Sign in to follow this  
BitiumRibbon

Randomized Run - With a Twist

1 post in this topic

Okay, so in case anyone is interested in this dumb thing I'm having fun doing.

I have played through BNW, and a randomized BNW, and now I'm doing something a little different. I'm using a save state editor to go in and make tweaks after randomizing the rom, and it's turned out fun so I thought I'd share what I'm doing/the rules I made for myself. 

Ingredients:

1. BNW (randomized to your own desire - I went with Characters 1.0, Treasure 1.0, Monsters 0.5, Espers 0.3, and RNG 1.0)

2. A decent save editor that allows for editing battle commands (I'm using an old one I had on hand, but such things exist via Google)

3. A 20-sided die

The Game:

Every time I get a new character, I roll the d20 to decide on their new battle menu, according to my little list below. In most cases, a character has Fight, Magic, [COMMAND], Item - with certain exceptions, which I've added in below. Where it was feasible/reasonable, I replaced the "Fight" command with something else, just to make things interesting. When that happens, I've "paired" certain commands to them (e.g. Mug with Throw) in a way that I figured made some sense. I also threw in minimum stat requirements, to prevent characters from getting skills that made them completely useless, but I didn't include that here. I thought about replacing the "Magic" command but as it turns out, you can't equip Espers on a character that has no "Magic" command, so... anyway.

The other thing is that there are certain times you need to either change the command back to normal (e.g. Locke's steal in South Figaro) or delay changing it for a bit (Cyan's Bushido to beat the general).

1. Morph  
  2. Steal
  3. Mug  -->  Replaces "Fight", pairs with "Throw" (Mug, Magic, Throw, Item)
  4. Bushido* 
  5. Throw 
  6. Tools
  7. Blitz
  8. Runic*  -->  Replaces "Fight", pairs with "X-Magic" (Runic, Magic, X-Magic, Item)
  9. Lore***
  10. Sketch*
  11. Slot
  12. GP Toss**
  13. Rage  -->  Replaces "Fight", pairs with "Leap" (Rage, Magic, Leap, Item)
  14. Mimic  -->  Replaces "Fight" with no extra command (Mimic, Magic, NOTHING, Item)
  15. Dance***
  16. Jump
  17. Health  -->  Replaces "Fight", pairs with "Lore" (Health, Magic, Lore, Item)
  18. Shock****
  19. and 20. Mulligan - Reroll

* As I learned the hard way, if you don't randomize equipment at all, these commands are still tied to equipment. I had to re-roll Gau because he got Bushido and couldn't equip Bushido equipment. So, next time I do this, I'mma randomize equipment a little as well.
    ** I didn't actually use GP Toss because I don't like it. Thbbpt.
    *** All commands are tied to the person who is supposed to have that command (like Blitz and Bushido are learned based on Sabin and Cyan's levels respectively) so this means that landing an early-game Lore or Dance command means you don't get much use out of it for a while, which is a little sucky but them's the breaks!
    **** I actually rolled Shock but didn't end up using it because I thought it would be massively OP.

So playing with the combinations and so forth has actually been really fun. My Terra, for example, got the Runic build and was given a nice Magic stat, so she can kaboom things all day but can't actually hit things with sticks at all, and I'm also forced to get a lot more use out of the Runic command than I otherwise would. Similarly, Gau landed with Mug, which is getting me to do a lot more stealing than I normally do with a randomized rom, because randomizing treasure and item drops means you don't actually know which enemies are carrying stuff. 

In another run my friend and I are doing of this, someone landed the Health command, and yeah Health is OP but the tradeoff is that they don't get to attack without using MP. 

Anyway, I'm having fun with it. Let me know if y'all want screenshots or anything, or just ignore me. ^_^

Edited by BitiumRibbon