Sign in to follow this  
mewannabetatest

Tool to make a patching webpage

2 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, I've been working on a tool to help SNES mod makers make automatic patching webpages which make it easier for folks to play your mod.

You load a ROM and an IPS file into the tool, and it generates the files for a webpage where a player can go, load their vanilla ROM, and the page gives them a patched ROM.  If their ROM has a header, it's removed (or if your patch requires a header, it'll add one).  If you have IPS files for multiple versions of a game you can add them all, and the webpage will automatically detect the version of the ROM they've loaded and apply the appropriate patch (and if there are versions you don't have IPS files for, you can set it so it'll give an error telling them what version they have and what version they need).  It also does a checksum after applying the patch, to make sure nothing went wrong, so they don't end up trying to play a buggy patch.

There's also a little how-to for getting the generated webpage online, for anyone who doesn't have a website or knows nothing about web development.  Here's a link:

https://elforko.github.io/generator/

If you try it out, please let me know how the experience goes and if you have any feedback or suggestions.  Thanks!

This sounds very cool. It could get more people to play snes mods, especially outsiders who don't really know about romhacking, patching, headers and the like. Personally I'm not involved in snes hacking, but it's a sleek idea nonetheless.