BTB

Community Outreach: Darknil AKA "Dee_Ehn"

19 posts in this topic

As many of you are now aware, one of our own is currently going through some rough times. He has lost his home and is currently living in a shelter in his hometown of Hot Springs, Arkansas trying to find his way to Seattle where he can try to get back on his feet. Our good friend Madsiur of FF6hacking has graciously allowed us to use his Paypal donation system to help arrange for an outreach of our two communities to help D on his way.

If you are able to help and wish to do so, we are very grateful: (donations closed - thank you all for donating!)

I understand that many of us are strapped for cash in these tough times, but at the very least a kind word will go a long way right now.

Thank you all for being such a great community.

-BTB

Edited by BTB

Dn is a cool dude. I'm glad to have the chance to help give him a shot. I don't want to see anybody become go homeless. I have the means to, so I have helped. I also don't want to see anyone give more than they are responsibly able to. If you can give, give. If you can't or don't want to, your kind words can help give support in someone's time of need.

Greetings from Germany, save the cancer, kill the animals

Sent some money over that way, it isn't a lot but a fiver still means five less for someone else and five more for dn.

Sent some cash that way.. for the horde. Or well I guess from it in this case. Having previously been homeless and living in a shelter.. I can relate.

Edited by Hordequester

Thank you BTB, I'm happy to see such support from everyone.

As the coordinator of this effort, I want anyone considering making a donation to know that all of the money donated will go towards giving DN a head start on his effort to make a new life for himself. The idea is that this small gift will be a show of support in troubling times and ignite hope where things may feel hopeless.

I'm keenly aware that cyberbegging and online scams are a thing, and I want to make it clear to anyone who is considering making a donation, but who feel wary of such issues, that we will not be handing over cash. The money will go towards a bus or plane ticket first and foremost, to get DN to a safe place where he'll have the best opportunity to start a new life. Any money left over after that will be used to buy the necessities of life, such as food, clothes, hygiene products, a prepaid phone card, etc. It is unfortunate this is the way this must be handled, because everyone needs money, but I want to make sure everyone feels comfortable with donating.

To that end, I encourage all donations, whether they be anonymous or not, however big or small. Everyone's financial situation is different and we all have different priorities. Nobody will judge you on the size of your donation. Even just a few words of encouragement is helpful to someone in DN's situation.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you for your support!

A silly coincident, but I was living as a homeless (which is a big difference -- I had a home to get back to in Sweden, so not making a comparison here) while traveling around the states for a while, and managed to hitch a ride from Arkansas to Seattle (in a re-purposed police car). The story is a lot longer, but this thread is not about me.

Anyway, sent in a small donation. Best of luck, D!

I just want to say how proud I am of this community right now. Seeing how quickly we all came together to help out one of our own in need really makes me proud to call myself a part of this place.

Helped as well. Can't say I've talked much to him, but that's not a deterrent to help someone in need, especially considering I regard him as a very important part of this community, and I'm sure he's also seen that way here and in other communities. Stay safe, dn, with both our support and your wit I'm sure things will be alright.

Thanks to everyone from NG+ who gave something. We'll accept donation for dn even after Sunday but in this case please specify somehow it is for dn because the official donation period on our forum is until Sunday and after this I won't be able to separate really if not specified donations to our site from donations to dn. You can see the total given by both communities here: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=3488

Hello folks, I just wanted to drop in with an update on the situation.

Today, friday, dn will hopefully be arriving without issue in Seattle. I've made reservations for him at a shelter for the night - after tonight he'll be able to make his own reservations, and with the help of a friend, make himself acquainted with the various shelters and services for the homeless that King County has to offer.

The donation drive has been a huge success! So far we've raised around $557 (Madsiur can update us on the exact numbers), enough for our two goals of purchasing a bus ticket to Seattle and a care package for dn once he gets there.

A rather large part of the donations ($348.75) have been used to order a big box o' necessities off of Amazon. The order has been shipped and will be delivered sometime during the weekend, to Kjata who has graciously agreed to deliver it to dn in downtown Seattle as soon as possible. I won't list the entire contents of the shipment, but rest assured that it contains a significant portion of what a person on the streets could conceivably need and still be able to carry on his back, including the backpack itself. Amongst the goodies are a prepaid phone, basic medical and hygienic supplies, a repair kit, clothes, and some other useful odds and ends.

Most of the remaining funds will help pay for dn's bus ticket to Seattle. Please note that dn fronted the ticket cost himself with his last cash reserves, and that the vast majority of remaining funds comes from a single large donation. The donor has agreed to let us wire the entirety of this donation as a cash reimbursement for dn. Any remaining funds after that will go towards covering PayPal fees, and if there's anything left after that, I'll take suggestions. My own suggestion is that we donate it to the shelter in Hot Springs, AR, that took dn in after he lost his home.

We will continue accepting donations for dn up to and including Sunday, on the FF6hacking PayPal. If you want to make a donation, but am unable to until after Sunday, Madsiur will still accept donations for dn if you label your payment "for dn". Please note that any donations sent after today will be wired to dn in cash, since we have already reached our goal of paying for a care package and the bus ticket to Seattle.

Thank you so much for your kind support, everyone! I'm proud to be part of this community.

EDIT: Here's a link to Madsiur's post on FF6hacking with details on donations.

Edited by seibaby

Hey guys! Lily here, providing some info about what's going on with the Care package!

(FAQ styling to follow)

Did you guys actually buy the stuff?
Yes we did and I have included a redacted screenshot of the order confirmation.

Where's the Stuff? 
The first of several packages for D arrived at Kjata's place today!

What IS the stuff?
The care package includes basic necessities D will need in order to get by (list includes but is not limited to: basic hygiene products, cleaning wipes, bandages, sunscreen, a hat, a rain coat, a bag to hold all of the stuff) and a way to make sure we can contact him and that he can make a call in case of emergency.

Ok cool, but how is the stuff getting to D?
As stated in Seibaby's earlier post, Kjata has been nice enough to agree to drop off the care package with D once the items arrive.

What else are we doing to help?
Seibaby and I have made and combed through a list of shelters in the Seattle area that can not only be a place for D to stay, but that also provide other services like meals, laundry services, health screening etc

What happens when D gets to Seattle?
Seibaby was able to make a reservation at a particular shelter and once D arrives (he should have already) in the city, he should be able to go there and be safe for the night. Once he is able to contact us and confirm that he's made it, he should also find an e-mail detailing the resources available to him.

What do we do now?
At this point, the best thing to is wait for confirmation that D has arrived and take things one step at a time. 

All THAT said;
Thank you all so much for your generous contributions and willingness to give back to your community! I am honored to have been allowed to help with this humanitarian mission and wish D the best of luck getting a fresh start in a new city. 

ngpluscapture.PNG

Glad to see you guys were able to get enough money put together.
Unfortunately I'm not in the position to do anything over the internet with money, otherwise I would've tossed a couple of bucks his way.

I don't really know the guy, but I still have respect for the work he does, especially for his more recent work on Brave New World.

Anyway, sad to hear that he's going through hard times, but I'm glad you guys got it worked out.

Fuckin awesome.  I'm glad to hear things are looking upwards for him.

Thank all of you for being good human beings.  They are too rare nowadays.