Hapanpappa

Going in blind to SMRPG - where to start

7 posts in this topic

For the longest time I wasn't interested in SMRPG at all for some reason but recently happened upon a video that just ignited my interest all of a sudden, and now I can't wait to get into it. So now I'm looking for insightful opinions&thoughts from people well-versed in rpg hard mods and the like - which version of Armageddon should I start with?

-I got into SNES-era games via emulation as an adult since I never owned one as a kid so naturally their nonexistent difficulty got me into playing hard mods

-I've played A LOT of rpgs&hard mods, new and old, generally enjoy going in blind and setting the difficulty to highest possible right off the bat

-BUT I know next to nothing about SMRPG, and don't wanna know; from various videos online I've seen how it looks in passing and that you play as Mario and apparently Bowser becomes playable at some point

-I expect to die a lot trying to figure out how to beat enemies and bosses; if I can beat a boss I'm not familiar with on the first few tries, then it's not a hard mod

Probably the most important thing to know is whether it's possible to completely play yourself into a corner and not be able to proceed in the game due to missing something/doing something wrong(bound to happen as a first-timer) early on that has unknowable ramifications later.

Thanks in advance for thoughts on the matter. Hard to gauge something like this myself, not knowing anything about the game or this mod. Also I trust that the mod is in a state where there's no gamebreaking bugs or anything like that to worry about? Just pick up and play?

I'd recommend starting out with version 9's normal mode.  You won't have to worry about making some permanent mistake, and it has far more in-game clues to find things than previous versions.  If you beat that and want a harder challenge, hopefully by then hard mode will be released.  If it's not, you can always go back to version 8's hard mode, but I do not recommend starting with that.

As to your last point, the game has been thoroughly tested, but it is still only a mod.  While there aren't any known crashes and you can die without losing your progress (unlike vanilla), you should still keep save states handy just in case.

Enjoy!

:coolguy:

1 hour ago, Hapanpappa said:

Sounds good, can't wait. What's with version 8 hard mode? Tad too ridiculous to start off with huh? :D

Ridiculous and pseudo-impossible at times.

Ridiculously hard, much more buggy, and basically expects you to use a guide to figure out what to do.

But since the boss locations haven't changed between v8 and v9, you can learn about all of them in v9 and then experience a very different game in v8.

2 hours ago, Doomsday31415 said:

Ridiculously hard, much more buggy, and basically expects you to use a guide to figure out what to do.

But since the boss locations haven't changed between v8 and v9, you can learn about all of them in v9 and then experience a very different game in v8.

I'd start with v8 before v9 tbh. That's just me though

Edited by Darkcelestrian