Kain Stryder

FFVI T-Edition (LUA Translation) - v3.0.5 (2.9.7 (Costume Stats) Still Available) - 3/17/23

123 posts in this topic

After a 2.5 year long hiatus, Tsushiy has popped back and updated the mod to version 2.9.3 and 1.6.2 for EX.

We've gone ahead and added everything to the English version for this update already, and the update notes can be found in the history.html file. The following stuff is a rundown on what was added:

- Various bug fixes, including the item 255 ID bug (completely this time).

- Leveling up 2 or more times with 1 character in a battle was causing stat errors and has been fixed.

- Due to the above, Experience Egg has been readded to the mod. The 2 locations for it are a reward from a new battle on the Floating Continent and a treasure chest in the WoR's new tower area.

- A color cycling patch thanks to Leet Sketcher has been added, now cycling the colors of buffs/debuffs on your characters, allowing you to see Protect, Shell, Haste, etc all at once instead of just 1 color.

- Flare Star and Wave Cannon's effect values have been reduced from 45->42 and 88->77 respectively.

- Setzer's default outfit has been changed. With this, I've gone ahead and added his older sprite as an optional patch in the event people may prefer it over the new one. An image of the new sprite is below.

- Locke's default sprite has had a few dots corrected.

- Intangir's AP total has been changed.

- Numerous other things have been changed slightly or weren't documented by Tsushiy, so if we discover anything substantial, we'll make a note of it (things like if all achievement statues are unlocked, they now animate and pose).

Your old save files SHOULD work for 2.9.3, just make sure to rename your .srm file and make a back up before loading the emulator and always load a hard save, not a save state.

In other news, MSU-1 for the music should be available relatively soon, so when that happens I'll make a seperate forum post about it and the process to use it.

setzer2.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

1 hour ago, Dorothy said:

I check this thread constantly. You'd think the excitement would wane, but it hasn't.

Thanks! We're doing our best to keep this thing up-to-date and keep improving upon it. Glad you're enjoying it.

you guys are awesome!  I can tell you..i had a horrible time playing through T edition a few years ago in japanese.  i kind of guessed or memorized what the item names looked like.  T edition offered such quality of play, i'm looking forward to playing through it again!

We've discovered the cause of what we thought was just a random very rarely occurring bug that is currently persisting until further notice.

Basically, if you open a treasure chest or get an item with ID above 256: Hero's Ring, Guard Bracelet, Dead Spirit, Prayer Beads, Black Belt, Dragon Horn, Celestriad, Master's Scroll, Bacchus's Bracer, Safety Bit, Mime's Dictionary, Bracer, Tetra Elemental, Embroidered Tippet, Soul of Thamasa, Zeidrich, Flame Cape, Wind Corsage, Earth Greaves, Water Cuffs, Maiden's Prayer, Imp's Feelings, Piggy's Badge, Experience Egg

and don't open your menu after getting it, then enter a battle and win an item, it will result in you getting a garbage data item (with the lua warning you to toss/sell it asap to avoid glitches). We discovered this bug via a streamer doing a battle after picking up the Experience Egg (it can happen with any of the above items as we determined, it just happened to be with the egg when we found out) where the boss dropped its item as garbage data. With some testing by not getting the egg, he dropped his normal item. Getting the egg again and re-fighting the boss caused the glitch. Checking the memory when getting the Experience Egg before/after determined the bug.

I've reported this to Tsushiy so any fixes or updates will happen hopefully soon. In the meanwhile, just check your item inventory (opening the menu is enough) and you'll be fine.

Once more, simply just opening the menu screen will fix the issue as weird as it may sound. Failing to do so then entering a battle/winning an item will give a random item not intended, possibly even corrupted things.

Edited by Kain Stryder

Been Trying to Redownload this but the zip file wont open. Keeps giving me some archive error thing. Is that messed up on my end?

14 hours ago, Layoneil said:

Been Trying to Redownload this but the zip file wont open. Keeps giving me some archive error thing. Is that messed up on my end?

Works fine for me. Make sure you're using winzip or something similar to open it.

Ok, new update is up:

- Fake Dice have been renamed to FixdDice to avoid confusion.

