BTB

Coming Soon: Brave New World 2.0

179 posts in this topic

I noticed that the updated ReadMe no longer lists the following bug as a "known issue", but also does not mention it as being fixed in the version history:

Physical Rage attacks that set sleep (Raven and Eye Goo) will reportedly always miss on enemies
with large sprites; this one is particularly difficult to nail down due to its transient nature
and tendency to randomly fix itself in the process of troubleshooting it

I only ask because I recently stumbled onto the cause of the bug, and wanted to share it (in case it hasn't already been fixed). I believe it happens in the subroutine that adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag to any monster special effect with the "death" status. I don't have the address for BNW handy, but in vanilla, the address where BNW jumps to the new subroutine is C2/334B. In the BNW (1.9) subroutine, the status byte is checked for #80, and if set, it adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag. The problem is, the status byte stored in the accumulator could be any of the 4 status bytes (indexed by X). That means any attack with Death, Sleep, Reflect, or Float will miss targets immune to instant death.

Edited by Bropedio

7 hours ago, Bropedio said:

I noticed that the updated ReadMe no longer lists the following bug as a "known issue", but also does not mention it as being fixed in the version history:

I only ask because I recently stumbled onto the cause of the bug, and wanted to share it (in case it hasn't already been fixed). I believe it happens in the subroutine that adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag to any monster special effect with the "death" status. I don't have the address for BNW handy, but in vanilla, the address where BNW jumps to the new subroutine is C2/334B. In the BNW (1.9) subroutine, the status byte is checked for #80, and if set, it adds the "miss when protected from instant death" flag. The problem is, the status byte stored in the accumulator could be any of the 4 status bytes (indexed by X). That means any attack with Death, Sleep, Reflect, or Float will miss targets immune to instant death.

Well, if that's the case, it should be pretty easily checkable since instant death and sleep are different immunity packages. I can't say for sure thinking back to 1.9 if that's the entire issue or if it seems like there's something else... definitely something to add to the testing notes, though!