Lheticus

So, I want to play, but...

5 posts in this topic

I really want to play Super Mario RPG Armageddon, but the download page for it specifies "Patches should only be applied to the legally obtained 1999 US version of the ROM. Compatible with SNES9x 1.53+"

As far as I'm aware, "legally obtained ROM" is an oxymoron. Is this just going to be flat out impossible for me? :(

13 hours ago, Lheticus said:

As far as I'm aware, "legally obtained ROM" is an oxymoron. Is this just going to be flat out impossible for me? :(

You can legally make a personal copy of a SNES cartridge.  Technically, this is what it's referring to.

Of course, we have no way of knowing (nor do we care) how you actually obtain the ROM...

Edited by Doomsday31415

It's just cheeky speak to cover their own ass, just grab a rom off of any site and apply the patch.

You can't even legally buy most older games anyway, as in there's no opportunity to obtain them. Only the most popular choices get available digitally, but that is still only a minor percentage of the library so torrenting/pirating is the only way to keep a lot of these games in circulation and alive as a sort of archive.

12 hours ago, DrewDragoon said:

It's just cheeky speak to cover their own ass, just grab a rom off of any site and apply the patch.

You can't even legally buy most older games anyway, as in there's no opportunity to obtain them. Only the most popular choices get available digitally, but that is still only a minor percentage of the library so torrenting/pirating is the only way to keep a lot of these games in circulation and alive as a sort of archive.

That's not really true, the cartridge is still being sold both online and in retro game stores. However you get your rom is up to you but ngplus has no part in that.