BTB

Brave New World 2.0 - Beta Thread

200 posts in this topic

Things you should ask Cainen about:

-Blind seems to be halving Jump damage
(Confirmed, but would like more testing)

-Banshees are interacting...oddly with Sketch. 
(Definitely needs more testing to determine root cause)

-Shadow murdered Edgar for casting Bserk on him. 
(Can't replicate. Will open a bug if it can be.)

-Landslide Slows characters with Float. 
(Confirmed bug)

This is all I know. Ask Cainen for details on Discord ;p

Edited by BTB

[caption #621]
[Image] and [Clear] and make it impossible for physical attacks to hit you

(Fixed in next RC)

Edited by BTB

Opening the out-of-battle Rage menu is crashing RC17
(Should be fixed as of RC-18)

Edited by BTB

The unequip Imp during the scenarios still appears on the scenario select map when the scenarios conclude.  He also doesn't get hidden when you select a scenario, unlike the other map actors. (RC 17)

Final Fantasy III (n, 2.0 RC17)-001.png

Edited by Satarack

When in Narshe with Edgar Terra and Banon:  Banon+Clawglip = potential cheap wipe.

Clawglip spams Rock each turn when he's the last enemy standing (which inflicts Confuse on everyone), and at this level Banon's thunderrod is instadeath on any party member if it procs and casts Thunder2 (and if that's himself, you're fucked even if Terra and Edgar are still alive).  The only way to not die this way is to hope Terra or Edgar attack & unconfuse a party member who's ATB is higher than the Clawglips before Banon wipes the party, or to run, but a player who hasn't noticed that Banon has a Thunder2 proccing weapon might not realize that Banon can one-hit kill people when he's confused until it actually happens (luckily for me, he only killed Terra and Edgar and I was able to get him to run before he could kill himself).

There's a formation of Clawglip and 3 Mechanix; Mechanix have low HP and Edgar and Terra both have strong MT attacks (AC and Fire), so there's a decent chance of Clawglip being the last alive with this formation especially.

An easy fix could be to add confuse immunity to codpiece (dunno if codpiece is available to players later in the game and if adding confuse immunity to it would be undesired), or to swap one of Banon's equipment/relics with something that has confuse immunity.

^This happened to me too, but I liked it

Not sure if a bug, but when you kill the Bombs in the burning house with a sweeper, they die one by one, which is kind of neat the first time, but mildly annoying the 10th time you sweep six of them
(What kind of sweeper? Aqualung OHKOs them and they won't explode if you take them down to 0 HP)

Chimera enemy might need an Mpower nerf, Aqualung hits the party for ~300, Fireball hits the party for ~250 and sets sap on everyone, and he pretty much spams those the entire fight, while being very hard to kill (immune to Fire which is Terra's main attack, had to resort to using Break which her which is such an MP drain) and immune to Stop. Back attacks are particularly deadly, would open with Aqualung + Fireball and be either a wipe or near a wipe before the party got a turn.
(If only Terra had a spell that might make those fights easier...)

I fucking love early Holy Wind.
(I'm guessing it helps with Ultros 3?)

Ultros 3 may need an Mdef buff? Locke with just a Thief Glove and an Elec Sword was swinging for 1000 + 1500 procs, Morphed Fire 2 was hitting for 2500, Strago Fire Rod was hitting for 2k, he went down in like two rounds.
(Intended. Most players are not really able to go all-out offense with all three characters like that, and using Strago's rods for damage is something very few new players think to do.)

Random thought: What if there were an option in the config menu for text boxes to be full immediately instead of scrolling?
(I do not think this is mechanically possible)

Edited by BTB

Levels:
Vargas: All 8
Ultros 1: T/S/E 9, Banon 10

Only other note prior to Locke's scenario is that Repo Men are pretty deadly during Banon's route. Three enemies capable of outspeeding you and throwing Step Mine could easily mean an unavoidable Game Over. Luckily they seemed to be focus firing Terra with those, so that was kind...

Spoiler

BNW Beta RC18 Playtest Notes
3/3/2019 1030-1300
South Figaro Basement to Gau Get

Locke is in the front row with the Knight's Cape/Safety Glove, a Buckler and an Iron Cutlass. Celes is in the back throwing a Boomerang (let's see if I remember to change that when I need Runic). Oh, Black Belt is nice here. That'll replace Locke's Safety Glove... and then an Officer/DobermanX2 formation just crushed Locke as he valiantly defended a full health Celes. This got Locke moved to the back row and given a Boomerang. After that, randoms here were standard fare. On the other hand...

