Soulofsteel

Smithy bug?

17 posts in this topic

On the smithy fight, got through the above ground phase fine, and the first part of the below ground phase. He switched to ghost head and all was well until my attacks started perma missing. Can't hit him with any attacks, specials hit but every element except ice seems to heal. However, the only ice special I have is ice orb on Mario that does about 35 damage per use versus the 5-15k that I have been doing with physical attacks. Is this a bug or is there some solution that I can't see?

Edit: Upon trying again it's lightning that does the 35 or so damage and ice heals. But this changes nothing in terms of beating the fight.

Edited by Soulofsteel

Weakness is one thing, but absorb all elements that I have except lightning which I have 1 insanely weak attack of, and avoiding physical altogether? Is it turn to turn his weakness changes? Or maybe when he does his massive hit all attack? 

26 minutes ago, Soulofsteel said:

Weakness is one thing, but absorb all elements that I have except lightning which I have 1 insanely weak attack of, and avoiding physical altogether? Is it turn to turn his weakness changes? Or maybe when he does his massive hit all attack? 

You need to have characters with strong magic to stand a chance.

His weakness changes every time he uses Barrier Shift. The first weakness change happens after the "massive hit all attack" if I recall correctly.

Remember: If Smithy isn't weak to a certain element, he will absorb it. If you use a physical attack, it'll miss unless that's what Smithy is weak to. The only way to guarantee damage is knowing his current weakness or using non-elemental attacks such as Geno Whirl.

This hack is the best hack I've ever played but I have to say that I don't like the final fight. I read that you can respec later on so I didn't worry about suboptimal stats on level up and I use Mario and Bowser as strong attackers, while peach heals and can use her strong aoe special. But creating a need for any random element throughout a late phase of a battle seems so specific and unnecessary. Not sure if I should hope I get lucky and he changes back to physical weakness or if I should reset and use mallow to try to cover lightning and ice better, either way will be a struggle to want to continue that fight. 

12 minutes ago, Soulofsteel said:

This hack is the best hack I've ever played but I have to say that I don't like the final fight. I read that you can respec later on so I didn't worry about suboptimal stats on level up and I use Mario and Bowser as strong attackers, while peach heals and can use her strong aoe special. But creating a need for any random element throughout a late phase of a battle seems so specific and unnecessary. Not sure if I should hope I get lucky and he changes back to physical weakness or if I should reset and use mallow to try to cover lightning and ice better, either way will be a struggle to want to continue that fight. 

Mallow is good for strong magic and Geno can do some good damage with Geno Whirl.

Going to bump this instead of making a new thread of the same scenario.

So I’m at Smithy, and able to make it to the Barrier Shift portion without too much issue. I’ve only successfully gotten to that point in the battle using Mario-Peach-Geno (all-HP level ups). However, once he uses Barrier Shift, I can’t use physical attacks anymore.

I know the concept of what I need to do (I read above), but I have no real method to hurt him afterwards, as all I have that deals some semblance of magic damage is Peach Beam, which is elemental. I also can’t for the life of me figure out the timing for Geno Whirl, which doesn’t help matters.

What do I do? Is Geno Whirl my only option, and how do I use it if so? When does Mallow learn Royal Guard, so maybe I could use him instead of Peach?

Wait, he switches weaknesses? I didn't notice at all as don't think my attacks ever missed once... Though I think I was using bombs away Geno and (super) jump only.

6 hours ago, chronoquairium said:

Going to bump this instead of making a new thread of the same scenario.

So I’m at Smithy, and able to make it to the Barrier Shift portion without too much issue. I’ve only successfully gotten to that point in the battle using Mario-Peach-Geno (all-HP level ups). However, once he uses Barrier Shift, I can’t use physical attacks anymore.

I know the concept of what I need to do (I read above), but I have no real method to hurt him afterwards, as all I have that deals some semblance of magic damage is Peach Beam, which is elemental. I also can’t for the life of me figure out the timing for Geno Whirl, which doesn’t help matters.

What do I do? Is Geno Whirl my only option, and how do I use it if so? When does Mallow learn Royal Guard, so maybe I could use him instead of Peach?

Geno Whirl isn't really the only option, but it's probably the easiest option. The timing is right as it makes contact with the enemy (I could be wrong here, I haven't played in a while). Also, Mallow learns Royal Guard from getting some sweet revenge against a certain lady. Talk to the people of Nimbus Land to get some more clues and then search for high places. I wouldn't use Mallow over Peach personally, but with the right setup, anyone can be viable.

5 hours ago, reiknight said:

Wait, he switches weaknesses? I didn't notice at all as don't think my attacks ever missed once... Though I think I was using bombs away Geno and (super) jump only.

Wait where did you get them? I thought I found everything. Hints work, I don’t think I’ll need a straight answer.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Geno Whirl isn't really the only option, but it's probably the easiest option. The timing is right as it makes contact with the enemy (I could be wrong here, I haven't played in a while). Also, Mallow learns Royal Guard from getting some sweet revenge against a certain lady. Talk to the people of Nimbus Land to get some more clues and then search for high places. I wouldn't use Mallow over Peach personally, but with the right setup, anyone can be viable.

Alright, got it. I’ll see what I can do.

5 minutes ago, chronoquairium said:

Wait where did you get them? I thought I found everything. Hints work, I don’t think I’ll need a straight answer.

Alright, got it. I’ll see what I can do.

Bomb's Away: Geno's ultimate weapon. You get it by beating Jinx.

Super Jump: An alternate version of the jump special that replaces the jump special while Mario is equipped with the Attack Scarf. You get the Attack Scarf by beating The Master.

Both of these bosses are solo battles, so if you plan to beat them, make sure you're prepared.

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Bomb's Away: Geno's ultimate weapon. You get it by beating Jinx.

Super Jump: An alternate version of the jump special that replaces the jump special while Mario is equipped with the Attack Scarf. You get the Attack Scarf by beating The Master.

Both of these bosses are solo battles, so if you plan to beat them, make sure you're prepared.

So I got Mallow’s Royal Guard and Bombs Away, but I can’t find the Master. Beating Jinx a second time nets 30 Frog Coins, so that’s not it. Where is he? I can do the rest myself. Probably.

35 minutes ago, chronoquairium said:

So I got Mallow’s Royal Guard and Bombs Away, but I can’t find the Master. Beating Jinx a second time nets 30 Frog Coins, so that’s not it. Where is he? I can do the rest myself. Probably.

The Master can be found in the castle in the Mushroom Kingdom. If you've been to Daisy's room previously, you'll find The Master on the way.

I was wondering why the Smithy fight seemed so anti-climactic. I thought I had overleveled, but I guess those gears are more beginning post-game than late end-game.

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

The Master can be found in the castle in the Mushroom Kingdom. If you've been to Daisy's room previously, you'll find The Master on the way.

Alright, thanks! That was enough for me to beat Smithy.

Then my emulator crashed because I’m using a 3DS emulator so I have to do it all over again

But all the stuff helped! Now I know I can do it.

56 minutes ago, chronoquairium said:

Alright, thanks! That was enough for me to beat Smithy.

Then my emulator crashed because I’m using a 3DS emulator so I have to do it all over again

But all the stuff helped! Now I know I can do it.

Glad I could help :)