BTB

Coming Soon: Brave New World 2.0

214 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, F-Bomb said:

Is there any chance of reintroducing the hand equips during battle. I know they dissappeared with the optimize euip option, i was just wondering if a solution had been found for this? It is literally the only complaint I have about this hack.

There is a chance -- a CHANCE -- that I can get this working in a way that'll work for BNW. It's a question not only of whether I can get it to work at all, and then whether or not I can make it play nice with some of the existing patches. At least one of them already messes with a subroutine I'll be relying on. 

So. I make no promises, but there is an attempt being made.

On 31/07/2018 at 9:35 AM, BTB said:

Good question! I switched the Mutsunokami and Aero procs to being stamina based, and I didn't want both those and Eclipse keying off the same stat since they're his only two forms of AoE damage and one would basically overtake the other. And of the two, Eclipse is the one with a status debuff (blind).

Well I actually think now that I speak of Shadow in the other topic, but OK Mutsonokami's Aero being Stamina base is fine for Cyan but for Shadow wouldn't that make a pure Phantom's set up combine with the Kagenui a little to strong (not to mention C/C set up) ?

Evasion is halved for c/c so Shadow isn’t a good candidate for it really. It also won’t work with image (cover anyway). Kage + Mutsu will probably be strong and that’s a good thing imo. He needs a reason to be put on the front.

23 minutes ago, Mishrak said:

Evasion is halved for c/c so Shadow isn’t a good candidate for it really. It also won’t work with image (cover anyway). Kage + Mutsu will probably be strong and that’s a good thing imo. He needs a reason to be put on the front.

Everyone keep saying this but in my playthrough I was using him as C/C user and as a result once I get the Orochi he was the best physical damage dealer of my playthrough and was still evading a lot despite the malus ^^

Edited by Nesouk

Which is why he evade instead of tanking plus with Safe and the +25% HP Bonus from Hero Ring he will not die in one hit from most physical attack which let you time for healing him (if he doesn't end the fight by countering ^^), for a C/C set up with Orochi at best he can get 94 Evasion (before that you can the Countering Katana and up his Evasion to 104) which if we count the halved penality that be 47 still enough to make him dodge quite often, combine that with his natural speed so he acts quite a lot you get the Damage of his turns + the damage of his Counter (or you could let him deal damage through counter alone and use his actual turn to heal with item or support with Haste and Rerise) at the end of the day it deals quite a lot, I really see nothing wrong with using Shadow as a C/C.

Makes sense. Safe + 25% (which puts him around 1200 at 30) is sufficient to take a physical most of the time. And 47 is fairly mediocre evasion but also sufficient to dodge still. It’s cool that it still works tbh.  I don’t really see it as being too powerful when the player can combine the right stuff to be effective. 

1 minute ago, Mishrak said:

Makes sense. Safe + 25% (which puts him around 1200 at 30) is sufficient to take a physical most of the time. And 47 is fairly mediocre evasion but also sufficient to dodge still. It’s cool that it still works tbh.  I don’t really see it as being too powerful when the player can combine the right stuff to be effective. 

I didn't say it was to powerfull cause not everybody will take the risk of using Shadow that way and it definitly require some thought into it, my original argument was toward the Mutsonokami's Aero becoming Stamina base combine with him, fear this might be to powerfull as Shadow as a Vig+Stam option in his EL (so he can get quite high stam), Kagenui that can be equip with Mutsonokami to attack (so potential for 2 Aeros), the C/C set up being a thing (so potential for 2 Aeros through counter) and if the proc fails he still has a high vig to deal high damage (not to mention if you put a Power Glove or a Rogue Cloak in the mix).

Aero proc does have the dual wield penalty on it (but not x-fight), but yeah it will be a very good damage source.  An effective proc rate of 75% also is a huge boon. 

Doesn't Interceptor show up more often if his evade is low? And IIRC it also scales with stamina...hmm...