Phantom is brutal. It outsped 41 Speed Celes and Doom'd Locke. Celes managed to dodge what is apparently a sleep attack and eat Demis until she could Cure it to death, but the fight could have easily gone south and forced a replay of the whole basement. If you don't want to tone the battle down, could it be traded with the Black Belt chest so it's at least closer to the save point?

Anyway, I high tailed it to Sabin's Cabin after that for some heals and headed off to face Hell Rider. Celes and Locke had one Boomerang each in the back row and they tore through the randoms in the cave. For Hell Rider I gave Locke back his Iron Saber and Knight's Cape. Celes also grabbed an Iron Saber, and she's wearing the White Cape and Magic Cube. The fight was the standard Runic tutorial. Forgot to check levels before this fight. No one leveled after, so hopefully I remember to check at K@N.

At the Choco-vender, I picked up a pair of Spirit Claws, 70 Dried Meat (up to 99) and, 10 Phoenix Downs (up to 22), 20 Shuriken and 10 Smoke Bombs, leaving me with 657 GP. Shadow got Black Belt/Goggles, Sabin got Knight's Cape/Safety Glove (although Shadow is in the front row for now). Randoms before the camp weren't too bad. Everything falls pretty quick to Suplex+Shadow Attacks. Sabin and Shadow were level 9 entering the camp.

Thanks to forewarning I swapped Sabin's Spirit Claws out for Mythril before fighting Telstar. I opened with Pummel, and everything was fine until the soldiers showed up and knocked Shadow down to the dirt. Luckily, that was when Sap decided to kill Telstar and a Phoenix Down, Interceptor and 200 GP worth of split target damage got the fight over with everyone alive. For now, Shadow gets the Power Glove.

Alrighty, a little gear swapping sees Shadow still rocking Black Belt/Power Glove, Cyan makes an interesting fashion choice with a White Cape/Knight's Cape combo, Sabin got the Green Beret and The Safety Gloves/Goggles. Phantom Forest/Train encounters honestly feel bland without the Wight's using Blaze on death. Oh well, I assume that was deemed too brutal. The Ghost Merchant is just different enough to stand out, I like it. Picked up 10 Remedies and a Ghost Ring. Just over 3k in the coffer now. At the pre-Soul Train Save, Sabin is level eleven and his sidekicks are both level ten.

Put a Ghost Ring on Cyan for Soul Train. 3 Mindblows and some Dried Meat later and the Soul Train was no longer feeling pain (because I killed him). At the Fall, Shadow gives his Power Glove to Sabin and his Black Belt to Cyan, who also laces up his spiffy new Sprint Shoes. Same levels for Rizopas as for Soul Train. Sabin got worn down by the Pirahnas and end up at 3 HP when Rizopas showed up and El Nino'd. Cyan Empowerer'd ASAP and then they both threw Dried Meat at Sabin. Then it was Spirit Claw attacks and Dispatch for a couple rounds and he was down. 

Recruited Gau. I just gave him Storm Belt/Magic Cube for now. Hunted Rages and got a Life Bell. Now Gau has Sprint Shoes/Magic Cube in back row. Sabin has Power Glove/Black Belt. Cyan has Life Bell/Knight's Cape. I'm gonna hunt some more Rages cuz I want to actually use Gau for once...

Gau's Exploder is not functioning as intended.

deadgau.png

usingbomb.png

BOOM.png

Further notes on Exploder: Used it against 3 Stray Cats and it correctly hit just the enemy and Gau. Then against 2 Liches and a Sewer Rat all by itself and it continued to work fine...

One last note: I got the same encounter and started Raging Bomb against the same enemy and it behaved as normal. Still no multiplier on the damage though...

Really last note, at least on Exploder: Exploder derps if it's number of targets becomes 1 after it's queued. I'm pretty sure.

Edited by ff7hero
Sei jinxed me...

Few new bugs to report

While fighting number 128 gau somehow lost the auto-haste and auto-regen he had from his relics (i think when he died, i wasn't paying attention) and i actually summoned kirin and he still didn't have regen on him.

