Hordequester

Site's Video page functionality

7 posts in this topic

Been working on putting my videos up in the Video tab of the website. I noticed one issue and can't figure out another:

1. When you edit an existing video, the site does not keep your video's URL intact.. it blanks it out every time and you have to put it back in again.

2. The "Add Extra Video?" section is quite confusing.. it just says "Key" and "Value" with no explanation. I figured out that Key is the title I guess as the button it adds to the video has a label matching whatever is typed in Key. But, no matter what I type in Value, it never does anything. I tried Youtube v=xxx, xxx, http://etcetc=xxx and even values from already linked videos. What the heck am I supposed to type here? Issue #1 makes trying to test it even more tedious.. heh. The little note below it says Enter the title and url but yeah it doesn't take urls.

I'll keep playing with it and try to figure it out in the meantime. I added every method of posting a video I could think of to the extra video section with labels of the type tested here

Edited by Hordequester

What is it that you wish to do? Add a playlist of videos, or extra/related content?

For extra/related content, we'd have to look into what you just described above. 

To just have a playlist, just use the link to the youtube-playlist, and it will be available on ng+ as well. Then you also don't need to update the video section as you update the playlist on youtube. What would do is just post a comment saying a new one has arrived, or something such.

Regardless, we should look into making that section more user friendly.

I was planning to add videos to it as I finished encoding them.. I liked how it does the tabs under the video to jump to different parts. Linking a playlist would work just unfortunate that Extra Videos part is non-functional as it's a nice feature in concept.

Update: Ok so I tried linking a playlist instead of a video. It just plays the first video in the list and stops. These all seem like relatively easy fixes with just some simple variable mistakes. Hope you guys can find the time to take a look.

Edited by Hordequester

I recall having a bit of trouble putting up videos via playlist last week.  By which I mean, it took me several tries to get it right (playlist rather than video).  I forget exactly what my difficulty was.

I'm playing around with a test thread to try out the "extra video" functionality.  I can't get it to work ... will keep playing around.

Edit:
Here's what I know:
When you turn on "Extra videos", whatever title ("key") you give them, each "extra" video links to "videos/threadname/&extra=0" and then "videos/threadname/&extra=1".  Whatever that means.

As we figure this out, we should probably make an FAQ/sticky for future first-time video posters.  Helpful hints might include the following:
To add a playlist (not just a single video), without using the "extra video" feature, do this: 

• Under "Media URL" enter the URL of the playlist, without any reference to the specific video!

So if you want to add a playlist, what you enter under "Media URL" should look something like this "https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnHpnycN1aVf3I5VVBVFvyAwf6LW16tiJ" not this "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47sNva0O_6Q&list=PLnHpnycN1aVf3I5VVBVFvyAwf6LW16tiJ&index=1" or this "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47sNva0O_6Q&list=PLnHpnycN1aVf3I5VVBVFvyAwf6LW16tiJ".

Edited by Bishop

(With apologies for double-post)

Horde:

If I could figure out how to (ab)use my Mod powers, I would just edit your video thread directly, but since I can't, here's what you can do to change this from a *video* embed to a *playlist* embed:

Under "Media URL" remove the reference to any individual video and replace it with:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWVfQzx9dUA6_KVdLtlEf4w7L951q68mO

That will link to the playlist, which means that when you back-add the older episodes to the playlist it will automatically begin with them.

I think.  

I still have no idea how the "extra videos" functionality works ... though it sounds cool.

Thank you. I figured that might be what was wrong with the playlist. It sees the v= and just parses that instead of grabbing the list=. Just ran out of patience playing with it to test it further lol. Most likely what is wrong with extra is that it's loading the main url variable instead of whatever we put in Value. extra=x is obviously reading correctly or it wouldn't know the Key (title) to display. I'm sure the not saving the main video url during edit is simply a missing or typoed variable in the default text= part of the input for the form.

It'll definitely be a cool feature if they get it working. Just really need to change the text Key and Value to something more meaningful like Title and Url then fix the variable errors.

Updated the video to be a playlist for now.. thanks.

Edited by Hordequester

More (failed) test results:

Putting in the "Extra value" field a) a full URL, b) the v=? value of a YouTube video or c) the index number of a video within the playlist of the "Media URL" each produces the same result: zilch.

Further observation: When you go to edit a video page, an example "Media URL" is given as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4i5ECWblo.  It's not a link, just an unhighlightable piece of text to tell you what a URL looks like.  You can't click on this, but have to type it in to see what video it's not-linking to.  Clearly, this is an amazing opportunity for an embedded Rick Roll.