praetarius5018

Final Fantasy 5: the brainstorming

121 posts in this topic

That'd be... not that hard to do actually?
Flipside ofc. being that certain bosses "depend" on casting Meteo (desperation mode neo x-death), so if those count too...
and otherwise it gets weird... the player has no Meteo left but the boss can pull more stones from outerspace out of his ass...

Wow, I was only joking but I think it's amazing that the mechanic could be a real, possible thing. Maybe not in this game though. One issue is what you described, the other is that players would just only use it for the final boss. Or at least that's what I would do. *side glances at my supply of untouched elixirs at the end of every game I play*

Though if I was going to go with that mechanic, I would link it to the extradimensional shenanigans in the story line. Any time those gates to the Boss Dimension open up and scoop out towns or whatever, the leaked energy makes high level spells possible. A limited number though. Any time a story event like that happens the "supply" of super magic should be set to a specific amount rather than stockpiling it up. Gives the player more incentive to use what they've got. As for the monsters, well they LIVED there, they're soaked in the stuff so they have their own reserve. And the final dungeon is actually in that dimensional space so the power spells can be cast without limit.

Wait, am I actually suggesting this as a game mechanic? I swear I wasn't serious at first. But looking at it now, it seems at least a little bit interesting. What do you think?

eh, not that hard.
would just need a free byte in RAM (this is the hardest part, seriously) for the counter
and then when it is reached replace the active cast of "meteo" with a "out of space rocks" spell that does nothing, same effect as I already do with the echo spell.

But I'll still say no to this one (unless Meteo turns out to be super-broken OP), it feels arbitrary and unclear for the player.
Fire weak to water and other weaknesses - nothing outside the norm, maybe a few weird interactions in the chart but overall it makes sense.
But running out of space rocks for meteo but having enough for infinite comet casts (same sprite) and enemies still having some left - why?

For regular enemies you can ignore this mechanic since those come usually in packs of 2-8, hitting 4 of those is not much different from a regular aoe spell.

Yeah, the sort of limits on the highest spells as I described above would need to be transparent to the player for any meaningful decisions to happen. it would take a huge amount of work and balancing and I don't really see how it would be worthwhile from a practical standpoint. Better to just keep the spells balanced enough that the basic combat system isn't broken by them. it's just fun to throw ideas around sometimes.

Download

If someone wants to try it:
At this point I'm mostly looking for feedback on mechanics, less on numbers. Don't expect the later to be merciful.

Also, please change the names of all party members (hold L or R when opening the menu, opens name change for lead character)
and tell me dialogs where they still display the vanilla names, I might have forgotten a text box or fifty.

Beginner house has not yet changed dialog, I want to touch that once I'm certain mechanics work, and not just in the non-buggy sense.

And of course as is typical for me the package includes too much documentation nobody will read.
I hope this will not be as necessary at the end as with SD3, at most the element table will be...

element_sheet.png

one thing I might have not meantioned;
if an enemy has a rare drop (1/16 chance) and you have no copy of that yet (inventory, equipped or already in battle wards), you get it 100%.

this should happen as soon as the "tutorial" fight with two goblins, they have a rare drop of a ruby relic

well i have a questionm the first boss has a rare drop is worth to get all rare drop from enemys right now im testing the game in the single mode witch means if i get to the first cristal i have to choose one job from my party members it will be dificuly to choose any tips to build up a party bacuse this is diferent than the origeinal i played years ago right?

Sorry, but I won't even contemplate real party advise until I'm "95% done".
You can turn single mode off any time you want, only activating it is limited to the start.
Of course, you can get a penalty for "illegal" classes then (same as if you'd use the 10 gold Sage Stone from the first shop for that purpose).

Last I checked all bosses had guaranteed drops.
Or do you mean steals? Those haven't been changed.
So whether that is worth bothering is more or less the same answer as it was in vanilla.

Edited by praetarius5018

hmm... ok, a few do have rare drops.
but if you have 0 copies of that yet you should get it 100%, and I don't think you'll miss not getting a turtle shell from carbunkle.

when i was fighting the wing raptor  i was low level 3 i noticed that item usage is limited becuse has a timer? anyways i am trying to say i noticed that every time i use the item the number of itens dosent go down it was 3 when i used 3 times and contined 3 you know why 

This.

More in depth, you don't use any item up in this version, instead you get a cooldown for ALL items on that character, this includes !Item, !Mix, !Throw and !Drink.
A few items have fixed length cooldowns but get stronger with higher stacks, e.g. a 1-stack potion heals 50, 99 potions 1250 but cooldown is static; compare with elixir which always recovers all HP but gets cooldown reduction from "try again next battle" at 1 copy down to about 10 turns at a 99 stack; ok MP recovered increases also (15 -> 100).

Cooldown can be speed up with defending and the time spell "Renew".

Breaking rods does not give a cooldown but is one of two categories that still use up items at all.
The other being tents.

I'd not be surprised if this change dropped Chemist from most-powerful-job-if-you-know-what-you-do to second worst.

2 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

This.

More in depth, you don't use any item up in this version, instead you get a cooldown for ALL items on that character, this includes !Item, !Mix, !Throw and !Drink.
A few items have fixed length cooldowns but get stronger with higher stacks, e.g. a 1-stack potion heals 50, 99 potions 1250 but cooldown is static; compare with elixir which always recovers all HP but gets cooldown reduction from "try again next battle" at 1 copy down to about 10 turns at a 99 stack; ok MP recovered increases also (15 -> 100).

Cooldown can be speed up with defending and the time spell "Renew".

Breaking rods does not give a cooldown but is one of two categories that still use up items at all.
The other being tents.