Also the encounter rate skyrocketed after the mine carts, i'm getting a fight every two or three steps in vector now.

On a side note: IMTRF is definitely the best part of WoB so far, it's challenging and a few of the bosses are even kind of brutal, especially 128 with that net.

8 hours ago, Deschain said:

Not sure if a bug, but when you kill the Bombs in the burning house with a sweeper, they die one by one, which is kind of neat the first time, but mildly annoying the 10th time you sweep six of them
(What kind of sweeper? Aqualung OHKOs them and they won't explode if you take them down to 0 HP)

Meaning they just die one at a time.  Nothing to do with whether they explode or not.  When OHKO'd they will die one at a time instead of all at the same time.

It did this in 1.9 as well, nothing new.

51 minutes ago, JohnFuklaw said:

[...] i actually summoned kirin and he still didn't have regen on him.

This would need more clarification, because depending on the order of events it's vanilla behaviour.  When you confirm skills that target everything, the game only targets the currently alive, valid targets.  If gau was dead when you confirmed the Kirin summon, and was then revived, he would not have been one of the "targets" of the summon.

The encounter rate spike after the minecart is a mystery bug that's been around for several versions of BNW.

Intro through Sealed Cave (RC-18) -- selected notes

Balance
Shiva/Ifrit did not use much Fire 3 and Ice 3, though they were scary nonetheless.
Ultros 2 was no problem (Locke/Sabin/Edgar)

Maybe Bugs
Haste status has close to no effect on ATB speed. I don’t recall if it was this useless in 1.9.
(It hasn't changed since 1.9, but it is different from vanilla - the nATB system makes even small changes to speed very pronounced)
(By the way... if you get a chance, would you mind having a look at the aura cycling code? We're trying to figure out why Haste still shows up there.)

It’s probably just bad luck, but the Soldier rage seems like ⅔ attack, ⅓ Cure 2

(It's bad luck)

In IMTRF, I had imp-ed a Templar. He cast Remedy on himself, and his sprite stayed as an Imp
(Well, fuck. I'll add a note for everyone to test this out more thoroughly)

If Scan’s initial target dies before casting, it does not re-target the next enemy. Is this intended?
(Yeah, status spells on the whole don't retarget on death. It was that way in vanilla, too.)

Looks like if the Healing Shiv’s target dies before attack, it re-targets an enemy, rather than a PC
(This I'm not sure is fixable. Worth mentioning as a known issue.)

No death animation or fanfare or anything happened at the end of the Cranes battle
(Yeah, it just ends like the Tritoch battle does. I'd like to figure out a good way to indicate death on the Cranes, but that will take AI space that I don't have)

When Jumping with dual-wielding Edgar, only one weapon attacks (is this expected behavior?)
(Jumping and DW do not mix. Don't do that.)

Edited by BTB

Intangir's mid battle switch can crash the game. I don't know exactly what I did here, but maybe I panned up into the Esper menu during the short pause between phases and this caused a crash. Details here: www.twitch.tv/cecil188/clip/WanderingSlickRadicchio4Head

Some more notes on my playthrough of RC-18 (up to the Sealed Cave)

Battle Balance

Cave to S Figaro (1): Terra wipes everything with MT Fire before any enemy behavior is seen.
Mt Koltz: Trilium bane counters are great. Area feels dangerous, enemies are interesting.
Lete River: Autocrossbow + Suplex take out everything very quickly
Cave to S Figaro (2): Celes MT Ice wipes everything except for Bears
Phantom Train: Shadow MT Shuriken w/ Power Glove wipes most enemy packs. Conjurer's Dark spell is a one-hit kill for any PC not at MaxHP
Zozo: Dadaluma’s Slim Jim usage seemed more fair. Gau seems like a huge detriment on the team for this fight, unless he has the Conjurer rage (which is still not very reliable).
IMTRF: Things are starting to get more difficult (a good thing). The holy immunity of many enemies here makes Sabin a lot less appealing.

