Sign in to follow this  
Kade

Just had to say thanks

13 posts in this topic

Just wanted to thank Praetarius for his fantastic work on this hack.

I have been obsessed with SD3 for as long as I could remember, and after trying to make it more difficult by doing 1 character challenges, picking idiotic class combos, and just wishing some of the mechanics could be fixed and then you go and release this beauty. It's kind of sad how much this fix/balance/difficulty boost means to me after wishing for it for so long.

Well, before this gets weird I just wanted to say thanks.

Edit: I'll try to make this an actual discussion...

What has been people's favorite overall character/class? I personally seem to always go back to Duran, probably just because I like most his classes and I feel awesome in the beginning with him. Before this hack I would always use him to do the running double hit and now I just run around swinging my sword around like a madman, it's liberating.

Edited by Kade

I'm totally with you; I've been playing this mod obsessively since I found it almost a year ago.

In this version, my favorite character and class are Angela and Grand Divina. Angela because she rains holy hell (and is much more usable because of the revised counter mechanic) and has good variety in her final classes in terms of magic damage type and even sabre, stat, and recovery/support spells. Grand Divina because 1) she gets the six major elements for multi-target damage and spell upgrades, 2) she keeps these as Level 1 spells which have the best damage/MP efficiency, are the fastest (she can cast multiple damage spells in the same time her other classes can cast one), and have my favorite animations, 3) she can cast these as sabres (with her final weapon, though she can't cast them on the enemy), 4) she gets Heal Light and Tinkle Rain (multi-target with a Whitelight Ring, but still confer their major benefits as single-target if you want to preserve the accessory slot), 5) she gets the highest net INT/SPI scores for powerful magic and healing, 6) she has the best sub-screen pose, and 7) with her silver hair, she looks kind of like Danaerys Targaryen (for GOT fans; I name her Dany).

Edited by rpschamp

Since I only done 2 playthroughs (one of which I haven't finish yet) it's hard to say which class would be my favorite, but I would say Lise's Light classes are arguably the best these are the only classes that get access to all 4 main buffs Vanadis get also one of the best LV3 Tech in the game, Heal Light and Tinkle Rain while Star Lancer gets Aura Wave and Energy Ball 2 usefull offensive buffs and Marduke a very usefull AoE that can set Silence, really hard to find a situation where Light Lise isn't usefull and/or can entirely be replace.

Other than Lise I had a ton of fun with Angela usually I like Mages in RPG mainly because of their versatility (which generally makes for a fun gameplay), Angela is without a doubt the best mob cleaner in the game especially her Light Classes since she can exploit all Element with them and each of her classes feels usefull in their respective way, Grand Divina for all rpgchamp said, Arch Mage brings Power Down, Mind Down, Body Change and Anti-Magic all very usefull debuffs spells and Aura Wave for offense, Rune Master brings the 4 main Sabers and the LV3 Spells which are very good for Mob fights (lot of Damage + Statut Effects) which she can make AoE and Magus can exploit all element save for Holy, has a powerfull Non-Elemental Nuke, Power Up, Mind Up, Lunatic all good stuff.

"rps"champ not "rpg", from rock-paper-scissors haha (does anyone remember Xenogears?)

I agree on Light Lise, especially Star Lancer with Marduke; she was a close second for me. It's tough to get even just Protect Up and Mind Up together without her. I want to give Dark Lise a chance but haven't thought of any really interesting groups to go for yet. My favorite team so far has been Nightblade, Star Lancer, and Grand Divina; incredibly versatile with both magical and physical damage once you hit the second class change, with the defensive buffs to cover your butt when you need them.

One group I thought for Dark Lise that I wish to try was :

-Lise as Dragon Master
-Kevin as Warrior Monk
-Carlie as Bishop

You get Def Up, Power Up and Mind up with Kevin and Carlie, the Sabers and Tinkle Rain with Carlie, 2 Heal Light users, all debuff, Anti-Magic and Lunatic with Lise.

There is also the Lord, Dragon Master and Magus set up but the lack of saber Spell worrying me a bit.

Edited by Nesouk

These are good ideas, but I would combine them and run Dragon Master, Magus, and Bishop. Then you get five sabers, all the stat downs and the three most important stat ups, all the level 2 attack spells, and two good melee fighters once Bishop gets her final weapon. Now that Lise gets shields to draw the fight away from the casters, this group becomes more manageable.

