Eternal

Final Fantasy XII (PC): The Struggle for Freedom - A Difficulty Mod

62 posts in this topic

I think I've found a bug: The game sometimes freezes when I enter clan centurio.

It just happened a second time and it never happened once while I was playing vanilla.

@Cross: I'd argue that he's a little more gimmicky now than he was before, mostly out of necessity due to some new mechanics IZJS/TZA introduces that make the player able to cheese the fight. That being said, it's nothing terribly frustrating (and it's something you'd likely be doing anyways), but you'll know what I'm talking about when/if you ever fight him, haha.

@Joelback03: Unfortunately, as of right now, you're the first person reporting that bug. I'm not sure why it would do that, as nothing was changed with the Clan Hall or even Clan Centurio itself. I think it might be an isolated incident. Have you had freezing issues in other places? Also, did you make sure to replace the FileSizeTable file as noted in the Readme?

The game froze for me when hovering over "unequip all" in the equipment menu when playing vanilla, so the freezing here was probably connected to that.

And yes, I followed every step in the readme. It was the greatest readme I've ever read tbh.

That's definitely very weird, since I haven't encountered that, nor has anyone else who's been playing through it. I really wish I could be of more help, but my only suggestion would be to uninstall, reinstall, and then repatch the mod, but I'm not sure if that would fix it.

Let's just say that..."Die monster, you don't belong in this world!" line comes to mind whenever I see a Yiazmat vid or me just hacking away at his ass.

Hey folks, update 1.3 will likely be released Friday. Here's what's on the changelog so far. Overall, not a huge update like 1.4 will likely be, but this should fix a few bugs and balance issues that were plaguing previous versions.

1.3 Changelog:

-The PS2 License Board can now be used without issue.

-A version of the mod has been included that rebalances each of the 12 original jobs for TZA's dual job system. A Readme has been included with details on each of the jobs, and the old Tweaked 12 Jobs version is being phased out.

-Demon Wall (Strong) now drops a Demonsbane.

-Lindbur Wolf now has the Assassin's Dagger as a Drop, rather than the Chopper found in prior versions.

-White Robes and Black Robes have been rebalanced and no longer boost elements, rather, White Robes focuses more on Resistance and Black Robes focuses more on Magick.

-Seitengrat's stats are no longer bugged.

-Kumbha now no longer ignores Licenses.

-Ardor has had a slight increase in power.

-Darkga's animation has been reverted to increase the speed of the spell.

-Dark/Darkra/Darkga have had their power increased to match their original TZA levels.

-Dark/Darkra/Darkga have had their MP decreased to match their original TZA levels.

-Dark/Darkra/Darkga now have 6 AoE, rather than 8 (Dark/Darkga) and 4 (Darkra).

-Dark Mote is now AoE, to match the regular Dark spell.

-Decoy now has 100% accuracy.

-Painflare's animation has been changed to properly be AoE.

Yiazmat even having his vanilla HP is still ludicrous.  That fight was never fun.  It was an absolute chore.  Hell Wyrm was a decent length in vanilla, but again, with the set attack pattern, it was more a chore than anything.  I'm not familiar with the cheesing of Yiazmat in the vanilla other than briefly reading about a way to attack without getting attacked yourself or something (I believe it took a short time to set up or something).

Agreed with Cross.  His insta-death attack was a joke when you still have to chop off 15 million health and he's attacking with 10-16 hit combos, with a (5%?) death on each hit.  Reduce that % or something.  No sane person enjoyed that fight - not because it was hard.  Because it was tedious.

While XII's story didn't offer devious, sinister supervillain(s) like VI or VII, the antagonists' dreams were romantic (not in the usual definition, of course) and even relatable, and the gameplay itself was top-notch.  The license board system you've implemented sounds interesting.  Last time I played was the IZJS English patch a few years back.  I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

I think they should have take Trial Mod version of Yazmat and put it in the main game rather than keeping him as he was, they reduce his HP to 3 millions which make the length of the fight way more reasonable additionnaly he uses Growing Threat sooner in Trial Mod version, this version of Yazmat is IMO more enjoyable than his regular Giga HP sponge version.

yazzie fight was around 35-40 min for an optimized group in vanilla and a little more than half of that in izjs, even with that bs instant kill mechanic. He really isn't a huge issue and totally optional. Should keep him as is or maybe even buff him a bit (I don't mean more hp). 

