Vaylen

Advice on builds and general tips

6 posts in this topic

Hello there.

I recently played through the ff6 mod BNW and, as I wanted to re-play 7 next anyway, I stumbled upon this mod. Haven't started so far, but I'd like a bit of a heads-up on what to expect.

Some advice on builds on each character would be very appreciated. Additionally, any advice/hints on key differences in this mod would be welcome. Lastly, is there a newer version in the works and could I upgrade to it mid-playthrough?

I always specced Tifa to more speed and attack and turn her into a glass cannon. Her weapons and limit just always struck me to just get as much damage out there as possible. Plus she has the ability to tank one death already.

Cloud, I make him a magic knight. Split his upgrades between magic boosts and str boosts, but leaning more towards magic. 

Barret is a phys tank and Cid I make a spirit tank.

I can't remember what I did with Yuffie, but Vincent I push him towards strength boost.

For differences, you get steal earlier so you can use attack items. I appreciate the fact that you can shut off random encounters. There's new little mini scenarios, like one where you meet Yuffie in a totally different way than in the normal game. A few FF4 references from the Shinra weapon department. 

Edited by velsper

On 30/06/2018 at 7:19 AM, Vaylen said:

Hello there.

I recently played through the ff6 mod BNW and, as I wanted to re-play 7 next anyway, I stumbled upon this mod. Haven't started so far, but I'd like a bit of a heads-up on what to expect.

Some advice on builds on each character would be very appreciated. Additionally, any advice/hints on key differences in this mod would be welcome. Lastly, is there a newer version in the works and could I upgrade to it mid-playthrough?

Most of my build cannont be made the same anymore but basically :

-Cloud : Build him as a Mage since he most of the time forced, might as well gives him this role, lot of support and elemental magic (by the way Quadra-MP-Turbo Magic is really good combo in this mod)

-Tifa : Strength, strength and more strength very good physical damage dealer, end-game she get the Master Fist IMO the second best weapon in the game as with good set up you can reach an insane amount of damage.

-Barret : Tank back when I play you could increase his VIT and SPR to insane level to the point that he was taking 10x less damage than anybody else not to mention his passive that was giving him even more defense, since then his tank ability have been nerf so I dunno how well he can perform now.

-Aerith : Full mage back then she had a +15 Magic option which was making her by far the strongest mage in the game (not to mention she has the most OP limits of the game)

-Red XIII : I was focusing on Magic and Dexterity but since then his option have been reworked, he can be good in any role really as a physical damage his Limit that put him in Berser and increase his strength makes him really good.

-Yuffie : Dexterity is her main stats combine with her innates and she can dodge like crazy so you can use her as an Evasive tank, end game she get the Conformer which is the best weapon in the game and makes her the most powerfull physical fighter of the mod.

-Vincent : Use him as a Mage (Yes I realise I made way to many mage in my playthrough

-Cait Sith : I don't give a damn about him....... but he can be a very good tank compare to Barret he will take more damage than him as more utility thanks to his High Luck and a someone decent MAG than can make him a reasonnable healer as well.

-Cid : STR and LCK by the end of the game however he get outshine by Tifa and Yuffie in term of damage due to them getting OP weapons, tough his ultimate weapon give HP and MP Absorption giving a lot of survivability (especially if you put multiply Counter Materia on him), sadly his final weapon is late game, and also in last update his inate was change (his old innate was the ability to automatically get Barrier or M Barrier when hit by a physical or magical attack).

As for differences with Vanilla :

-Well I think you will notice most of them as they are put on your way during the main quest.

-Once you are at Disc 3 in the highwind one of the NPC will inform you about all the new quests (and so the new bosses)

-The only boss I can think of that isn't mention by the NPC is Ozma to fight this boss you will have to beat Lost Number in Shinra Mansion at Nibelheim, then play the piano in Shinra Mansion with the same music you would use to get Tifa's Final Heaven in Vanilla and then go to Nibelheim Reactor.