I'd not be surprised if this change dropped Chemist from most-powerful-job-if-you-know-what-you-do to second worst.

Do you think that you could also make a song that reduces cooldowns? Seems weird, but that could be an interesting combo. 

Depends, as a continous effect or a buff or one cast = less cooldown left?

Also not without removing any other song.
I'm sorta already at the limit of what can be added.

Small status update:

1) I found a use for the status screen, elemental affinities (replaces the "equip: any" part):

FF5_status.png

2) I can now add up to 10 new classes, but that's irrelevant, right?
Though they'd just be palette swaps, no unique sprites.

3) I've expanded my collection of square mechanics by something from Chrono Cross, field elements:

FF5_ice.png

That are the 5 symbols above the enemies' names.
Matching icon gives +10% damage/heal or slightly increased chance to inflict a status effect, the opposing element reduces the same.
!Summon (the ability, not the spells!) is affected in a more extreme way.

4) Title Drop! A New Game Plus mode.
Character levels, job levels, items, magic and abilities carry over,
cap of total job levels increases from 30 to 70 (NOT enough to max all jobs of a character)
and enemy stats increase; enemies cap at NG+15.
Can be accessed at any time by holding L/R. when loading a save game.

5) Escaped monster grant 50% exp instead of 0.
Multi-killed monster (e.g. via Life, Gargoyle respawn) now grant the exp for each kill instead of only once.
Total exp gain per battle is capped at a measly 8,388,607 - though that was enough to go from Lv8 to 95, so...

Just patched this game. Before I stream this, quick questions:

Is there bonus content

Is this a complete ROM

Are there serious bugs

What are the major additions to this rom

Why haven't I seen this anywhere on the internet???

Mastered my first set of classes then realized.. there is no freelancer job..?

Do all classes gain the benefits of the mastered classes now? I.e. Faris mastered a blue mage and switched to thief, does she now have the innate "learning" ability of the blue mage for free?

I noticed also that my black mage had double grip from the mastered knight haha. Nice.

Most of the character abilities have random words with no description so I have no idea what some skills do.

The item system (at least the early game) is completely busted.

Of course I'm still at the wind shrine (or right outside of it)

A few screenshots from my game.

I just got the berserker and it's easily the most busted job in the game. I am putting out over 1k damage a turn and he doesn't even go into berserk (I control actions every turn). He has twin cuts which allows him to double strike and 4x double grip (mastered knight) and I can equip 3 more which all stack properly.

I also have a picture of my HP using 3x Bulwark. I'm only level 17 (not sure what the level cap is) and have 5000 hp.

Ive also experienced my first game crash. Right after I got the berserker, I put bartz with that job and began grinding right before the next town (I think it's the fire town) and I encountered a 6 pack of wolves, used twin cuts, and my game glitched up and froze. I tried recreating it but was unsuccessful. 

Otherwise, aside from how busted my characters are, I fucking love this game and what you're doing to it! I'm going to continue updating these posts with my thoughts. 

There's also many other thoughts and issues ice found in the game but they're all trivial.

Screenshot_20180613-090908.png

Screenshot_20180613-090926.png

Screenshot_20180613-090941.png

Screenshot_20180613-090947.png

18 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Just patched this game. Before I stream this, quick questions:

Is there bonus content

Is this a complete ROM

Are there serious bugs

What are the major additions to this rom

Why haven't I seen this anywhere on the internet???

Not at that point, though the full version will have 10 extra jobs.

No, WIP

I hope not. No one's reported anything yet.

Can I just say, RTFM? (Item cooldown, MP=ATB, job restrictions/changes, element changes, ....)

16 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

Mastered my first set of classes then realized.. there is no freelancer job..?

Do all classes gain the benefits of the mastered classes now? I.e. Faris mastered a blue mage and switched to thief, does she now have the innate "learning" ability of the blue mage for free?

I noticed also that my black mage had double grip from the mastered knight haha. Nice.

Most of the character abilities have random words with no description so I have no idea what some skills do.

Jup, freelancer is useless; every job has now every innate ability.

Still same as vanilla.

The item system (at least the early game) is completely busted.

Please explain what you mean.

2 hours ago, Fein-Life said:

A few screenshots from my game.

I just got the berserker and it's easily the most busted job in the game. I am putting out over 1k damage a turn and he doesn't even go into berserk (I control actions every turn). He has twin cuts which allows him to double strike and 4x double grip (mastered knight) and I can equip 3 more which all stack properly.

I also have a picture of my HP using 3x Bulwark. I'm only level 17 (not sure what the level cap is) and have 5000 hp.

Ive also experienced my first game crash. Right after I got the berserker, I put bartz with that job and began grinding right before the next town (I think it's the fire town) and I encountered a 6 pack of wolves, used twin cuts, and my game glitched up and froze. I tried recreating it but was unsuccessful. 

Otherwise, aside from how busted my characters are, I fucking love this game and what you're doing to it! I'm going to continue updating these posts with my thoughts. 

There's also many other thoughts and issues ice found in the game but they're all trivial.

pff, 1k damage is NOTHING.
Add spellblade for x2 damage if you can match the weakness (does NOT consume a turn, only MP to activate).
Power/Hero song, !Black/Tempr (or !Drink a power drink, same but only on user), something else I'm forgetting... I stopped buffing when my Lv8 char hit 20k damage. (admittedly he had a maxed Brave Blade)
But then later bosses can get 6 digit HP values so it isn't even near overkill.

Controllable Berserker is intended.

Level cap is still 99. Though HP (and damage) growth slows a lot after Lv30.

I've had a few non-reproducable bugs as well... let's hope I have them accidentally fixed?

Just as a warning:
I've one more bug to fix, then I can release a new version - which won't be compatible with old save games.