- The glaring bug we were unable to pinpoint till recently that gave players garbage data as an item and the lua warns to sell asap if you obtained it, has been found and fixed. The issue was if any item with an ID of 256 or above was obtained from a treasure chest, and you didn't enter the menu afterwards, but instead fought a battle then won something, you'd get the garbage data that could/would corrupt your save data. Thanks to Mato aka Clyde Mandelin, we've patched the game now and everything's working as intended. Also thank you to Good_Guy_JDP the streamer who discovered the main cause for us as he was playing.

8 hours ago, LordLocke said:

when will it be possible to play on Android emulators?

Not anytime soon by us, but Mato is working on a translation patch himself now which will work on console. Should be available in the 2nd half of 2021 he said.

Check it out here!

I just read through the thread at RomHacking and I'm stoked that you all and Mato seem to be working together on this. You all have done some amazing things already and it'll be exciting to see this all potentially work on a console. Keep up the great work and thanks for all that you do to spread this hack to the rest of the world.

Just a small update, but we currently (thanks to Sir Newton Fig) have a working 4-player mode for T-Edition. This will allow for multitap and Parsec (program that allows for 1 person to host a game, and others to connect to them) play, letting 4 people control 1 character each in FF6 now.

We're still in the process of testing it to make sure we don't run into issues from when we tested it with Brave New World, but from light testing, it does work with T-Edition. This'll open up a lot of fun I feel for people who want to get friends together and each control someone in a MMO-style gameplay, tackling the game while working together. I'll make another post once we've finalized it works perfectly and release it to the public.

Below is an example of what we hilariously referred to as "Figaro Drift" from our Brave New World run of the patch (as well as the T-Edition menu with the patch applied and you selecting your # of players). That's why we're testing it out before I release it :P

unknown.png?width=1284&height=670

unknown.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

A small bug was discovered due to a patch in EX we made where the FF11 battle would softlock when entering into phase 2. I've gone ahead and fixed this/reuploaded the files, so if you've recently downloaded the game or had issues with the fight and skipped it, go ahead and download the file again and retry.

Edited by Kain Stryder

A new update is up featuring the previously mentioned 4-Player Mutitap feature, thanks to SirNewtonFig. The patch can be found in the new folder of the download with a readme explaining what it is/does and how you can effectively use it. So get some friends together and have some fun! I've also gone ahead and given the Japanese community on Tsushiy's forums awareness/access to it as well so they may enjoy it too.

Edited by Kain Stryder

What GBA content is in the T-Edition?  The mod documentation says it includes some GBA content.

I ask because I've never played the GBA version, having heard the SNES was technically superior, but I am curious about the GBA areas and fights.

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire

Spoiler

Some of the espers and the Soul Shrine, but Dragon's Den was added then scrapped and replaced with 3 new original dungeons and content instead. Also New Game+, open as soon as you can reach Narshe in the WoR.

Thankee!

How does T-Edition fix the vanilla esper grinding problem of tens of a dozen playable characters who can learn spells from espers and tens of espers with unique spells and the assumption that players will teach at least most of these spells to all party members who can learn them?  Vanilla FFVI is simply too short to avoid grinding in the WoR even with a main party of 4 that handles all the relevant multi-party areas!

Greetings, all!

I found this CRITICAL BUG today in FFVI: Divergent Paths and wanted to notify you of it.  I'm unsure if it's been fixed in your version, but fix it if it hasn't been already!

Kefka's Tower: If I activate the chest shown on the east side of this picture then leave Kefka's Tower, it can't be used again and which means I can't get past the rubble to reach Kefka!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1e6qg0XJiqcp5UhEqoD2XEPg5LPYzQh7v?usp=sharing

Thankee for fixing this!

Please don't make several topics asking questions, post them all in one or if this was a bug report, talking in the main post or even the known issues would be preferred.

Most of your questions can be answered by reading the read me and changes html files or the main thread of this forum. Divergent Paths is not the same game as T-Edition; what bugs that mod has don't reflect in this one. That bug's not present, to answer your question.

T-Edition doesn't really "fix" esper grinding since you're expected to do some leveling with all the new content if you feel like exploring it. If you want fast esper levels early, Intangir gives 20 AP now and the tricks to beat him still apply from vanilla. Otherwise, old fashion grinding works in WoR. It's a standard JRPG still, it expects you to work for things, not hand them to you in 5 minutes.