5 minutes ago, Limlight said:

yazzie fight was around 35-40 min for an optimized group in vanilla and a little more than half of that in izjs, even with that bs instant kill mechanic. He really isn't a huge issue and totally optional. Should keep him as is or maybe even buff him a bit (I don't mean more hp). 

The time was sadly kind of RNG depending of how he succefully land Instant-kill on your character not to mention that from what I've read the Decoy + Reverse strat that was necessary for doing that kind of time is no longuer possible, but the main problem is 40 minutes for a fight as repetitive as this one isn't interesting it just make the boss boring, clearly a thing that for some reasons Square like to do for their ultimate superboss in this period (Penance in FFX has basically the same problem), you don't need supidly High HP to make a fight interesting and/or challenging so in my opinion Yazmat's HP should be greatly reduce but he should be made over all Harder (they did the first part in IZJS's Trial Mod giving him 3 million HP only making more reasonable), or keep his HP as they are but making him so that he changes his behavior during fight to keep the player

"legendary" monsters like that should be a bit of a grind imo, it doesn't really bother me fighting one for 40min ish. I view it as resource management and grinding it down, but i'm probably the oddball of most rpg players as I really enjoy long fights where I have to be on the ball constantly with buffs, debuffs, etc. 

5 hours ago, Limlight said:

"legendary" monsters like that should be a bit of a grind imo, it doesn't really bother me fighting one for 40min ish. I view it as resource management and grinding it down, but i'm probably the oddball of most rpg players as I really enjoy long fights where I have to be on the ball constantly with buffs, debuffs, etc. 

Well I enjoy that kind of fight to but Yazmat wasn't really one :

-99 Gold Needles and 99 Chrono Tears is more than enough even in the fight would last over 2 hours
-Reverse + Decoy suppress the need to heal outside of death
-Syphon on your physical damage DPS (that thanks to combo of the Masamune in Vanilla + the License that allow you to regain MP when dealing damage (forgot the english name of that license) will always have a lot of MP to take) suppress the need of MP management

So it all come down to running around in circle while having Decoy and Reverse on while your 2 physical damage dealer are killing him in Critical HP and Berserk while occasionnaly casting Syphon on them and the fight never vary from that only occasionnal variation are when he manage to Insta-kill your Decoy/Reverse tank.

that was my first point about being able to kill him in 20 min. he isn't a challenge to being with even with that hp pool, he isn't difficult even in trial mode either :( now if the mod could make him immune to reverse or decoy or even both, now that's something for me personally to get excited about. 

Edited by Limlight

Great conversation, guys! SFF has been updated to 1.3 and can be found here, as well as a full changelog:

https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy12/mods/59

As far as Yiazmat is concerned, I was tempted to curb his HP, but I feel that would kind of defeat what he was known for. He's dangerous in other ways now though, and he's much harder to cheese. As for Reverse, Reverse only works on enemies now, so you can't cheese fights with it any more. Decoy has also been slightly changed, acting as a buff now with better accuracy. It's not broken any more however, as it can't be combined with Reverse.

12 hours ago, Eternal said:

As far as Yiazmat is concerned, I was tempted to curb his HP, but I feel that would kind of defeat what he was known for. He's dangerous in other ways now though, and he's much harder to cheese. As for Reverse, Reverse only works on enemies now, so you can't cheese fights with it any more. Decoy has also been slightly changed, acting as a buff now with better accuracy. It's not broken any more however, as it can't be combined with Reverse.

Yeah that was my point you can't cheese him anymore with Decoy + Reverse so I assume it's not possible to beat him as fast as it was possible in vanilla which is why I think you could let him with 15-20 millions HP instead of 50 would still make him an endurance fight like he is suppose to be without seems like the fight is taking needlessly to long, then again I  can't try this mod out (and probably will not be able for a very long time) so I can't test anything.

Edited by Nesouk

eternal you sly dog, you're tempting me into buying the pc version (I have the ps4 version) just for this mod. I truly love this game, and I always wished for a "hard mode" for storyline fights and the "legendary" hunts would be bonkers. 

Been playing with the struggle boards, and I think the tradeoff of how much is locked off if you go for an early quickening is a bit extreme (as it's very difficult to beat the mimic boss without either tons of grinding or using at least a couple quickenings). My suggestion would be to only lock the extras on the struggle boards behind two quickenings rather than three, for at least Vaan/Fran/Balthier. (I grinded about 80 potions to use in lieu of cures and it's still a difficult fight).

