avoid unnecessary insanity - this issue persists after switching the ips patcher?

7 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

just to avoid unnecessary insanity - this issue persists after switching the ips patcher?

Yup, I retested all the bugs after switching the IPS patcher, I probably should have mentioned that.

You can't replicate the bug? For me this is consistent, I checked all passives I had and tested the rest of the armor with Kaiser Knuckles, but nothing else interfered with fist damage. I could test this with new characters, perhaps it's related to something else.

no success in reproducing that

could you create a savefile (.srm) where the issue exists so that I just have to get into battle to see it?

Here you go. It's in the first slot. Save

Bartz has just Brawl equipped. Faris has Brawl and Kaiser. Lenna has Brawl, Kaiser, and Boost. Galuf has Brawl, Kaiser, and Might Amp.

Hah, no I think the exp curve is fine. I wanted to start New game + a bunch of hours ago, but I had my issue with L and R so I was just fiddling around looking for bugs and testing all the classes abilities. Since I could just save anywhere, I did just that, rather than reload my save. So yeah, I'm a bit over leveled.

Edited by Limstokes

v1.100

• replaced reequip config option with "core rules" option
    -basic = default
    -expert = can't revive, damage multiplier is truncated roughly like in vanilla, enemies get [75..150]% damage variance and scale up when the party is too high levelled
  • on difficulty 1 with expert mode bosses drop 2 void shards instead of 1
  • added diminishing returns to experience bonus from void shards; before ~300% at 99 shards now 150%
  • automatic equip optimize after job/ability change is now always disabled
  • battles get auto-reset after game over
  • magic evade and rod element boost (NOT MightAmp) now affect status chance/damage
  • changed rare steal chance from 10/256 to (AGL-10)/256
  • physical techs now profit from weapons that are more effective against certain creature types; bonus for techs is slightly higher against targets with high maxHP
  • new skill sets now respect memory cursor (though they have to share the position among them)
  • spellblade element attacks no longer auto-miss against greater resistance
  • added new rod "Water" to Karnak escape, replaces an elixir
  • edited typing and m.evade of several bosses
  • fire rune now blocks HP leak status
  • mirage ring no longer provides an image, instead it grants +35 evade
  • reflect ring now refreshes on turn end
  • enemies that reacted specifically to !fight now react to non-magical abilities
  • fixed damage overflow against aegis parry in a multihit spell (e.g. reflected from barriers)
  • fixed some text issues
  • fixed Gilgamesh's exploder against Necrofobe not working properly
  • fixed mimic'd !throw choosing an unrelated item as projectile
  • fixed a bug that made damage often reduce HP by 1 more than displayed
  • fixed a bug that applied the dual wield penalty to unarmed fighting
  • fixed an overflow bug on high level brawl with kaiser claw and elemental amp
  • reduced unarmed attack and m.attack growth
  • unarmed/brawl no longer has damage variance
  • equip menu now shows unarmed attack value for characters with brawl ability
  • equip menu now shows dual wielding again as sum of values instead of average
  • toad status now correctly blocks the new skills from being used

I am playing and really enjoying this mod.  I am about to get to the second world.  My only issue is that there are a huge amount of abilities that I'm not clear on what they do.  Reading this topic has helped quite a bit but still I'm not sure how to best uitlize Lord, Oracle, and Magus, or Dark Knight to their full potential.  Is there a database of all this information that I might be missing?  I also am not sure how to learn new abilities with Tinker.  

The in game magic tab just tells the mp cost and element.  As far as misc number madness I can only see a list of passive abilities, which is great, but it's the active abilities I can't figure out.  Please forgive me for all the inconvenience. 

I think I'm clear on everything now except what equipping the correct weapons for your job does.   I am experiencing an issue with Faris as a vampire where having her use an ether on herself causes it to remove mp while other characters using it on her restores it.  I also had an issue once where it let me scroll up and down the predict window even though one is not supposed to be able to do that, and it showed stuff like white and time magic.  Exiting out and then casting a prediction caused a different spell to be cast instead of the prediction. 

the correct weapons are simply stronger, or rather the other weapon types get a penalty to their attack power.

39 minutes ago, Zig said:

I am experiencing an issue with Faris as a vampire where having her use an ether on herself causes it to remove mp while other characters using it on her restores it.

and this is not from her using 100 MP to get the extra turn?

40 minutes ago, Zig said:

I also had an issue once where it let me scroll up and down the predict window even though one is not supposed to be able to do that, and it showed stuff like white and time magic.  Exiting out and then casting a prediction caused a different spell to be cast instead of the prediction. 

has someone reproducable steps for this?

As for the issue with Faris when she uses an ether on herself she immediately gets another turn with 0 mp and when her turn comes up again she still has 0 mp.  Does not seem to happen if someone else uses the ether on her.  

For the issue with predict it happened to me with Lenna as an oracle against the 8 octopus enemy in the underground cave before the moogle village.