BTB

Coming Soon: Brave New World 2.0

214 posts in this topic

We made a policy of not delivering ETAs when we missed our initial launch prediction by a year and a half.

Well, Synchysi has all of the patches sorted out so now we're just in the process of alpha testing to make sure there are no crashes find as many crashes as we can and fix them first.

In the meantime, I think y'all have waited long enough... how about some official 2.0 documentation for ya:

http://btb2.free.fr/mods/ff6/Readme.txt
http://btb2.free.fr/mods/ff6/Printme.xls
http://btb2.free.fr/mods/ff6/Unlockme.rar

(Note that the Unlockme is complete save for updated screenshots, which we obviously can't get yet! It does contain a LOT of other goodies, though - check out the BNWCP!)

Also, one last little surprise for y'all... @Deschain and his Mrs. have been working on a graphical version of the Readme in the style of the original manual. It's very much a WIP at this point (again, screenshots), but it's looking damn good from what I've been seeing.

Edited by BTB

The new Unlockme has a small error.  Very low chance of an actual spoiler in the spoiler tag below, but just in case:

Spoiler

Line 680: One reference to the Wrexsoul drop has not been updated to the new drop

Overall I like a lot of the organizational changes and a lot of the cleaning up.  The change of "bad coding" to "shit coding" made me crack a smile.

I would still strongly advise removing the suggestion of a rape joke on line 540.  That shit is just not acceptable.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Can I give a suggestion? Recently I tried FF6 - the eternal crystals... while the hack is absolutely unbalanced to the point of Reeeeeeeeeee, it had a cool feature, Locke could throw knives.

To me, it makes perfectly sense that a thief treasure hunter can throw a knife, and given that a lot of enemies carry mithryl knives, and stealing refills Locke's atb, it can be a very nice strategy to steal an enemy's knife and then "give it back" to the owner LOL.

Also it makes sense due to Locke's dual wield that gives him something in common with Shadow, the only issue would be making Shurikens and scrolls inaccesible to Locke cause he's not a ninja.

Edited by SWhite

That would risk making Locke OP in early area especially in Zozo where you can steal Butterfly an Knife that deals Double damage on human.... in an area fill with Human type ennemies, also on a diversity subject Throw is what make Shadow unique so personnaly I wouldn't like another character to be able to do it (even more if it's just to do it with less options), plus Shadow can already does that to an extent equip him with the Switchblades that gives him a chance to steal and you can already do what you describe.

Sooo... On the name of "diversity" Shadow can imitate Locke by stealing, but Locke can't imitate Shadow by throwing knives, a kind of weapons he's adept with?

Yeah, your logic is flawless

12 minutes ago, SWhite said:

Sooo... On the name of "diversity" Shadow can imitate Locke by stealing, but Locke can't imitate Shadow by throwing knives, a kind of weapons he's adept with?

Yeah, your logic is flawless

Shadow can but you need a special weapon that isn't that good outside of that so that's handicaping Shadow, plus he doesn't get the free turn afterward if I recall correctly so it's not really recommended to use Shadow that way as it kind of nerf him for no real benefit. Also being good at swinging a Knife doesn't mean you are good at throwing them properly.

As an expert on the matter, I can assure you dual wielding knives/swords is way more difficult than throwing a knife

Very few martial artist choose that option due to how difficult/impractical it is, so it's logicak to think that a dual wielder might be able to effectively throw

2 hours ago, SWhite said:

Can I give a suggestion? Recently I tried FF6 - the eternal crystals... while the hack is absolutely unbalanced to the point of Reeeeeeeeeee, it had a cool feature, Locke could throw knives.

To me, it makes perfectly sense that a thief treasure hunter can throw a knife, and given that a lot of enemies carry mithryl knives, and stealing refills Locke's atb, it can be a very nice strategy to steal an enemy's knife and then "give it back" to the owner LOL.

Also it makes sense due to Locke's dual wield that gives him something in common with Shadow, the only issue would be making Shurikens and scrolls inaccesible to Locke cause he's not a ninja.

That's definitely a neat idea, but I can't really figure out a good way to implement it mechanically.

On 2/11/2019 at 10:20 AM, Miasmir said:

The new Unlockme has a small error.  Very low chance of an actual spoiler in the spoiler tag below, but just in case:

Reveal hidden contents

Line 680: One reference to the Wrexsoul drop has not been updated to the new drop

Overall I like a lot of the organizational changes and a lot of the cleaning up.  The change of "bad coding" to "shit coding" made me crack a smile.

I would still strongly advise removing the suggestion of a rape joke on line 540.  That shit is just not acceptable.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Hey, thanks for mentioning the r*pe joke thing.  There have been a few things like that in past versions of this hack (namely IIRC there was some "tentacle" related content with the Ultros fight in the mountains, and some stuff with Edgar I felt didn't add much to the story/wasn't particularly funny, but did make me super uncomfortable) but I'm always afraid to bring stuff like that up in gaming communities because like, "edgelord"-y humor is so much the norm still.

Quick question: I'm playng BNW 1.9.0, when the 2.0 will be released, will I just need to repatch my game and keep playing from where I was, or will I have to start a new game?

I think you will have to restart to see the full range of changes. Stats and spell lists are being tweaked, and those changes won't automatically apply to an existing save. Not sure if any new item(s) come at the expense of retiring old ones, but that sort of thing can cause weird results too. Any treasure locations being shuffled around could cause you to miss certain items (or receive unintended extras) as well.

It's generally a good idea to start over if you want the intended experience, unless it's a minor/patch update that doesn't adjust any of these sort of properties.

There’s a lot of new stuff coming in. A lot. Trying to use a 1.9 save will likely softlock or generate all kinds of weird item combinations. It won’t be playable.  

I remember when I reload a save file of of 1.8 with 1.9 all kind of weird stuff happened like characters having spells they aren't suppose to have, Gau having 25 EL while I barely played him...etc..

Yeah, I mean, all it takes is for the address of something recorded in the save data to change in the new version to cause mayhem. Just imagine that the location of a whole bank of counters shifts by a few positions, and suddenly Shadow's speed becomes Gau's Vigor, or your GP becomes someone's EP. Or the location of spells or items change, and now Cyan's Holy (which he shouldn't even have now to begin with) becomes Goner or something, and his Mutsunokami becomes a Ribbon. I have no idea how the ROM or savedata are organized, so these are just contrived examples, obviously. I'd be curious to know what sort of things are recorded in the savedata that could cause softlock upon load in the new version though, I find that kinda neat.

For a more tangible example, 2.0 changes the addresses of quite a number of spells, so a lot of those will be in the wrong spaces if you try to load a 1.9 save file.

Just an update to anyone who doesn't hang around in our Discord... the beta is still forthcoming, pending getting all of the very many external hacks tetrised into place and some initial checks to make sure nothing is making the game crash. Hopefully it won't be too much longer - thanks everyone for your patience.

If you are interested in joining the beta, please hop into our Discord and request the tester role - you'll be notified when the beta is released and the role can be used to report issues/concerns and communicate with the other testers.