Oh, I've been actually lurking on here (and back on the ID forums) for some years now watching the development of BNW, but I never actually started a playthrough since I'd always want to wait for the next update...this mod has come so far it's incredible. I'm actually pumped up for 1.10 and that huge changelog, this time I'll definitely start playing, since I don't think I can wait anymore until 2.0 :ninja:

If I remember correctly I don't think Interceptor can show up if he is covering an ally, only if Shadow is the direct target.

What’s crazy is how much is gonna be in 1.10 that’s not in that changelog (yet). Namely all the stuff that’s about to happen to enemies. Wew.

This is already looking like the biggest release ever.

On 8/1/2018 at 5:27 AM, BTB said:

I'll let @seibaby explain it

Short answer: it should raise the minimum amount of steps between random encounters while at the same time reducing the maximum number of steps. On paper, it should maintain the current average encounter rate, but in testing we noticed a decreased overall encounter rate.

Long answer: the encounter system works on a threat counter; each step increases the probability that a random encounter will happen on that step. Different areas in the game add different amounts to this threat counter, and each step a random number is generated and compared to the counter. If the counter is greater than the random number, an encounter happens. The patch increases the lower bound and decreases the upper bound of the random number.

Note that there was a bug in Think's RNG patch that may have affected the random encounter rate on the overworld. I bundled a fix for this in my patch, but no testing has been done to see the effects on the overworld encounter rate yet.

18 minutes ago, seibaby said:

Note that there was a bug in Think's RNG patch that may have affected the random encounter rate on the overworld. I bundled a fix for this in my patch, but no testing has been done to see the effects on the overworld encounter rate yet.

Was this fix in version 2 of the patch? Or is it something you've done for version 1.10?

It’s been an optional patch as of 1.9.  It’ll very likely be an official part of 1.10 if testing works out.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:39 PM, BTB said:

Rerise is now shown in the targeting menu with Safe and Shell

PogChamp

--> Aurabolt ---- is now stronger and learned much earlier, but no longer ignores defense OR row

I don't understand the Row penalty here. Why do you need to be close to the enemy to shoot a giant beam of light at it?

--> Eclipse ------- is learned much sooner and reverts to being magic-based (instead of stamina-based)

Ew, I don't understand this either. Will Eclipse even be worth using now? Maybe just as a multi-enemy clearer for a very small section of the game.

Stamina Cyan keeps getting more and more awkward (I still have some complaints with the Cover/Counter system).

--> Blackjack - is stronger (power: 36 -> 45) and no longer sets Sap
    --> Trifecta ---- is stronger (power: 75 -> 90) and may set Sap (instead of Stop)
    --> Solitaire --- is weaker (power: 90 -> 75)

Basically a big buff to the character that I already consider the most powerful/useful in the game. Hmm.

--> Suplex --------- now sets Stop instead of Slow (as Sabin can now learn the Slow spell)

• The Kusarigama has been reworked into a Zozo-era ninja weapon (sold at Jidoor) that does 2x damage to
   humans
(i.e. Dadaluma) and can set Stop/Slow (as the Kagenui)

Good-bye Sabin, hello Cyan.

Everything else seems great, although I'm slightly concerned about lowing boss HP. Will have to see how it feels during a playthrough.

For the future, I think one of the next things I'd like to see is a Colosseum update. It's mostly skippable and kind of a downgrade from the vanilla game's Colosseum. It'd be nice to be able to get some more rare items without having to give up another rare item in exchange. For example, I'd like to have more than 1 Dragon Helm available. All that really does is get rid of the tedium of having to swap equipment every time you switch between groups. With the Skull Cap change(s) it seems like you're kinda going backwards from this though and making equipment even more restrictive which I'm not a big fan of.

@Reiker

So, Aurabolt respecting row is kind of a culmination of several factors. Sabin was designed to be a high-strength character regardless of build, but the fact that his main attack option for his stamina build ignored row effectively invalidated all of his physical options and Stam-WOW Sabin's offense game devolved into "spam Aurabolt". I've also spoken with several players and concluded that people who do backrow him are typically running him as a Mantra/Chakra bot and aren't even bothering with the Nirvana Band, so that build isn't necessarily losing much (although it does eventually get Sonic Boom as a long-range attack option). It's finally worth noting that Stam-WOW Sabin's Aurabolt damage is equal to or better than Slap-Chop Sabin's Suplex in the early game, so there's no need to sell the build as a defensive one until he picks up Mantra.