Another interesting option here would be to change up the final classes and go Dragon Master, Rune Master, and Sage. This would give you Life Booster instead of Def Up, passive heal instead of another attacker, Leaf Saber instead of Saint Saber, and more magic firepower with multi-target Saint Beam and Dark Force as well as status-inflicting multi-target Level 3 spells. You would have some redundancy on the elemental sabers, but there are so many other options here (and no redundancy on Lunatic) that it almost doesn't matter, plus Sage would not be dependent on Whitelight Ring. Stock up on Def Up seeds if you really need the boost; this should not be a problem money-wise once you hit mid-game. I really can't think of another magic-based team that would kill it harder than this.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've been looking to run a girl power team; I may give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

Edited by rpschamp

Hmmm... Dragon Master, Rune Master and Sage looks nice however the lack of Def Up worries me a bit on the highest difficulty, as in my playthrough with Swordmaster, Warrior Monk and Arch Mage the lack of Def Up really make a huge difference for the God Beasts, so I'd rather take Bishop for that plus Bishop isn't dependant of Whitelight Ring either in my Star Lancer, Ninja Master and Bishop team the only time I used Whitelight Ring on Bishop was against the Darkness God Beast to cast Saint Saber on everyone didn't need it otherwise.

Also for Girl team power the idea cross my mind to but more with Light class Lise something like : Vanadis, Rune Master, Necromancer.

I think you are right, that Def Up is really important. Even on normal difficulty, some of the high damage fights like Bill and Ben would be difficult without it, especially if you are running Beastman Collars. Evil Shaman could work for that last team too if you want to go for Anti-Magic.

Honnestly some players are making a huge deal of Anti-Magic, while I can't deny it's good, it really isn't a deal breaker unlike the lack of Def Up Ninja Master, Star Lancer and Bishop didn't have it yet I only really need it for like 3 or 4 bosses on the highest difficulty which I could perfectly by some Spectral Eyes (it's entirely different that having to buy at least 3 Bullette's Scale for each bosses -_- or even 12 for 1 boss (fuck you Dangaard and your 4 phases)).

I usually just silence Dangaard; I suppose some would consider this unethical, but he's the only boss with four phases which itself could be considered an ethical breach, so I make the exception. Plus I like to get at him early loaded up with Beastman Collars for that massive gold gain, so I can get at the Cats equipment before I face the other God Beasts.

Def Up is definitely more important than Anti-Magic under most circumstances. But aside from Anti-Magic, Evil Shaman also has some nice crowd control spells that might be worth giving up the Speed Down and Protect Down, the two stat debuffs that this team needs the least.

Edited by rpschamp

1 hour ago, rpschamp said:

I usually just silence Dangaard; I suppose some would consider this unethical

seriously, what do you think why I added that?

2 hours ago, rpschamp said:

I usually just silence Dangaard; I suppose some would consider this unethical, but he's the only boss with four phases which itself could be considered an ethical breach, so I make the exception. Plus I like to get at him early loaded up with Beastman Collars for that massive gold gain, so I can get at the Cats equipment before I face the other God Beasts.

Def Up is definitely more important than Anti-Magic under most circumstances. But aside from Anti-Magic, Evil Shaman also has some nice crowd control spells that might be worth giving up the Speed Down and Protect Down, the two stat debuffs that this team needs the least.

Well Yeah he can be cheese by silencing him, I just don't like cheesing bosses not that much at least, tough I might do it in future playthrough cause admitadly Dangaard is more of an annoying boss than anything else.
Well for AoE Necromancer has Black Rain (which she can buff herself with Dark Saber), it's learn by boosting Agility (which is a good stat for Carlie anyway since it reduce her cast time), still has Holy Ball and also Half Vanish which is good for high HP ennemies (especially some these knight bastard that generally have a lot of HP and no weaknesses), Evil Shaman does have both Anti-Magic and Def Up as well as Lunatic, Ghost Road and Demon breath I feel that yeah on paper Evil Shaman is better but I want to give a shot to Necromancer.

Old thread but I'd also like thank Praetorius as well.

It's one of my favorite games ever and with the remake incoming, I felt like dabbing in it for old time's sake. Glad to see there are still plenty of fans around.