praetarius5018

Final Fantasy 5: the brainstorming

121 posts in this topic

99% yes.
Equipment selection is kinda restricted by equip weight - which'll be based on STR.
You can wear as heavy as you want but higher weight gives significant penalties to speed.

Ah, gotcha.

I'm noticing that the berserker ability doesn't work. Your characters turn red but never actually attack. Bug I suppose.

Same as confuse - the characters are kinda moody. Sometimes they don't attack, other times they attack 20 times in a row.
Dunno what causes that bug, yet.

Added download link for new version to first post.

Is there a big difference between the 2 patches? I just downloaded your new one. Deciding on whether to start my game over with your new patch

Holy shit, just started new file with your new patch; is the below pic right?

Kinda looks badass

What's the 19 / 5 thing, and why is Faris number so low?

Screenshot_20180613-174557.png

Screenshot_20180613-174750.png

Hi praetarius,

I have to say I'm really enjoying this mod so far! I like the idea of having the separate limited builds for each character rather than the ability to just max them all out like in the original.

The added Field Effect mechanic from Chrono Cross is a welcome addition considering the elemental focus of the gear. I'm also pleasantly surprised that swapping weapons in combat is actually useful this time around.

When I read the class skills list I knew I had to rush the !politics ability and it does not disappoint xD it makes farming so much easier!

I think I've encountered a bug with turning off exp gain, it doesn't work, although maybe the feature was just disabled? I'll keep you posted if I encounter any other bugs.

Otherwise I just want to say this is the best Final Fantasy V mod I've played (not that there is a lot of competition unfortunately...) and that I hope you keep it up!

19 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Is there a big difference between the 2 patches? I just downloaded your new one. Deciding on whether to start my game over with your new patch

Yes, a huge one.

Spoiler

-added (semi hidden) New Game Plus
--character levels, job levels, items, magic and abilities carry over
--cap of total job levels increases from 30 to 70
--enemy stats increase

-added field effects in style of Chrono Cross
--at battle start set to 5 elements based on background
--field elements change based on element icon in the message box of a used spell or command
--for weapon based commands an element of equipped weapons is used or water for unarmed
--all spells that are not affected by any element are given a element solely for the field effect
--field elements increase damage, heal power and status effect chance of matching element, or lower of the element they oppose
--effect from field elements on damage of the ability !summon is greater than usual (up to x2.5 instead of x1.5 at max)

-heal spells now have elements for the purpose of field and relic boost
-distribution of being targetted changed by enemy from 25/25/25/25 to 32/28/22/18
-Stomp makes the user more likely to be targetted
-changed logic of locking single/normal job mod to prevent abuse
-in single job mode, max level of jobs is increased from 5 to 15
-lv6+ jobs don't teach new abilities but instead gain double stat increases
-changed exp gain logic: escaped monster grant 50% exp, multi-killed monster (e.g. revived) grant exp multiple times
-changed defend MP gain from 100 to 10%maxMP+90
-while defending/guarding you can now survive lethal attacks with 1 HP if you have at least 1/8 of your max HP left
-changed remaining boss rare drops to common (100% chance)
-changed monster formation minimum size for random formations from 3 to 25% of maximum
-added missing element icons to monster, mix, animal and terrain spells
-added logic for non-turn-free abilities to also have an element
-replaced icons for ice and void element
-Catch: no longer auto fails for monster with health > 25% (50% with item), chance increases with HP loss
-Release: monster stats increase in New Game Plus
-Terrain: spells count as earth for "50% magic boost" check (e.g. rods, gaia gear)
-Terrain: added a chance to cast location-independant spells "Gaia's Wrath" and "Gaia's Lament" instead; chance increases with Geomancer level
-Terrain/Gaia's Wrath: deals high non-elemental damage to all enemies
-Terrain/Gaia's Lament: inflicts random status ailments on all enemies
-added functionality to Mastery passive skill: great increase to overall accuracy, 70% chance to keep !Released monster
-added new unique katana: Odenta
-added elemental affinity to status screen: weaknesses and aggregated resistances
-swords, lances and katanas now use (STR+VIT)/2 instead of STR; axes are only pure STR weapon now
-modified M formula to lean more towards stats than levels with bonus for dual-stat attacks (85~93 dual [at lv1~99] is about as strong as 99 pure)
-added diminishing returns for 30+ AGL in regards to ATB speed
-Poison: changed tick interval from VIT+20 to (VIT+319)/4-agl/2 for player or (VIT+511)/8-agl/2 for monster
-poison: overworld tick damage decreased from 1/64 to 1/256
-poison: getting poison state inflicted by terrain now also deals 1/32 damage
-fixed bug that made rods apply their element twice
-fixed an incompatibility bug with real hardware and accurate emulators
-switched a few jobs around between characters
-increased theoretical maximum of jobs from 21+freelancer to 31+freelancer
-added experimental hack that speeds up spell animations for 5+ targets
-reduced cutscene delay from 15 to 12

Meaning most comments from the old version are useless to me as feedback...

3 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Damn this leveling system is hard... Does the abp get better? This is the new patch.

ABP is base exp gain / 64

18 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Holy shit, just started new file with your new patch; is the below pic right?