Money Balance

S Figaro (1): I had 9000 GP, enough to buy whatever I wanted (except the dragoon relic)
Narshe (after Kefka): I had just enough GP to equip Sabin/Edgar/Cyan/Gau (including Tools)
Jidoor: Only enough GP for 3 or 4 new items (note: I took the Chocobo from Colosseum guy)
Post-Zozo: Still not enough GP for most upgrades, even after walking to Kohlingen and back. Buying Golem or Zoneseek is out of the question.
Tzen/Miranda: Not enough GP for upgrades. I’m selling Phoenix Downs and TInctures to buy some new armor (note: I took the Chocobo from Tzen to Miranda, but I walked back to Vector)
Pre-Sealed Cave: Just enough GP to buy Golem and Seraph. Sold some more items for Zoneseek. No GP left over for upgrades in Narshe (or Tzen, Miranda).

Maybe Bugs

I think I recall BTB mentioning that the Mt Koltz guard during Locke’s scenario had a joke dialogue, but in my game he says “The empire has taken control here”
Nevermind, I found the joke. Was looking in the wrong place.

Pincer Attacks

I saw the already-reported Buzzard/RedWolf(2) outside Kohlingen.
In Zozo, the Hobo/Junkie(3) pincer fit on the screen, but the right-most Junkie was close enough to the edge that stealing from him placed Shadow off the screen. I can add a screenshot later tonight. Edit: I was wrong about the enemy pack. I added a screenshot of the formation below.

Some Checklist Items

Shop preview hack looks great, it’s my favorite new feature by far
Spell dots look great too, and they seem to display when appropriate
Can confirm Safety Glove procs Safe on critical HP
I saw at least one enemy counter a counterattack
At least some bosses have rewarded Exp (I did not monitor all bosses carefully, though)
Hints about beating bosses -- I thought I saw an NPC suggest that I deplete MP for MagiMaster (or I could be crazy). I took that approach, which seemed to prolong the battle rather than make it easier.

(Are you sure you mean MagiMaster and not 024?)
Whoops. Yeah, 024.

(The hint was that Dispel can make it reroll its weakness, not to MP mill it >.>)
I probably was just not paying enough attention. On a related note, my Celes did not have Dispel at all during the IMTRF. I didn't take her to Zozo, so she was only Lvl.10 when I went in. She learned Slow before 024.

Subjective Opinion

ATB Colors
The ATB colors seem wrong to me. Green mean “Go”, but it also means “Tranquil”. Red means “Stop”, or it means the speakers are turned up to 11. The following scheme would feel more natural to me:
Red (Hot) Haste, Blue (Cold) Slow, Pink or Yellow Stop

Esper Legend (unchanged from 1.9, I assume)
This is a small gripe about exposition, but to me, it weakens the mythology/themes of the game in a significant way. Ramuh, when describing the War of the Magi, says the ancient magic-infused human soldiers are now known as "MagiTek". This seems to suggest that MagiTek isn't a new development, but is just a resurrection of ancient power. I always thought of MagiTek as part of the industrialization of the world, something very recent, and due entirely to Cid's genius. The ancient war of the Magi would not have included modern technology or science -- more likely, the war would have precipitated when ancient humans discovered Magicite itself, and used it the same way the player does.

BraveNewBetaPincerZozo.png

Edited by Bropedio
Add pincer screenshot

Here's my thoughts from another chunk of the game.

Spoiler

3/4/2019 0930-1400
Serpent Trench to Zozo Start

Sabin's lines when you find the diving helmet might have been the moment I fell in love with BNW. The bit where Sabin tells Cyan that the helmet will help him breath and Cyan protests that there are three of them. Sabin: "I'll be good. I've had training...can't [Gau] just act like he's a fish or something?"

Anyway, in the Trench the battles were pretty much Dispatch/Suplex city for Cyan/Sabin, Antlion from Gau was a nice compliment to that. Got to Nikeah with over 25K GP. Bought 5 Bandanas to have 8, 2 Poison Claws, a Kotetsu and a Dragoon Seal. leaving me with 15k GP.

The bartender in Nikeah is missing a period from his caption.

As I board the ship for South Figaro, Sabin is level 12, Cyan is level 10 and Gau is level 9.

On team "Charge at Kefka and Steal his Shit" is Locke (Iron Cutlass/Buckler/Bandana/Karate Gi in the front row with Knight Cape/Life Bell), Celes (Iron Cutlass/Buckler/Banadana/Cotton Robe/Safety Glove/Black Belt), Edgar (Iron Cutlass/Buckler/Bandana/Hard Leather/Power Glove/Goggles) and Gau (Buckler/Green Beret/Karate Gi/Sprint Shoes/Magic Cube).
Levelwise, almost everyone is 9 except Sabin at 12 and Cyan at 10. 

