praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

309 posts in this topic

yep, i have !x-fight unlocked through ranger! i tried using !X-fight as a command with both the Gale Bow and the Elven Bow and both functioned as expected. i only encountered this issue when !Fight-ing with the Gale Bow. 75% of the time, the Gale Bow is just fine, which is why it took me a second to realize what was causing the hangup.

out of curiosity, i looked to see if any of the other weapons which procced job actions were working with !Fight. haven't made it to the phantom village for the thief knife yet, but Dancing Dagger was able to proc !Dance just fine. Sword Dance and Jitterbug Duet landed as expected in my test as well.

Edited by windydude

So just to be clear any boss can be afflicted with any status ailment now if you try hard enough and mess around with the element board? Also i am horrible at the game probably but i always die any more from the sap caused by the element bored and i dont know how to remove it after makeing the board in my faver...pure doesnt work on that verson of sap so i dont know what to do to prevent it

Edited by verninater

hey verninater: i'm not sure if it's Any Boss with Any Status Ailment, but the majority of enemies and bosses are vulnerable to most elements. i believe polymorph effects like Toad and Tiny don't work on certain bosses, but deal damage instead. if the element of the status effect is the same as the element of the enemy (like try to use Break on an Earth enemy), then that enemy has either a resistance or an immunity-- i haven't tried to test out which it is, but they've never worked for me.

i don't believe that you can stop the damage over time caused by the field effects. if you set up a field to have damage over time effects, the cost is that your party will also be affected by it. i know some bosses have abilities which set the field with a particular dangerous combo effect. if you're struggling with field effects, make sure you're using !Brave for extra to set up the field elements that way you want it. you can also use the Sage's !Meta to use Intense on spells, which causes them to drop two icons instead of one. a mage with !Brv, !Meta, and spells (like !Black or !Summon) can set up a full field with favorable elements, or help recover from the boss's field sabotage, in a single turn.

hope that helps!

On 30.10.2020 at 9:21 AM, windydude said:

out of curiosity, i looked to see if any of the other weapons which procced job actions were working with !Fight. haven't made it to the phantom village for the thief knife yet, but Dancing Dagger was able to proc !Dance just fine. Sword Dance and Jitterbug Duet landed as expected in my test as well.

ok so that more or less proves my suspicion, only x-fight and twincut use the variable. and the later is on no weapon.

12 hours ago, verninater said:

So just to be clear any boss can be afflicted with any status ailment now if you try hard enough and mess around with the element board?

technically yes, but elementally resisted status effects require a ton of effort and high magic stat so it is most likely never worth bothering. status effects work less on rng now and more on a status damage variant. if your magic is too weak and they resist the status the damage may be in fact 0 making it impossible.

12 hours ago, verninater said:

Also i am horrible at the game probably but i always die any more from the sap caused by the element bored and i dont know how to remove it after makeing the board in my faver...pure doesnt work on that verson of sap so i dont know what to do to prevent it

if you mean the sap from:
2 water + 2 earth = 4 poison, set swamp effect
try praising the sun:
2 fire + 2 light = 4 sun, removes swamp effect, dot vs undead units, heal user if consumed

also the dot from swamp is poison element so units weak to poison take much more damage from it.

if instead you mean the sap from:
2 wind + 2 void = 4 vacuum, massive dot
get the icons ASAP out of the field. that one is basically "you die" level of damage

Ah...im stuck on the lady that absorbs elements in the void world...cant remember her name as im on a hiatus...but vaccum came up alot..thanks for the tip

Edited by verninater

I assume you mean Merugene?

This version is a bit stricter on the element gimmick than vanilla's where you could just bruteforce it with physical.
But in comparison she always uses a spell of her current "type" after form change instead of fight/wait for 1-2 rounds where you could only blindly guess in vanilla.
Her forms are fire, ice, bolt and wind - the last replacing a non-elemental high p.def form - each form has one unlisted weakness out of the same elements.
E.g. if she form changes and then casts ice she is weak to fire.

Same as vanilla she always starts with the form weak to fire.
Technically you can bypass the entire gimmick with the pierce passive but she takes 3x damage from her proper weakness so it'd still be worth it to play along.

On 30.10.2020 at 5:58 AM, windydude said:

the arcanist, in particular, has a bunch of very specific abilities that seem powerful, but i'm not much of an arithmetician myself so i'm having trouble cracking any "broken" uses. if anyone's got any tricks or tips for using the arcanist, i'd love to hear them :`) 

!Scan is your friend for L3/4, Odd/Even, Crusher and XXXX.
If the weaknesses line up, cast the damage+status spells and then follow up with GrimWail.
For ChainBolt you want 5+ enemies at the same time.

Edited by praetarius5018

I know it's been a few months since the last post in this topic but i'm looking for some help involving single mode. Vampire seems like a fun class to use but keeping them alive in the early game is quite difficult. Any good classes that can help support that? I feel like absorb would be better at sustaining them if it didn't split. Any tips with vampire in general would be nice, but i am trying single mode so if anyone's tried this without a team of 4 vampires i'd like to hear ideas.

Vampire is difficult them being undead and all.
I assume you already use Skeleton to have a "mini golem" guard.

I'd try some of these:

• TimeMage for HP regen and their usual CC
  • Lord with Insurance to endure death and healing via Judge (expensive early on)
  • Magus for LifeMark after 480 kills (apply on monster, kill it, get healed)
  • RedMage with Depower to reduce both STR&MAG
  • BlueMage BigGuard and Whitewind would cover most problems but comes super late
  • Chemist with GiantMix and Protect for HP+50%, armor and shell
  • Crusader with Shout (mag down) and Growth (HP up)

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Vampire is difficult them being undead and all.
I assume you already use Skeleton to have a "mini golem" guard.

I'd try some of these:

• TimeMage for HP regen and their usual CC
  • Lord with Insurance to endure death and healing via Judge (expensive early on)
  • Magus for LifeMark after 480 kills (apply on monster, kill it, get healed)
  • RedMage with Depower to reduce both STR&MAG
  • BlueMage BigGuard and Whitewind would cover most problems but comes super late
  • Chemist with GiantMix and Protect for HP+50%, armor and shell
  • Crusader with Shout (mag down) and Growth (HP up)

Thanks! I'd tried chemist but the cooldown's kind of intense. But a lot of this is super helpful!