Sign in to follow this  
GeradFigaro

Review of v1.9

55 posts in this topic

There's definitely redundant enemies in BNW. Some of the randoms on the WoR overworld especially come to mind. Also, having a new set of enemies in Figaro / Narshe Cave, when the old set are getting a script "upgrade" past level 7 anyways, is a form of redundancy. There's probably some other random places where there are enemies that can easily be cannibalized to make interesting Colosseum foes.

What if we went the other way for a solution? Instead of simplifying a Coliseum or building a new one, ...how about a marketplace instead?  Think Secret of Evermore; up front pricing, shopkeeps extolling the virtues of wares, the option to require more than a 1:1 trade (an option for GP sink, or swapping around consumables like 1 megalixer for 10 elixir).  Or token exchange replacing boss drops (Blue Dragon drops B.Scale, can trade in for 1 of 3 gear. All of which can be circular-traded in market at some small cost).

5 hours ago, Fuzzfang said:

Think Secret of Evermore; up front pricing, shopkeeps extolling the virtues of wares, the option to require more than a 1:1 trade

Neat idea. I always loved those parts of Secret of Evermore, even if they did ultimately reduce down to a path optimization exercise in the end.

1) Even if it costs the player time and frustration to have to reset until they get what they want, that doesn’t mean it’s an interesting mechanic. Quite the opposite. 

2) There are plans for the colosseum already thought up, but it will require rom expansion to do it and BTB isn’t ready to expand just yet. I’ll leave it up to him if he wants to share it or not. 

(Sorry to rez dead topic :'D)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought Hidon was a bastard. Atma Weapon I don't remember having unreasonable amounts of trouble with. It took me a couple tries to get the strategy down, (but that's fair, he's the Disc One Final Boss) but my actual problem with him was just that sometimes the game decided to be an asshole when he used Meteo.