Kinda looks badass

What's the 19 / 5 thing, and why is Faris number so low?

Looks right, the 10 new jobs are currently just placeholders, no abilities, just stats, all but one have no palette yet even.
And because my graphical skills are non-existant they'll just stay palette swaps of existing jobs.

19/5 means you have 19 ABP and need a total of 5 for a job up, so jsut win a battle and you get it.
This is a result of why I said the new patch is not compatible with old save data.
I had to move some data around (job levels) and change the logic of how ABP is kept track of.
Specifically it is shared between jobs but gets cut in half when you switch a job.
I found it more important to add a few jobs and have room for other stuff than accurate per job ABP tracking.

40 minutes ago, Limstokes said:

When I read the class skills list I knew I had to rush the !politics ability and it does not disappoint xD it makes farming so much easier!

What are you farming that you need that ability?

41 minutes ago, Limstokes said:

I think I've encountered a bug with turning off exp gain, it doesn't work, although maybe the feature was just disabled? I'll keep you posted if I encounter any other bugs.

Oh yes, right... forgot that one when I changed the exp gain stuff >.<

Other feedback is welcome as well, btw.

43 minutes ago, Limstokes said:

Otherwise I just want to say this is the best Final Fantasy V mod I've played (not that there is a lot of competition unfortunately...) and that I hope you keep it up!

Dunno, despite Four Job Fiesta being a big thing, FF5 doesn't seem too popular.
And the one hackng site I know of that had something on it... is down for quite some weeks now.

Can you please explain the battle system? From elemental damage, resistance, the element display above enemies and why it scrolls, why bosses are insanely difficult and immune to almost everything, why damage output swings greatly against a boss?

"element display above enemies", let's see what the README says about it

===Field Effect===

The battle terrain holds 5 elemental icons, displayed above the enemy names in the UI in the bottom left.
For each matching icon strength of attacks, heals and status effect chance of that element is increased.
Every element has one element that opposes it which lowers the above effect,
the opposing element is always the element that also resists it (but is not the same), e.g. earth weakens lightning.

The 5 initial icons are based on the current battle location.

Every time an action is used that displays its name at the top, that action's element gets pushed unto the terrain elements
and removes the oldest one (the left-most icon).

In short:
1) use attacks that hit a weakness to increase your offense power via field elements
2) use the opposing element of your enemy to greatly reduce their power
3) stack a status effect's element to have a greater chance to bypass status immunities

So if you have earth - bolt - water - holy - fire and use an ice attack (that produces a message at the top, e.g. not !Fight), the earth icon gets removed and it becomes bolt - water - holy - fire - ice
with that future ice attacks would be a bit stronger than before.
That's probably where your damage swings come from.

"bosses are insanely difficult"
Did you try the config menu? It has a difficulty slider where the defunct message speed was.
If you set that habitually to 1/high then... yeah.

The crab boss is supposed to take minimal damage from weapons that are not his weakness to make sure players have grasped elements at least a little - y'know, use either !Scan or the element chart from the zip to figure out a weakness and then abuse it, as a start, not as the only solution, mind you.

One more idea; if you've continued your save from the old version in the new version... you might have the NG+ flag set since that was one of the job abp values before the move.

Why is exdeath unnecessarily difficult in his castle...?

He's neutral and every attack does close too nothing. He starts out by putting a 15 or 10 second condemn which allows for only 2 actions per character.

I've tried so many configurations including using 3 blue mages with exploder which each hit for 20k damage, coupled with brave to do it twice each.

I've tried dragoon configuration to avoid condemn, but jump does virtually no damage.

I've tried killing off my own people and reviving which was my best bet but then he does condemn AGAIN with an even lower timer... Couple this with the item cool down and mp being needlessly low and there's no way to keep that tactic going.

I'm way overleveled even, at 63, and I've maxed out my job leveling at 30 abilities.

In the original game you would reach this boss around level 25-30 and he wouldn't be this difficult.

What changed and WTH?

Screenshot_20180616-130323.png

Screenshot_20180616-130347.png

errr.... can you give me your save file (.srm) from before the fight?

Also you can cure the doom counter with Life or similar, no need to kill them off before.
And he should be weak to holy (!Scan is your friend on pretend-to-be-neutral fiends).

Finishing up the end game quests - legendary weapons etc. 

Enjoying the hell out of this. I have a lot of feedback if you're interested when I'm done.

Is there a farmable location for Kaiser gloves? The monk enhancement accessory?

50 minutes ago, Fein-Life said:

Enjoying the hell out of this. I have a lot of feedback if you're interested when I'm done.

Yes, please, all of it.

51 minutes ago, Fein-Life said:

Is there a farmable location for Kaiser gloves? The monk enhancement accessory?

I only found them on FallGuard/SteelArm or whatever dude #181 is called now.

Is gogo beatable in this version?  I've tried waiting until his script ends the battle and that never comes..

I've tried beating him and obviously he's not designed to be beaten. 

When time runs out u get Mime but your oxygen runs out simultaneously.

Ok, so your Gogo is beatable through time but you have to keep defending in order to progress the hidden timer in battle.