Managed to ninja through and only fight 2 randoms before Thanatos. Autocrossbow+Crawler rage obliterated them though. Thanatos was taken care of by Autocrossbow/Stray Cat plus some Ice and Butterfly pokes. I like how Polarity pulls characters out of the protection of Cover now. Very cool dynamic.

Kefka was pretty much the same thing it's been since I learned the Stealing trick. Celes Runic, Locke Steal, others Defend or throw Meat as necessary. I don't think Gau has a non-Magic healing Rage at this point, which is probably for the best.

On my trip to Zozo, I pick Gau, Cyan and Locke, obviously planning to just shortman the whole segment. When Edgar gives his speech that includes talking to Arvis for your gear, maybe he can hint at being able to get Shadow in Kohlingen?

Bought 2 Full Moons and 10 Butterflies, leaving over 11k in my Coffers. I skipped buying anything in Figaro Castle, not having Edgar there was nice. Then I recruited Shadow and said goodbye to some of that. He got Locke's Power Glove/Black Belt and Locke got a Safety Glove/Talisman. Bought 2 more Green Berets here too and put them on Locke/Shadow, as well as 2 Targes. On the beginning of my Western Continent trek, my party is level 10. I continue to use melee attacks on Mandrake because I'm a genius. In Jidoor I picked up 3 Ninja Gears, a Kunai and a Kusatigama. Then I bought 25 Phoenix Downs and headed for Zozo with 173 GP in my pocket. At this point Cyan has hit Level 12, and the rest of my party is still 10. 

First few combats in Zozo were tricky, but that was mostly a matter of trying to Steal from everything. Gau went with Soldier until I got my first Shiv, at which point Shadow picked it up and moved to the back row. Headed back outside to save and take a break.

On 3/3/2019 at 5:36 PM, JohnFuklaw said:

Also the encounter rate skyrocketed after the mine carts, i'm getting a fight every two or three steps in vector now.

This happened in 1.9, maybe earlier too. Usually it's an encounter every step though, until eventually you reach a tile where it goes back to normal.

Finally got Espers.

Spoiler

3/4/2019 1530-1630
Zozo to Esper Get

Randoms were pretty rough, put I had a squishyish party. I never wiped, but I went through quite a few P Downs and Meats. By the time I hit Dadalama, Cyan was Level 14, Locke was 13, and Shadow and Gau were both 12. Cyan and Shadow were in the front row. Cyan had Kotetsu/Bandana/Hard Leather/Knight Cape/Life Bell. Shadow had Kusarigama/Butterfly/Green Beret/Karate Gi/Power Glove/Black Belt. Gau had Targe/Green Beret/Ninja Gear/Sprint Shoes/Magic Cube and Locke was rocking Healing Shiv/Buckler/Green Beret/Ninja Gear/Talisman/White Cape.

Got super lucky with Kusarigama hitting Net right away, and then Gau's first action in Conjuror was Frazzle for Sap. Then I had Shadow move to the back to throw Butterflies. Spoon did 405 to Locke here. I never saw the Slim Jim/Jump combo, Butterflies and Dispatch were both hitting for about 1200 while Locke spot healed and Gau made sure Cyan had Rerise.

Brought Cyan and Edgar along to IMTRF. Then I totally ran from a bunch of randoms on the way back to Nikeah/Figaro Castle. 

Bought two more Targes (I really only bought one initially apparently) and 3 Mythril Vests as well as the Bio Blaster and Drill, leaving me with 117 GP. Then I realized I'd need Golem ASAP for this party... Oh well, I was going to XP off to test Bio Blaster in Zozo. I'm gonna throw this up and try to compile a more concise/sorted set of playtest notes for the run up to Zozo.

It's probably a minor issue for the strange looking pincer formations, but here's one I ran into.

Pincer.png

(These are the kinds of things I'm after. Will fix.)

Edited by BTB

RC19: Stray is healing living party members but isn't doing anything to dead ones
(Added to buglist)

Edited by BTB

Confirming Deschain's reports about Stray. Heals the living, no visible effect on the dead.

And that was totally it. Nothing to see here, move along. 