Also, the 10% heal on first aid feels a little low even for what it does, as at 4x speed it still takes 20-30 seconds to top off. I'd suggest doing somewhere between 15-20% on the heal, which would let it be potentially useful in fights on occasion (as right now all it really does is take the place of hp regen outside of battle).

Edited by intri

Hey there Intri, thanks for your post!

In regards to the Quickening shortcuts, it's meant to be a huge tradeoff. You either get to cheese the first half of the game's bosses with Quickenings and sacrifice some power later on, or you be patient and wait until late-game to get your Quickenings (which are still amazing at that point, especially as finishers, because they're free, uninterruptable attacks). Much like in IZJS where choosing your jobs had permanent and heavy ramifications, so too here is choosing when to take that power. At its core, SFF (and the Struggle board in particular) emphasizes using strategy to destroy your foes, and Quickening spam runs counter to that. Honestly, I'd love to completely change the Quickening system to make them more similar to traditional Limit Breaks, but there's a great amount of hardcoding behind them that doesn't make them viable at the moment.

In regards to Mimic Queen, she's probably one of the most straightforward bosses in the game. Probably even moreso compared to Firemane, as he can Poison and Oil you. Most people don't need anywhere near 80 Potions to beat it. Barheim itself is probably worse than the Mimic Queen, at least in my own opinion. The key to Mimic Queen is making sure your gear is as up to date as possible and fighting everything you come across beforehand to get the LP for said gear. Silver Bow, Mage Masher, and especially Balthier's latest Gun will make short work of it. Guns in particular are important against Mimics as they bypass their decently high Defense. Fran can also use Fire on the Mimic Queen repeatedly to try and Oil it, which will make future Fire casts inflict 3x damage. Overall, keeping Basch alive is also crucial as he adds some DPS to the fight. The biggest trick the Queen has is Breath of Life, which restores 5% of her HP. If you're playing too defensively, she'll likely come close to at least nulling most of the damage you do, which is part of the reason why keeping Basch alive is important.

On the topic of First Aid, in very early SFF builds, it restored 15% HP. The challenge then became that it was making Potions and Cure spells useless in comparison. To that end, First Aid was dropped to 10%. First Aid isn't meant to be used in battle. It's meant to be set as a low-priority Gambit to heal between fights. And remember, multiple characters can use it, so it can patch you up pretty quickly between fights to conserve items and MP. For fights though, you're definitely going to want to use items or Cure.

Sorry for the triple post. Version 1.5 is out and is probably one of the bigger changes to the overall game since 1.0. Essentially, almost every weapon has been retouched in some way to make them more tactically viable. This opens up an array of different builds you can try out depending on which version of the mod you're playing.

A full changelog can be found here on Google Docs.

The mod itself can be downloaded here on Mega.nz.

I look forward to seeing what stuff will be broken, haha. As always, let me know if you have any feedback or such. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Eternal

Apologies for the noise, everyone. A fellow modder noticed that some of the enemy changes I made for 1.5 didn't take, so this is a corrected version. Not a huge deal, it mostly just affects early-game enemies at Garamsythe and Barheim.

It can be downloaded here.

This FFXII mod sounds fucking awesome. I've been wanting a IZJS mod for years, so you got a new player here. And I coincidentally bought FFXII not so long ago. Cheers.

Also, btw. Which link should I download, the one in your last post, or the one in the original post? I'd recommend always keeping an updated link in the original post.

Hey Hart, my apologies, I usually update the main post but I apparently forgot, heh.

I was actually going to post that there's a fix for the fix (some folks have had issues with character limits in regards to the file name in 1.5.1). I'm at work, so I can't access it at the moment, but the 1.5.2 update is the one you'll be wanting to go for and is on the Nexus (if you just search for FFXII Struggle for Freedom Nexus it should pop right up).

I'll be updating the main post when I get home with the most corrected and updated link so it's on here as well. I'm not sure what the policy is for linking to modding sites outside of here, so I don't want to step on any toes by linking to the Nexus page. :P

Thanks for your interest, let me know how your playthrough goes! I'm always looking for feedback.

Update: Here's the latest update.

Edited by Eternal