As for Eclipse, I think I already covered this one earlier, but it's because I switched the Mutsunokami/Kazekiri wind damage to stamina-based (keeping things thematic with having done the same to Sonic Boom), and I specifically did not want both those procs and Eclipse keying off of the same stat since they're Cyan's only "true" AoE options and they'd just end up stepping on each others' toes. The main effect of setting Eclipse back to "magic" damage is that it scales the same for either Cyan build, and I intend to push the blind effect as its primary benefit.

Blackjack is the only real "buff" to Slots, and it ultimately does depend at how reliably you can hit them. And it's still just MT damage - GP Toss is still the superior ST damage option by a significant margin.

The lowering of boss HP hasn't actually happened yet; I'm currently in the process of overhauling a LOT about enemies. If you want a more detailed response, I'd direct you to an article I recently posted on the site, specifically the section about "damage sponge" bosses.

The Colosseum is a tricky beast. Because of how it works, there's a thin - and often jagged - line between trades that make things more interesting and those that don't. I look at end-game equipment availability and make sure that the player will have everything they need no matter what, and then try to make as many interesting choices as possible within the constraints of the Colosseum setup. The Skull Cap is kind of an outlier here since it's a powerful piece of headgear that I only wanted there to be one of (and that one is in Kefka's Tower) - everything else should be a little bit more freely-available than before.

BNW_1.10_Colosseum_Trades.png

Edited by BTB

All right, I've gone ahead and updated the changelog with a few more notes, mainly the bits on enemy AI and repurposing the Auction House as a secondary Beginner's School along with a few new hacks that D and GrayShadows have come up with.

(Note: all tentative changes are in purple)

OH man swapping weapon is gonna be so good for Rod and Elemental Swords's user, maybe not for Sabin tough as I suppose that just like for Yang in FFIV 3D remake changing both of his claws will take 2 turns correct ?

The most striking thing that caught my eye was the weapon/shield swap. That. Is. A. Godsend. Thank you my lord and savior, BTB. :megusta:

Edit: Hope this thing works.

Edit again: @GrayShadows is my lord and savior, screw @BTB:kappa:

Edited by Cross

First post here, new user and a fan of Brave New World

I have to say thank you to BNW devs -and all those who helped them- for spending many years to create such an amazing hack, it has made one of the SNES classics much more better gameplay-wise and generally gave it -of what I think of as- one of the best combat systems I ever played, it's astounding how can a hack radically change a game for the great.

While I'm very content on BNW overall, I still have some little issues with it (mainly going back and forth to printme.xls so that I see spells/summons info, power and how would they work. Also I found some very harsh difficulty spikes, mostly ones in the very early hours like Poison casting rats when you only control Terra), As I typically checked progress, changes and improvements on BTW every now and then, I managed to notice that this version in particular has included some pretty strong hacks (Equipment stats on shops and weapon/shield changing during battle). So it got me thinking:

Would it be possible to include a bit more detailed descriptions of spells/summons ingame? Like their base power, additional effect and for the summons a whole description as the game don't show you what the summon actually does when used during battle (if it does show then I'm sorry for mentioning a dumb suggestion). Even if it's hard to include that now, I really hope to see it in BNW 1.11 or later versions.

Also can the difficulty curve be altered (mainly early WoB)? Because for normal encounters, the game generally eases when you get the espers (which is fine by me, because what I really like about BNW is that both you -the party- and the enemies are strong enough to defeat each other) and the hardest I experienced was the part where you control Terra the first time after she gets free from the mind control and that the rats can possibly cast Poison (deals a pretty hefty damage and it usually OHKO Terra if I'm not on full health) so in that part my life depends on whether the RNG spares me or not.

Edited by Wavefunction