Sign in to follow this  
Windows X

I'd like to finish up DrBretto's FFT 1.3 WOTL 1.3.1.3 after beta 5

3 posts in this topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJvSDJ5rRr8

I used to try modding FFT 1.3 before and I admit I was too young to realize its mechanics and design philosophy back on those days. Those changes and ideas I pushed back then seem to be silly and stupid now when I know more about game mechanics after modding for a while.

After modding Valeria project for years and made quite a stable improvements as true to vanilla re-balance, I hope I could contribute to improve FFT 1.3 WOTL project. Last update was beta 5 since 2013 and no update since and there were some inconsistencies that can be improved.

I won't touch original mechanics DrBretto set and won't change the vision more than re-balance of certain abilities to be more manageable. My goal is to make the game being more tolerable to RNG and allow more possible strategies. I've uploaded my first video demonstrating some changes I applied to tutorial battle below.

My intention right now is to make no changes to job stats which may affect strategies and difficulty, no changes to status infliction flag, range, MP cost, and speed of abilities. I intend to adjust parameters to scale better through the game and make RNG and some abilities less broken with some nerfs and buffs a little.

The reason why 1.3 is hard and can be too punishing is some abilities being too effective making some battles too punishing. Re-balancing 1.3 can make the game less punishing and open more possibilities to try more strategies. Since I won't change core mechanics and job stats or even item, its soul of 1.3 shouldn't be tampered significantly.

Edited by Windows X

Excellent. Valeria is a fantastic FFT mod and it's great to see more love for WotL in general. I'm by no means great at 1.3 but I do love picking it up from time to time scratch that Tactics itch and WotL is in many ways the superior version for me. If memory serves though, weren't a fair number of ability tool tips from that mod just incorrect? If I am remembering right, will those be addressed too?

17 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Excellent. Valeria is a fantastic FFT mod and it's great to see more love for WotL in general. I'm by no means great at 1.3 but I do love picking it up from time to time scratch that Tactics itch and WotL is in many ways the superior version for me. If memory serves though, weren't a fair number of ability tool tips from that mod just incorrect? If I am remembering right, will those be addressed too?

If I can have text script from DrBretto or kyozo22, I can correct them. I tried to import ISO but couldn't patch it back.

New 1.3.1.3 seems to have prolong fight idea. I may consider patching 1.3.1.0 instead too.

Edited by Windows X