Sign in to follow this  
videoplushie

Is something wrong with my mod

14 posts in this topic

I'll be quite simple, because I'm extremely confused. I recently downloaded and patched BWN 1.9.0, and got it loaded and set sucessfully. But....I noticed some very strange things that don't gell with anything in the readme, or even seem to be from the same person. Every enemy seems to hit like a freight truck, requiring me to spam temporary healing items for seemingly no reason. I have hell getting up the mountain Sabin is on because of those condors using gale slashes to cut my HP in half(69-75 damage to everyone.) And that wans't an isolated issue either.

But really, what hit me most was the Phantom Trains in Sabins scenerio at the start of the game. Every enemy has moves that make no sense. At first I thought it was the mod being trash and was ready to write it off, but I looked it up and, I seem to be having a unique problem. The "demon" enemies have a move called Elf Fire that basically instant-killed anyone by doing 250 undodgable fire damage, zombies can cause poison and cast Doom for no reason, and bombs explode for 150-200 damage rather quickly. And this isn't an isolated issue. The bunnies in the first area killed Sabin and shadow by themselves on my first fight, with each attack doing around 50-60 damage. But the worst by far is Phantom Train himself. Not only does he start with Evil Too before my ATB bars are event 10% full, but he somehow spams the afor mentioned Elf Fire extremely often, and in one fight killed me before I could even press A. He even seemed to be missing attacks like Wheel.

Am I missing something? Whats happening here. Why do zombies have Doom, and why do half the enemies have 300+ damage fire spells out of absolutely nowhere? No one other screenshot or letsplay has this problem. Is this just new to 1.9, or did I fuck up?

Edit: As an additional, I wanted to bring a mroe concrete example of this happening before Phantom Train. the Albatrosses in the raft section before the first split has fireball, which they tended to spam every 3rd attack, and attacked twice for every time my team members got to go once. In one battle against 2 of them, I ended up having to reset because my whole team went down to just Banon and Terra before anyone's ATB bar filled up.

Edited by videoplushie

It is a clean ROM. I downloaded it explicitly for the mod. Am I nuts? I would incredibly glad to hear this is just a glitchy patch job. I sware to you, the ROM was clean, fresh download

The ROm itself is 3073kb, and I sued the headed patcher, [h] Brave new Worlds 1.9.0.

Seriously if I can get confirmation this is just a wonky patch job id be estatic to hear it. The readme suggested the guys making this mod are much smarter than the game I'm running into.

Additional: I got the mod file from here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2095
I'm going to download it from this site as well and see if that helps any on a fresh ROM while this is figured out.

Edited by videoplushie

Actually... I just re-read your first post. What you're describing is actually how BNW works normally. Generally the worst attacks that enemies have (i.e. the Demons using Elf Fire) has a specific trigger and can be avoided. Part of the next version is rewriting enemy AI for these triggers to be much more obvious and for enemy behavior as a whole being easier to identify and exploit. 

This is what happens when you don't test your own game for 6 versions.
Edit: That is more to say that it's on us for not helping point this out sooner.

Edited by Yuyu

I was thinking mostly the AI behaviours not being where you wanted them, as you relied on how we felt instead. Hopefully this helps tone down issues like this with 1.10, as sometimes I wondered of maybe we were getting too tuned in numbers without the AI. 

Guess we're going to need to see some numbers from your game via screencap, get an idea of your levels and see if there indeed is an anomaly, videoplushie.

What would cause the train to pull Elf Fire before I can even press the A button? this isn't a counter, every type of attack I can throw at it illicits no response. It's doing this randomly, entirely on his own. What about the Albatross's throwing fireball? I didn't even have to touch them for those things to start spamming it, whats the trigger I'm somehow hitting? Because it didn't matter if I was actually hit the thing or leaving it alone, or if there was only one left, or two left, they still used it. And why do the zombies in the train have Doom that they can randomly activate? I have no healers or even way to prevent that, and they do it whenever they feel like without warning, the same way they cast infect.

And hell, even those demons, what can I even do to avoid Elf Fire, because those demons use Elf Fire on their own if I do nothing....and use Elf Fire if I kill them with anything but Blitz, throw, and a specific bushido(mind drain). That doesn't seem like an avoidable trigger,especially if they have other units. And what about the train? How did I trigger that thing? I didn't even press A, all I "did" but have cyan and Sabin hit the thing with their attacks, and that doesn't trigger the thing to use Elf Fire normally, nor does it do it in any letsplay I watched.

Edit: I'll get some screencaps to run, I'm not exactly perfectly built but I still can't fight enemies that insta-gib me before I can even heal

Edited by videoplushie

Nah, I read the post and his numbers are about right. Elf Fire is brutally powerful coming out of Demons, and magic attacks as a whole are very strong early on because the magic formula has a very high floor for that early in the game. I wrote enemies to use a mix of physical and magical damage, but I think I leaned too heavy in the magic direction too early on in the game. It's something that I've addressed... to an extent.

tl;dr - dude here isn't wrong, and once again I'm at that point in development where pretty much everything I have to say about the current version is that it'll be fixed in the next one.

RE: the Soul Train, it uses Elf Fire only when it sees that a character has been Bserked. It's intended as a mercy kill for a character that you've already lost control of. The fight itself is one of the more RNG-based in the game just because of how Evil Toot can swing. I wrote the fight largely assuming the presence of status protection relics (which the Ghost Rings are, by the way), which mitigates that significantly.

Edited by BTB

so, I'm not losing it? I really dont get why Zombies have Doom or the random condors have gale-whatever that cuts my parties HP in half, or fireball and its 101-121 damage(less to Tera but w/e) to everyone, and can be spammed whether I'm attacking them or not. I really don't see the trigger here, and that's not even getting into the train. I've wiped 4 times on that thing before even getting past the first set of turns because the thing just spams either Elf fire whenver it wants to wipe out a character, with no visible trigger. I know I'm bad at RPGs but I'd like to think I can find -something-.

Zombies and Condors specifically are on a timer. Every time the global battle timer hits a certain point, they will use Doom/Gale Cut, respectively. This ensures that they don't all just spam said attack at once and identifies them as enemies that should probably be defeated first before they can get those attacks off (which admittedly can be hard to do). The flip-side of that is that larger, more powerful enemies tend to be triggered by either being alone or taking damage at all, so it becomes a puzzle to figure out.

Or that's the intention, anyway. As it stands, I don't think it's very well set up, and enemy behavior still feels very random. There are only a few isolated cases where enemy behavior is truly predictable, and I'm working on fixing that.

8 hours ago, videoplushie said:

fireball and its 101-121 damage(less to Tera but w/e) to everyone

You can mitigate this with imp, it cuts the damage by half and gives you more chances to survive 'em (same goes with Plasma).