Edited by Kain Stryder

Merged the bug report and the main question into this thread, deleted the "what's different" thread since the information is in this post, both at Kain's request.

I couldn't tell based only from what I read of the documentation (and thankee for such thorough documentation!), but...

-Are Strago's Lores alphabetized by their first English letter?  Brave New World did this and I liked it enough to request it in other FFVI mods I've played.

-How are spell growth rates from espers changed?

-Are the vanilla FFVI party costumes available?

-Does Cyan's Iaido/Bushido command fill at a faster rate than vanilla, akin to the Brave New World rate?

-How does Terra's Morph/Trance ability work?  I avoided it in vanilla because it seemed to run out permanently and my elementary school self didn't have access to GameFAQs to tell me how to handle it.

-What are Vigor and Stamina meant to do?  I also avoided them due to not understanding how they worked.

-In terms of the English translation, how closely does it follow the Woolsey script for the parts of the game that were in vanilla FFVI?  (I assumed there was a lot of custom translation stuff even in the vanilla areas.)  The translation notes say the GBA script was used for vanilla content.

-Why was Dragon's Den scrapped in favor of other content?

Thankee!

Edited by Endarire

Please read over the documentation, 2nd time saying this. Most of your questions are answered in there or again, the very first topic post of this thread. Changes html, characters html, dressing room html, read me files, look in there, I thoroughly documented/translated everything so any question anyone could have is found in the files.

Strago's Blue Magic is not in alphabetical order. No plans to do so either, moving magic is a nightmare.

Esper growth is gone, mentioned in first post of topic and why.

The default vanilla sprites aren't available, as Tsushiy has edited them to his preference. If you're determined, you can replace them yourself, but we have no plans to do/offer it (I've included a few of my sprite edits for Locke/Kefka).

Again read the documentation, but yes, it's faster.

See above, lasts longer the more spells she knows and some other stuff.

Stamina helps avoid special attacks/add effects.

Dragon's Den was a mess of coding and he wanted his own original ideas thrown in. I can't answer it beyond that since I'm not the creator.

Edited by Kain Stryder

I rechecked the changes and didn't see anything on whether Schrodinger's Chests are still in the game.  Are they?

I was also concerned about the loss of text characters in names compared to the vanilla version.  Maybe the GBA had fewer characters to use, but SNES items had 12 characters + a symbol while SNES commands (Tools, Magitek, etc.) had 12 characters and no symbol.  I just arrived in Figaro Cave the first time on this mod and this change bugged me the most because it seemed like such a strange design decision.  I can grind past the higher early game difficulty (which still seemed unpleasantly high pre-Figaro cave.

Also to clarify, how long does Terra's Morph/Trance last in this version?  I didn't understand the formula in vanilla which meant I rarely used it.  Is the timer per fight?  Per NG+ cycle?  Other?

In the Beginner's Hall, what counts as 'advanced advice?'  I talked to the scholars for basic and advanced info and didn't notice a difference between them.

Thankee!  (Remember, I ask y'all so many things because I'm interested in your work!  Alleluia!)

This is the Japanese version, NOT the English version the mod is built on, keep that in mind. There is a lesser character limit and editing menus is not as well documented, as well as nearly EVERYTHING was moved around or changed/edited. ONE menu page took Lazarus 4 hours to edit. Expanded magic spells is a separate patch that dn spent hours on to get working followed by Bropedio and Serity to punch in and get working. Please understand this mod let alone rom hacking is not an easy process and isn't some simple edit and fix job like editing a notepad file.

Changing chests are still in, as mentioned in the read me, as I stated now three times most of your questions can be found in the above files of my posts. Please thoroughly read things, I didn't write it for my health.

I don't know the duration on Terra's Trance, play and see.

Talk to the man behind the counter, tell him you're not a beginner, the npcs update to tell new things about the mod. If you didn't notice a difference, then you weren't paying attention. (Example: One mentions Pictomancers aka Relm can naturally learn magic now).

I likely found a bug in 2.9.3.

I powerleveled the team (Banon/Terra/Sabin/Edgar) to level 53 and Edgar learned Protect!  Naturally!  He had no esper equipped!

It's a minor thing.  I'm unsure what caused it, but early access to Safe is at least of minor use.