Swolnareff

Game Softlocks in Battle

6 posts in this topic

So I started the game up, and everything ran fine up until I get into a battle in the underworld. The battle screen boots up, but then nothing happens. Neither I nor the enemy can attack and the ATB never fills up. The overworld music is still playing and not the battle music (which I assume is intentional) and I can pause it, so the game doesn't crash. I'm using snes9x btw.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Someone else reported this issue to me recently while playing on a SD2SNES flash cart. However, I never ran into these issues during a test play or heard about this from anyone else before last week.

Which version of the ROM did you patch? Where did you get the patch from (here, RHDN, or elsewhere)?

I got the patch from here, and I've been using the compete 1.08 version. I've used the patch on an smc file of the game and a snes9x rom. The snes9x rom gives me the battle softlock, while the smc file doesn't even boot up properly (It booted up fine without the patch.)

Sounds like you may have patched the wrong version of the ROM. Try finding the version with the following hash:

No-Intro Name: Final Fantasy II (USA) (Rev 1)
(No-Intro version 20130701-030720)
ROM/File SHA-1: 41A74EB369A7A91815529EF99AB1B20E2BDF3E26
File name: Final Fantasy II (USA) (Rev A).sfc