Edited by ff7hero
I'm dumb

RC19 - Level 10 on both Sabin and Shadow. See the video I linked in Discord for my stats and items.

Had a fun fight against the 2x Templar, 2x Soldier pack at the end of the 'chase Kefka' sequence in Imperial Camp. I threw a total of five multi-target Shuriken against the pack and, while the two Templar died in one shot each, the Soldiers stayed alive. Even with Sabin using three Pummels, I was only able to kill one of the two remaining Soldiers before my evasion gave out and the party wiped. I was able to survive the fight a grand total of once out of five attempts, and only because Shadow was able to perfect dodge/get enough Interceptor procs.

I tested this fight on RC18 and was able to clear the encounter with a single Shuriken throw, so whatever is weird is specifically so in RC19.

Edited by Wrath
Added a minor clarification I thought of after the fact.

During the Number 024 fight, Dispel didn't appear to make him wall change (he never countered Dispel with Wall Change, and he would sometimes attack once or twice before eventually Wall Changing), which folks in Discord are saying is a bug.

This was on RC19

(Well, shit... I flat-out forgot to include that in his script. I'll fix it for RC-20)

Edited by BTB

An update about the Grenades slow death, it looks like this occurs because they died to a water/ice attacks.

I saw the same thing happen when I killed some Bombs with Aqualung during a rage/lore/dance grind, and I remembered them not dying slowly when I killed them with multi-target Shurikens.  So I tested if a Gau's Sandstorm would cause them to die slowly, and it did not.

https://discordapp.com/channels/160240476883124225/160253567012306945/552542277541822511

Taking a glance at the battle script for Bombs and Grenades, I see that there's a check to see if Bombs where attacked by water/ice, which sets a flag.  I suspect that killing them with a water/ice attack causes them flag to be set one by one, which prevents them from dying simultaneously.

(Assuming you're correct, then adding a conditional to check if they're alive before setting the flag should fix that.
UNFORTUNATELY... making this same concession for every possible instance of this will take up way more space than I have, so we can only address the most egregious cases.)

Edited by BTB

A few minor or nitpicky things, most of which probably aren't worth addressing:

Spoiler

If a character finishes an action while another character is selecting a target for a spell/attack, the ATB gauge of the character that just acted will still be full.  I'm guessing this is behavior left over from vanilla that might be a bitch to change, and wouldn't be worth the effort (I only noticed it because I paused the game in this state to go take a dump, and when I came back I was confused as to why my guy's ATB suddenly emptied)

I think I lost the inherent Haste of Sprint Shoes during the Ultros 2 fight, but I'm too lazy to confirm, given all the random bullshit that leads up to that fight.  I think I noticed this in RC17 or 18 too, so this could have just been due to some bug that was already fixed

There's a formation of 6 Wasps in desert south-east of Vector can be easily one-shotted with fire dance for 300 exp, while most other formations on the southern continent and inside the IMTRF are harder and only give ~100 exp.  This seems sort of counter to BNWs "no grinding necessary" ethos and I'm guessing it's unintended, since players might assume that the mods meant for the dessert to be a special area to hang out and grind for easy fast exp.  The formation with the two boner dragons in that desert can also be one-shotted with fire-dance (though they only give 125 exp).

The Life spells seems a bit OP in early levels (it's effectively Life2 when you've only got 300-600hp), but maybe that's working as intended?  Once I got Kirin and learned it, I felt waaay less agita about letting my chars die, since I could now revive them to near full health for only 15mp, as opposed to having to coordinate a quick chain of PhoenixDown + 1 or 2 cures/meats.

During the Crane fight (after IMTRF) I ended up attacking my own dudes a couple times because of the lack of explicit death animations (e.i. single-target cursor would be on the right crane, I'd want to target the left crane not realizing it was dead, so I'd quickly tap left twice and hit A, and then be like fuuuuuck).

EDIT: Disregard this one, my stupid ass didn't realize this is how the menu's look in vanilla FF3.  The classic Final Fantasy window (number 8 in the config menu) is light-blue outside of the rounded corners.  If the second-to-last color in the config menu is changed to black, then it looks more like how it does in vanilla.  It's easy enough to change, but new players who want the classic FF window might not want to be bothered figuring out how to change it, so maybe it'd be better to have it be this way by default?

Edited by mewannabetatest