Sign in to follow this  
Lockirby2

A Final Fantasy VII New Threat LP

24 posts in this topic

Finally, after several years of school and other stuff, I'm starting to make videos for YouTube again.  I explain a bit of the context behind the LP in the first few minutes, so I won't write it all down here.

Spoiler

I think I said most of what I wanted to say in the video, so I'll keep the description fairly brief. I should have used Defend instead of Row during the Guard Scorpion fight so that he'd put me in the back (where I want to be) every other time he used Magnetic Scope. There's enough margin for error that I was in pretty good shape regardless. Hopefully the sound is loud enough. I can't be too loud if I record during the week.

Yo, Lockirby; long time no see.

When you unlock Materia menu in Sector 7, check that your Materia equip effects are as follows:

Magic Materia: Vitality/Spirit -5, MP +3%

If it's anything else apart from that (for instance, if there are any HP penalties on it) then the .exe isn't patched. The installer has been hit & miss about getting that file patched likely due to security reasons. It doesn't matter so much now, but when you hit the rank-up system it'll start to matter due to sources being altered to give +5 per use.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 2 - Visit the Beginner's School in Sector 7

Spoiler

I would put the title in all caps for the sake of the joke, but that would just seem like clickbait, now wouldn't it?

This episode is mostly just shopping and the Beginner's House.  Feel free to skip if you're not interested.  Oh yeah, and I kick Guard Scorpion's butt again, apparently.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 3 - Air Busters

Spoiler

In this video, I complete the Sector 5 Reactor raid and defeat two Air Buster enemies for the price of one.  I never particularly figured out why their attacks hit for 2x damage sometimes.  Something to do with weird Pincer Attack mechanics, I guess? IDK, I was throwing around a ton of wild theories throughout the video.  Regardless, figuring that out is less important than using the menu to manipulate the turn order so that they never attack together.  Then I just need to heal Cloud/Tifa when they go below ~220 HP.

My first attempt at Air Buster was more of a scouting run than a serious attempt.  I tend to do that a lot with bosses unless they're far from a Save Point.  Knowing the fight you are going into opens up a lot more possibilities.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 4 - I Accidentally Fight a Boss Without Saving

Spoiler

In this video, I complete Wall Market and jump down into the sewers.  This is a case where my commentary style doesn't work particularly well; I'm sure some people would have a lot of funny things to say in Wall Market, but I am not one of them.  To that end, I set up some skip icons in the video to allow you to skip some of the parts that you might find boring (you'll have to do it manually since YouTube doesn't allow us to use annotations anymore).  The video is your burrito!

Those Houses are really powerful at this point.  I guess it's a metaphor for vandalism being a poor decision.

Scotch and his lackeys are weak and easy, so I can use my newly acquired Morph Materia to get some great loot from them.

Aps' new gimmick is that Tifa doesn't join the fight.  This is more of a blessing than a curse.  The idea of keeping a frail front row fighter alive through MT physical attacks every single turn doesn't sound super appealing.  Though I suppose that I could always have done a 180 and avoided using magical attacks, as he only uses the tsunami when attacked magically (or at least that's how it worked in vanilla).  However, with Cloud and Aeris I decided to take the devil I knew over the devil I didn't.  If Aeris defends before every tsunami that hits her from behind, she'll be healed by the Geo-Stance, so you don't even really need to spend any resources healing her if you do everything right.

Actually for Aps the thing is you choose which girl is fighting with you if you talk to Aerith first Aerith will be with you but not Tifa if you talk to Tifa first it's the opposite, Aerith is the safest option while Tifa will probably make the fight shorter as she hurts like a truck (especially if you unlock some of her Limits and you're good with Slots).

@Nesouk I'm really glad that I happened to talk to Aeris first then.  I'd much prefer the extra safety, and I don't expect that Tifa would be really outpacing her damage much considering Aeris' super-effective spells, especially since I only had Tifa's first level Limit break in that episode.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 5 - Reno is Wrecked Rudely

Spoiler

This episode is mostly combat. The sewers and train graveyard are pretty laid-back, as the monsters there don't really hit me that hard. I take the time to Morph/Steal some goodies while I can. The Graviballs aren't fantastic Morph prizes (unless they work on a boss I fight before I get a Gravity Materia), but the Ethers I got are pretty nice.

Those propeller guys are pretty brutal in comparison. I suppose it's warranted since the area they appear in is short. Tifa fared surprisingly well despite being in the front, which I don't entirely understand. Either Defense is more important than I gave it credit for on my last playthrough or the row mechanics have changed. I didn't see a mention of the latter in the documentation.

Reno went down like a wet noodle because I had a Cross-Slash saved up and I chucked my Deadly Wastes that I got from the Air Busters. Arguably, I should have saved one for Rufus, but it would be proportionately less useful, and I may find a real Bio Materia (or more Deadly Waste) by then for all I know. If Reno was given a gimmick, I have no clue what it is.

Edited by Lockirby2

Let's Play FFVII NT - 6 - The Mooks were Harder than the Boss

Spoiler

I arrive at the Shinra building and make it past a few floors. There were a couple sticky situations, but things worked out in the end.

Let's Play FFVII New Threat - 7 - I Survive 4-digit damage

Spoiler

This took a while to make because my headset died before I was able to make this video, and I needed to get a new one before I could record.

This episode covers the majority of the Shinra tower. I fight Sample whatever-it-is in this episode, and he is fairly easy. It's definitely less straightforward now that I need to kill his cronies, but he can't do damage fast enough to be threatening as long as I don't let everybody fall to low HP at the same time.

