BTB

Coming Soon: Brave New World 2.0

214 posts in this topic

I noticed that the updated ReadMe no longer lists the following bug as a "known issue", but also does not mention it as being fixed in the version history:

Physical Rage attacks that set sleep (Raven and Eye Goo) will reportedly always miss on enemies
with large sprites; this one is particularly difficult to nail down due to its transient nature
and tendency to randomly fix itself in the process of troubleshooting it

I only ask because I recently stumbled onto the cause of the bug, and wanted to share it (in case it hasn't already been fixed). I believe it happens in the subroutine that adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag to any monster special effect with the "death" status. I don't have the address for BNW handy, but in vanilla, the address where BNW jumps to the new subroutine is C2/334B. In the BNW (1.9) subroutine, the status byte is checked for #80, and if set, it adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag. The problem is, the status byte stored in the accumulator could be any of the 4 status bytes (indexed by X). That means any attack with Death, Sleep, Reflect, or Float will miss targets immune to instant death.

Edited by Bropedio

7 hours ago, Bropedio said:

I noticed that the updated ReadMe no longer lists the following bug as a "known issue", but also does not mention it as being fixed in the version history:

I only ask because I recently stumbled onto the cause of the bug, and wanted to share it (in case it hasn't already been fixed). I believe it happens in the subroutine that adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag to any monster special effect with the "death" status. I don't have the address for BNW handy, but in vanilla, the address where BNW jumps to the new subroutine is C2/334B. In the BNW (1.9) subroutine, the status byte is checked for #80, and if set, it adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag. The problem is, the status byte stored in the accumulator could be any of the 4 status bytes (indexed by X). That means any attack with Death, Sleep, Reflect, or Float will miss targets immune to instant death.

Well, if that's the case, it should be pretty easily checkable since instant death and sleep are different immunity packages. I can't say for sure thinking back to 1.9 if that's the entire issue or if it seems like there's something else... definitely something to add to the testing notes, though!

1 hour ago, SarahShinespark said:

Btw... who IS Owzer, anyway?

An incredibly rich and overweight Jidooran noble who looks like a clothed Jabba the Hutt, likes showing off his collections of 'art' to people in order to socialize and impress, and doesn't mind underaged girls hanging around his place (especially if doing work for him) for long periods of time. That the underaged girl in question draws mostly nude artwork (coughStarletcough) makes things even better in Owzer's eyes.

So basically your standard noble with too much time and money, along with Relm being Relm (and of the two, there's an honest question about which one is skeevier here given that neither underaged girls or nudity showed up as part of things until Relm became involved).:P

So, I know things have been quiet here lately, but a surprising amount of eleventh-hour shit has managed to find its way into 2.0, resulting in a rather massive update required to the documentation. The changelog in the initial post has been updated and that is FINAL - anyone who puts in something new that ISN'T one of the purple (not yet delivered) entries is getting an ass full of pipewrench.

On 7/27/2019 at 8:07 PM, BTB said:

So, I know things have been quiet here lately, but a surprising amount of eleventh-hour shit has managed to find its way into 2.0, resulting in a rather massive update required to the documentation. The changelog in the initial post has been updated and that is FINAL - anyone who puts in something new that ISN'T one of the purple (not yet delivered) entries is getting an ass full of pipewrench.

I never played any ff6 hacks this will be my first one :D , i guess I'll wait to start with 2.0

Idk what it is all about since I've only played the original game with different translations patches

On 7/17/2019 at 3:25 AM, GLH said:

An incredibly rich and overweight Jidooran noble who looks like a clothed Jabba the Hut

OMG I totally forgot about him! I haven't gotten to Relm in WoR in so long I thought the mansion was Dancho's 😅 

On 7/27/2019 at 7:07 PM, BTB said:

The changelog in the initial post has been updated and that is FINAL - anyone who puts in something new that ISN'T one of the purple (not yet delivered) entries is getting an ass full of pipewrench.

OH MY GOD.

