Doomsday31415

Version 9 Content Mode Available in Downloads!

23 posts in this topic

After a month of testing, bugfixing, and feedback, we've decided to split version 9 into three difficulties: content, normal, and hard.  Normal should also be available soon, and hard will come later.

For now, however, you can download Content Mode in here:

Enjoy!

What exactly are the differences between the versions? I briefly tested content mode, and I saw that numbers were significantly reduced to be more in-line with vanilla. But will all three modes have the same amount of bosses and late-game content?

I'm asking mainly because I've been playing on the previous public release of v9, and I noticed that I'm not running into any superbosses during the main game like I did in previous versions. Are those bosses unlocked after beating Smithy? I just remember beating the ice cave way earlier than I was supposed to in a previous version, and I loved doing that. It feels so good to beat a boss earlier than you're supposed to, but I cant even get into ice cave in v9. Is there a reason for specifically locking content like this to be strictly post-game?

1 hour ago, longers2 said:

What exactly are the differences between the versions? I briefly tested content mode, and I saw that numbers were significantly reduced to be more in-line with vanilla. But will all three modes have the same amount of bosses and late-game content?

I'm asking mainly because I've been playing on the previous public release of v9, and I noticed that I'm not running into any superbosses during the main game like I did in previous versions. Are those bosses unlocked after beating Smithy? I just remember beating the ice cave way earlier than I was supposed to in a previous version, and I loved doing that. It feels so good to beat a boss earlier than you're supposed to, but I cant even get into ice cave in v9. Is there a reason for specifically locking content like this to be strictly post-game?

In general, enemies in content mode deal significantly less damage and take slightly more damage.  There's a couple of late-game balance tweaks as well.  All the content, however, is the same.  DK is planning to come up with a list of all the major differences at a later date.

Regarding the superbosses, most of them are locked behind Smithy.  The reasoning is threefold:

• This is Super Mario RPG, not Super Fantasy Pokemon RPG.  The non-Mario bosses are almost all hidden until after Smithy has been defeated.
  • In previous versions, you could trivialize Smithy simply by farming the right equipment from the available superbosses.  We want Smithy to be an important fight, so he's now the gateway to the superbosses (and is balanced accordingly).
  • There have been complaints in the past about running into these superbosses and just dying.  With them locked behind Smithy, this can't happen anymore.

You can still fight a bunch of superbosses before Smithy if you want to (including General Guy), and you can fight them in whatever order you want after Smithy (although there's a recommended order).  You also don't have to be anywhere near max level to beat Smithy.

Hope that helps explain things! :coolguy:

Thanks for all the insight, it really helps understand why these decisions were made!

Is there a list of what spells each character can learn at different levels? I want to make geno a magic user, but he still only knows Geno Beam and Geno Boost in his mid 50s.

2 hours ago, longers2 said:

Thanks for all the insight, it really helps understand why these decisions were made!

Is there a list of what spells each character can learn at different levels? I want to make geno a magic user, but he still only knows Geno Beam and Geno Boost in his mid 50s.

Not right now, although someone will probably come along and make a guide for v9 at some point...

A lot of spells are only learned by beating certain bosses though.

Edited by Doomsday31415

3 hours ago, Doomsday31415 said:

Not right now, although someone will probably come along and make a guide for v9 at some point...

#BestFeatureEver

12 hours ago, Doomsday31415 said:

9 hours ago, Nitro said:

#BestFeatureEver

I agree. I also like the idea of having to beat Smithy in order to unlock what makes this mod unique and awesome.

4 hours ago, MuteCitizenMaster said:

So, does this "Content Mode" have all of the bugs and errors mentioned fixed?

Yes

You'll need to learn about defending for this game. Most bosses have a pretty obvious tell when you're gonna have to use defend with your whole team

58 minutes ago, longers2 said:

You'll need to learn about defending for this game. Most bosses have a pretty obvious tell when you're gonna have to use defend with your whole team

I tried defending this but failed. Any hints on the timing? I want to get past this boss and continue with the game. I have it save stated right before the arrow rain so I can keep attempting it

5 minutes ago, GamingFiend said:

I tried defending this but failed. Any hints on the timing? I want to get past this boss and continue with the game. I have it save stated right before the arrow rain so I can keep attempting it

You can't block multi target attacks.

19 minutes ago, Doomsday31415 said:

You can't block multi target attacks.

In that case, there really is no way to get past this besides overleveling to break the HP cap you need ( Or boosting magic defense up enough?). If that's the case this should be addressed in the next patch. I may need to use a cheat code to get past this

8 minutes ago, GamingFiend said:

In that case, there really is no way to get past this besides overleveling to break the HP cap you need ( Or boosting magic defense up enough?). If that's the case this should be addressed in the next patch. I may need to use a cheat code to get past this

There is no glitch here, nor anything in need of patching.  I'd like to point out that the attack deals twice as much damage in Normal.

You should reconsider your options.

Got it! An in game hint is probably not a bad idea there cause it comes out of no where with no warning

Content mode so far, truly amazing the years of work are showing in spades.  I love the renewed emphasis on elemental attacks and the appearances of the Axem Rangers in early parts of the game. The renewed focus on elemental weaknesses is also great to see. I also love the creative use of the unique items within the game now. I made it to Yardovich now and the dude is kicking my ass.

Mario: I kind of wish I had invested in his Magic at level up rather than attack. He has very affordable magic attack and a variety of elemental attacks to choose from.

Mallow: I have to admit losing early game thunderbolt made things a lot tougher early on, ESPECIALLY the Kero Sewers. I'm not sure if it made for a more enjoyable experience tbqh.  Shocker is nice though for consistent boss damage and killing tough random enemies. His renewed focus as a mage is good to see.

Geno: His timings are difficult, and his Geno Beam is very weak for the cost, with his standard attack outdamaging it consistently. Finally got Genoboost which helps a lot, but I'm not digging him much this time

Bowser: Fantastic tank, high damage, very simple character. His Fire Breath is low damage but has a Burn effect that works on bosses.

Peach: Her starting War Fan is her main damage which is very low, and she only has Group Hug and Wishing Star now at level 55? Without an endless supply of Froggiedrinks though, she is really important for bosses with the Group Hug deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few constructive criticisms so far from an admittedly novice player to this hack

My minor complaints are Timings. Especially Geno, I can't seem to get him to do good damage cause I mess up the timings and don't know what to aim for. A quickie guide to the timing even with just text would be very helpful and appreciated.

Sooner access to vital spells, especially for Peach Bowser and Geno would be nice. Their spell list is very poor for a long time. The only AoE you have access to is Snowy which leaves you a bit locked in a corner against water/ice elemental enemies.

With enemies being much tougher now, more emphasis on status spells that were largely ignored in the original game would be GREAT, like Peach's sleep spell and Bowser's Terrorize.

Edited by GamingFiend

22 minutes ago, GamingFiend said:

91c39287bb377b257d27a78570d26da1.png

Where is Daisy? In Seaside Town? I can't find her

That sentence is badly formulated. By "She came all the way here" she means "She came all the way to this game", not exactly Seaside Town. Go visit her at Mushroom Kingdom.

22 minutes ago, MuteCitizenMaster said:

That sentence is badly formulated. By "She came all the way here" she means "She came all the way to this game", not exactly Seaside Town. Go visit her at Mushroom Kingdom.

Actually, she means "She came all the way to the Mushroom Kingdom".

This has been corrected in Normal mode, by the way.

2 hours ago, IcieJiraceon said:

I've managed to beat all the bosses in under a day. Even the boss rushes were pretty neat too. Great mod!

Nice job!  On content or normal?