Let's Play FFVII New Threat - 8 - Boss Gauntlet

Spoiler

In this episode, I fight several bosses in a row. Thousand Gunner, Airhawk Gunner, and Thunder Gunner were quite the difficulty spike, as the bosses before and after them are a great deal less powerful. That said, the fight was quite fun. I didn't realize that Thunder Gunner was as frail as he was until it was too late to exploit. Using Limit Breaks to bring him down fast is certainly worthwhile, especially since Pily can heal more by doing more damage. Matra Magic would have probably been a solid pick if I had remembered that it existed. My final mistake is that I should have ditched the Restore Rod for the Full Metal Staff and just healed with Cure instead; I think I would have had better healing and better defenses for no real cost. This is probably the best use I'll ever find for these Bolt Plumes, as this is a fight where I want to get damage off quickly and I have a foe weak to Bolt.

Against Rufus, it took me longer than it probably should have to figure out (remember?) that Light Nation is invincible. Despite this, Rufus was no real threat since his damage output is so low.

Barbariccia GT was fairly straightforward once I remembered that I need to switch rows to deal with the forced Back Attack. As far as I can tell, there isn't really a gimmick here.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 9 - Super Boredom World 1

Spoiler

Dang, I know how to attract them viewers with these catchy titles. But seriously, this episode is all flashback. If you're not curious about NT Sephiroth and you aren't excited to see me fight two dudes and a wolf, feel free to skip this.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 10 - Mishi Uses Steroids

Spoiler

Encounters around this part of the game are straightforward, but fun. I make it all the way through the Mythril Mines in this video.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 11 - Jormungander Loses by Doing Absolutely Nothing

Spoiler

This time around, I cheat my way to victory in the Fort Condor minigame. It's so slow and time-consuming that I really didn't want to do it again. For some reason, Bottomswell's replacement didn't do a whole lot. I'm still not really sure what's up with that.

No, I will not bother fixing the spelling in the title, even though it would take less time than typing this sentence.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 12 - Free Stuff Everywhere

Spoiler

Like the previous boss, Jenova - Vector is fairly straightforward when you have Haste and she has Slow. You end up with so many turns in a row that you can't really lose.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 13 - Getting Over It

Spoiler

This is a pretty chill episode here. We climb over a mountain, Morph some new items, and reach a poor town that can only barely afford the millions of Gil necessary to buy all of your mastered All Materia.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 14 - Fool's Gold

Spoiler

This episode is entirely about my trip to the Gold Saucer. However, I also visit the save point and choose how to build my characters in this episode. If you want to see that part in particular, skip to 8:30.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 15 - Silent but Deadly

Spoiler

95% of the time, I do a test recording before I record the actual video to make sure that the audio is working. Somehow, every time I don't, the audio decides not to work. This was one of those times. :( Dyne was interesting. Because I poisoned him, he used Psyche Up to remove it. However, I believe that Psyche Up applied the Resist status to him, preventing him from using Haste later on. Because of this anti-combo, he ended up costing himself a ton of turns.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 16 - Hiss, Hiss...

Spoiler

In this video, we have another completely custom boss, and it's a fun one.  He's still fairly slow thanks to the Slow/Haste combo, but the fact that he puts countdown on you still makes the fight tricky.  With no steps taken to deal with it, the countdown can easily kill several people at the same time, which is basically a death sentence in this game.  I didn't remember the countdown, so I didn't have my Safety Bit equipped either.  I assumed he was weak to fire thanks to the "undead" gimmick, but he wasn't, which made for a fairly poor use of a Fire Veil.  I should have chucked my Bolt Plumes instead.

I also curbstomp Reno and Rude again, but they didn't really do much, as per the usual.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 17 - Fire! Fire! Heh Heh Heh...

Spoiler

I don't do any more battling after entering Cosmo Canyon, so skip the rest if that's not what you're into.

Let's Play FF7 NT - 18 - This is why I Wanted a Bird Wing

Spoiler

This episode is all dungeon. The dungeon enemies are pretty easy because they don't really hit that hard and can't do much else to scare me either. The boss needs to be taken down quickly since he can be healed for massive amounts by the gravity attacks that he absorbs, but this is fairly easily done, especially if you wait until the "flames" possess you before launching everything you have at him.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 19 - Spooky Scary Ghosts

Spoiler

Let's head off to the Nibelheim mansion, which I somehow forgot comes before Mt. Nibel.  I'll put the footage of Lambda Calcule in the next video because I think it will fit better there.  I seem to remember this dungeon being harder.  I think it had nastier status effects like Confuse before?  If enemies here still have Confuse, I haven't seen it.  I somehow make a complete trainwreck of a battle against Mirrors, so look forward to that.

Let's Play FFVII NT - 20 - Death by Math

Spoiler

This episode centres entirely around one boss fight: Lambda Calcule. I could probably have done better than I did at forming a good strategy, but all's well that ends well. I didn't abuse the second Vaccine in my inventory because I may be able to pull off some Vaccine abuse against a later boss that would be even more helpful. In hindsight, I also probably could have slowed the physical Calcule with a Molotov before dropping the Vaccine on him, leaving him with permanent Slow. That would have helped a lot. I'm also not sure what effect draining their MP has. I really should have tried that. If draining the Magic guy's MP allowed me to avoid seeing Ruin3, it would have been all I needed to win on that second run. It wouldn't even have taken long to pull off with Iris' staff.

Edited by Lockirby2

Let's Play FFVII NT - 21 - Crossing Those Mountains

Spoiler

I actually felt pretty well prepared for this dungeon. Last time those Green Dragons took forever to kill. That said, I think their HP has also dropped, which is probably a good thing.

The boss fight, as usual, was something that I started to figure out properly right as the fight ended and I never got to put anything into practice, so the actual result from my side is actually pretty mediocre.