Sign in to follow this  
Thirdtwin

Can't unequip the Bishamon from Hawk

4 posts in this topic

I'm playing the current patch (1.042) on Normal difficulty with Rogue Hawk, Starlancer Lise and Godhand Kevin, just finished fighting Lightgazer as my second God-beast and something weird's going on. I've been using Hawk as a caster lately so I decided to stick the caster-boosting gear on him to up his damage. For Hawk's weapon that's the Bishamon. So I messed around in the Temple of Light some, beat Lightgazer, then came out and decided I felt like mining more crits instead so I went to switch to the Elf Dagger. But the game wouldn't let me. Every time I clicked on Elf Dagger in the menu, the game would make the cancel noise and not change his equipment. It still displayed a stat change as if it could switch (unlike trying to equip a spear or something, which doesn't), it just wouldn't let me change it. I messed around with some saves and followed it back to the Temple of Light, when I first put it on. From that point, I was still wearing the Elf Dagger. I could switch with any other weapon freely, which I tested. But as soon as I equipped the Bishamon I once again lost the ability to equip any other weapon on Hawk. I could change any other piece of equipment of his, and it had no effect on anybody else's ability to equip things. Testing it on the other characters, the same thing hasn't happened with Kevin's Ghost Hand nor Lise's Wolf Fang. It's only Kevin's Bishamon that locks him out from equipping any other knife.  I might just mess around with a cheat code to switch it out if I have to, but I wanted to let you know too because that's a pretty specific glitch. 

Oh, that is easy.
The Bishamon (weapon id 0x67) has copied the property of the Protect Ring (armor id 0x67),
not that it should but... it does.

The cheats for this are NOT simple!!
SD3 moves its data around sometimes when it feels like it (world map transition, save game load).

You first need to know which slot Hawk has when you chose your party.
With that knowledge you have to read the value from:
7E2040 - 1st hero
7E2042 - 2nd hero
7E2044 - 3rd hero
2 bytes though.
Common values would be ED60, F060, F360.
Let's take the first one.
You have to add 0x00BC to it and put a 7F before the first value to get the weapon id.

This result should be 7FEE1C for the weapon id.

Sorry, as I said, SD3 is not simple.

Alright, thanks for the help. I fiddled around with it and it turned out to be 7FEE1C, like you said. There's a weapon patch code list on gamefaqs with all the digits and I used that to figure out how to put the Elf Dagger (0x60) back in. (I must have misdone the cheat thing a couple of times or something though because somehow I ended up putting a shamshir on Lise at first, though.) I do find it curious that the weapon inherited the can't remove property from the armor somehow, that's weird. Anyway I'm about to go beat up the Cave of Darkness now. Thanks again!

If it ended up on Lise you were semi-lucky that the data block in the 7FEExx area was one of your characters.
As I wrote, character data can "freely" move around. You could have hit a "blank", a sprite, AI (=bye bye game), etc.