BTB

Coming Soon: Brave New World 2.0

214 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, rwbonesy said:

Does this work on Canoe on an SNES Classic out of the box or would I need to run it in a RetroArch core?

Yes it works on canoe out of the box. You may want to disable controller shortcuts as it may cause some graphical glitches at the sealed gate. Other than that it works fine.

This is a message to all the Gau friends out there.  If you're listening, Gau and I need a little counciling.

See, it all started when I thought to myself "you know, I never use Gau.  I know he's been all shined and polished up since vanilla and I've seen some forum posters swear he is OP if only you learn to use him... So you know what?  I'll give him a chance!"

And I gave him a chance.  I gave him a chance all the way through the Magitek Factory with his best bud Sabin and he got KOed a lot but everything was going just fine.  Until the mine cart ride.  Which I just died on five times in a row, playing what I thought were more and more conservative strategies: Locke on heal (shiv) and Life/Fire2, Sabin on Fire Dance and Black Belt/counters, and Gau trying his best with Conjurer for Rerise but he keeps throwing Frazzle instead.  Wipe after wipe.  And no chance to go back and pick someone I know how to use.

So, any advice, thou Gau whisperer?  Can someone show me how I'm mishandling the wild child (or the party comp) and help me save this file?  I, as an FFVI veteran, of course don't have a backup save.

(Edit: this is 2.0 RC27-P, if it matters.)

Edited by snahgle
Clarification

Have you try any offensive rage instead of defensive ? IIRC the Rain Man Rage you can get on the World Map before Vector works wonder in Magitek Factory and Mine Caret.

1 advise with Gau would be to always carry Green Cherries which allows you to cancel a Rage to do another one if you need to change strategy midway, Gau can pretty much adapt to any situation, you really need to learn which Rage does what (consult the Printme for that). One problem with Gau is if you really want to get the maximum out of him you need to invest a lot of time in learning Rage (thankfully WAAAAAAY less time than in Vanilla thanks to the number of Rages being reduce and the possibility to Leap outside of Veldt).

Hey, thanks Nesouk!  Fortunately I had Rain Man, and that was great advice: Bolt2 let Gau one-shot a MagRoader (sometimes before it one-shotted Gau with Wheelie) and clear the arms on Number 128 pretty quickly, which made the whole thing more manageable.  In hindsight I was also making the mistake of having everyone kitted out in rogue gear, so no one could take a significant number of hits and stay standing.  Once I put tankier gear on Locke and gave him a Knight Cape, I could keep Gau alive most of the time and use Sabin for targeted damage or support as necessary. 

This is a good example of what I like so much about this revision of FFVI: there are actual build options that let you really take advantage of the combinatorial possibilities of the huge character roster.  

BTW, listing what the actions are in the Rage menu is a huge quality-of-life improvement, thanks whoever made that happen.  

f0d038f0578b75e5a3805e9edad92a32.png?siz

BTBLast Sunday at 5:13 PM

Ok, since this is being asked at least once per day now, the current state of the 2.0 beta (see pinned posts below this one) is essentially finished as far as the end-user is concerned. It is still in beta because this current version and many before it were produced by Bropedio, an outside coder with no access to the Brave New World source, and the final version will need all of his work formally integrated with our own. This is a long process that has taken longer than expected. We have no expected timeframe for completion, but the current beta is stable and can safely be considered "final" for the casual player.

At the moment, nothing. How much HAS he added since he started? WAY too much to list.

Edited by BTB

The explanations are still a bit confusing. What content is Bropedia working on? What will change between the currently available 2.0 beta and the final release version?

Is it just the purple stuff?

--> The basement level of the Ancient Castle is no longer hidden  (I don't really know what this means)

• Restored Crusader's full vanilla sprite 

These things don't seem to be important enough to hold up a release, maybe put em in as 2.1 later?

Edited by Reiker

That's not it. The issue is that the current beta is a patch on TOP of BNW code rather than integrated in. There are somewhere in the neighborhood of 170 direct conflicts with Bro's code and the source.

I'll guess I'll ask it like this. What are all of the differences between the current version and the release version? I think I asked this before and the answer was "virtually nothing." And if that's the case I guess I don't understand the difference between the current beta and the full release if there won't be any noticeable change on the player's end. You could call the fully integrated version 2.1 or something. Shrug.

Also if the Woolsey patch is still happening, I'm assuming that won't be until full release or is that available now too?

Also maybe consider releasing the stable beta version as 2.0b or something like that? Not a big deal either way, but if it's stable and playable then I don't really see a good reason not to release it outside of the discord.