"Enemies disabled by status effects can no longer counter-attack on death"

"Green Cherries will now cancel any action that the target has queued (-Bropedio)" -Sounds like a low level way to fight bosses lol

"Status-setting attacks now provide more feedback if that status attempt fails (-Bropedio)

--> If the target resists the status with stamina, a "FAIL" message is displayed

--> If the target is immune to the status, a "NULL" message is displayed"

-AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

"Shops can now display the "full" stats of of equipment prior to purchase (-dn)

• The equip menu now displays full item descriptions as the inventory screen does (-GrayShadows)

• The rage menu now displays the attacks on each rage (-dn)"

Enemy names "Doggo" and "Rhydon" 😂

"Version 2.0 (August 31, 2019)" 💀

4 hours ago, Lelfol said:

I never played any ff6 hacks this will be my first one :D , i guess I'll wait to start with 2.0

Idk what it is all about since I've only played the original game with different translations patches

Let's just say you'll be entering... a brave new world.

7 minutes ago, SarahShinespark said:

"Green Cherries will now cancel any action that the target has queued (-Bropedio)" -Sounds like a low level way to fight bosses lol

Actually, the issue (If I recall correctly) is that the queued action results in the Rage status being set again. This causes the Rage 'status' to be reapplied and Gau keeps doin' his thing.

I've been following this since back on Insanely Difficult and boy, I can't wait for this update.

I know it's tough to put a date, but do you have a hopeful ETA for release? 

7 minutes ago, blitzkingjecht said:

I've been following this since back on Insanely Difficult and boy, I can't wait for this update.

I know it's tough to put a date, but do you have a hopeful ETA for release? 

Not really. Best I can tell you is that the current beta is the final version in all but name.

Well, the unified equip screen is now in and you'll notice a very distinct lack of purple entries (not yet delivered) in the changelog in the initial post.

In other news, I've recently posted an article about good boss design in RPGs, specifically discussing Atma Weapon and Kaiser's 2.0 rewrite. It's not TOO spoilery for the latter as what I discuss is mostly limited to what you are given as a hint from a random NPC on how to beat Kaiser (information without which the fight is something out of the tenth circle of Hell).

Edited by BTB

Hi, i love your mod, it's a much more funny game now.

At the moment, i'm trying the 2.0 beta and i've finished the 1.9 in the past. I'm using the beta testing list to find problems on the PSP emulator Snes9xTYLme, and for now the checklist is ok. 

I'm at the begin of the Kefka's tower now, so quite at the end, and i'd like to report some of my wishes and considerations, for what they're worth:

• The second boss battle in Narshe is too much simple. What about a nerf to moogles weapons?
  • a bit more health for phantom train and KingBehemoth please
  • WEAPON,the enemy in the ancient caste, is too much rare. It is the most beautiful fight in that dungeon, and there is not a real boss there, so why not spamming WEAPON inside the castle like there is no tomorrow? 
  • zombie protect to the memento ring, please (That is not dead, which can rise again).
  • Gogo is pink in Cyan’s dream (when you must find your friends).
  • Crusader is now useless…at all (auto-reflect? mhe…give me 25% of hp or power! a status defense at least. Come on, it’s Crusader!).
  • i think steal is a bit too nerf, especially for Locke (in WOR, Shadow with switchblade can easily do the job). You can obtain only consumable items from steal and some hidden equipment, so why not using the ffx system? you can steal only consumable and hidden, yes, but you can do this multiple times in a battle, with scaling rates of success.
  • In the same way, rare steals are such a pain. is there any possibility to create a new relic, only for Locke, to steal only rare items(just like ffx! god…i love that game)? 
  • interceptor, the dog, is quite rare. i know that someone else asked the same question, but i want to try again: is it possible to create a new relic for shadow to increase the chances to use the dog?
  • is it possible to add a weak knife with Mute status (the traditional Mage masher)?
  • what do you think about the implementation of the right and left hand system in the equipment menu (bonus for the main hand of the character, just like ffIV)? 
  • it’s just a wish, but it would be very nice if someone created a patch for Celes with Maria dress in the unlockme.

just my 2 cents...nothing more.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, Nomjitsu said:

Does anyone know if the game emulates flawlessly on the 3DS? 

The BNW mod is a heavily modified version for the FF6 SNES Rom. So you need an SNES emulator and FF6 (originally called FF3 when it was brought to the USA) Rom of some sort for BNW to work.

Edited by GLH

On 10/7/2019 at 5:05 PM, Nomjitsu said:

Does anyone know if the game emulates flawlessly on the 3DS? 

It depends, but in my experience the game ran mostly fine on a NEW 3DS using the default emulator, sound emulation was a bit off from what I remember but the game itself seemed to play fine. (And I think there's some slowdown with certain spell effects like Mantra.)
So no not flawless, but definitely playable.