Soo, to put it shortly...
Cloud is a main mage? Seems.. off. But I guess he has the main character syndrome(Jack of all trades).
Tifa is the resident glass cannon.
Barret is a tank. That said, a character that is just a TANK and nothing else is pretty useless. What is his main offence(M or P) and does he have good utility?

Aerith as a mage, makes sense.

Red is... another hybrid M/P, I guess?
Yuffie is another glass cannon~ish character, but with high evasion.

Vincent... I guess a mage primarily, or are physical builds also strong?
Cait Sith~ I might be the only one who kinda likes Cait Sith... Though, the one I like is Reeves. I guess he is a utility mage/tank.
Cid is "bruiser". Strong phys, strong defence.

Got that about right?

Ozma, huh... The superboss of FF9 was called Ozma, too.

12 hours ago, Vaylen said:

Soo, to put it shortly...
Cloud is a main mage? Seems.. off. But I guess he has the main character syndrome(Jack of all trades).
Tifa is the resident glass cannon.
Barret is a tank. That said, a character that is just a TANK and nothing else is pretty useless. What is his main offence(M or P) and does he have good utility?

Aerith as a mage, makes sense.

Red is... another hybrid M/P, I guess?
Yuffie is another glass cannon~ish character, but with high evasion.

Vincent... I guess a mage primarily, or are physical builds also strong?
Cait Sith~ I might be the only one who kinda likes Cait Sith... Though, the one I like is Reeves. I guess he is a utility mage/tank.
Cid is "bruiser". Strong phys, strong defence.

Got that about right?

Ozma, huh... The superboss of FF9 was called Ozma, too.

Cloud is actually hybrid if you wish you can make him a physical fighter, a caster or do a balance build of the 2 depending of what rank up option you choose, same with Red and Vincent

Barret to put it simply back when I play you could get +120 Vit and Spr through his rank up alone that was insane and was making him almost impossible to kill, and then I was using him for buffs like Haste, Barrier, Regen and  spell like Life 2 that don't rely of the magic stat, the Ennemy Skill "White Wind" is also very good as Barret has the highest Max HP.
Now however you can't get over 80 Vit and Spr which reduce his tanking ability however you can now in addition to these 80 point gives him either 100 point toward Magic (4 times Heavy Metals and 4 Times Techno-Freak) to gives him more healing ability and possibility to attack decently with magic or +120 STR (8 times Marauder) to makes him a tanky physical fighter, it's your call.

Also for Cid should note that he also has a very high luck which for a long portion of the game makes him shine as he will crit more often than the other physical fighters.

For Yuffie you can also build her as a mage to basically gives her the same role as Barret only relying on Dodge instead of tanking directly.

As for Ozma yes this mod as some references to other FF games ^^

35 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

Cloud is actually hybrid if you wish you can make him a physical fighter, a caster or do a balance build of the 2 depending of what rank up option you choose, same with Red and Vincent

Barret to put it simply back when I play you could get +120 Vit and Spr through his rank up alone that was insane and was making him almost impossible to kill, and then I was using him for buffs like Haste, Barrier, Regen and  spell like Life 2 that don't rely of the magic stat, the Ennemy Skill "White Wind" is also very good as Barret has the highest Max HP.
Now however you can't get over 80 Vit and Spr which reduce his tanking ability however you can now in addition to these 80 point gives him either 100 point toward Magic (4 times Heavy Metals and 4 Times Techno-Freak) to gives him more healing ability and possibility to attack decently with magic or +120 STR (8 times Marauder) to makes him a tanky physical fighter, it's your call.

Also for Cid should note that he also has a very high luck which for a long portion of the game makes him shine as he will crit more often than the other physical fighters.

For Yuffie you can also build her as a mage to basically gives her the same role as Barret only relying on Dodge instead of tanking directly.

As for Ozma yes this mod as some references to other FF games ^^

Okay, thanks. Very helpful, I'll keep those tips in mind as pointers.