Kain Stryder

FFVI T-Edition (LUA Translation) - v3.0.5 (2.9.7 (Costume Stats) Still Available) - 3/17/23

123 posts in this topic

The download for this translation project (lua script), as well as helpful files/guides can be found here (now includes the lua for an easier setup):

2.9.7 is only being kept for those wishing to experience the mod when it had the costume system. Any future updates use 3.0+.

SAVE DATA DOES NOT TRANSFER FROM 2.9 TO 3.0; YOU MUST START 3.0 FRESH!

Version 2.9.7 (Costume stat system): https://www.mediafire.com/file/u1o65w6f6zva0be/FF6_T-Edition_English.rar/file

Version 3.0.5 (Current update): https://www.mediafire.com/file/ss7ec4pc0uuyu7z/FF6+T-Edition+English+3.0.rar/file

Click here if you want an indepth explanation on the lua.

Click here for the MSU-1 setup if you wish to fix the music to how Tsushiy intended it, (only if playing in English) but this is included in the download above already.

If you are looking for Mato's translation and patches, please check the thread/link below as it's a separate project from ours:

Click here for information on Mato's translation and download for the current version.

If you want to contact us, at the top of this page is a "CHAT" button, click and accept the invite to our Discord. You can find me in there in the T-Edition channel.

IT'S A VERY GOOD IDEA TO RE-DOWNLOAD THE ABOVE FILES PERIODICALLY, AS WE DO OCCASIONAL SMALL UPDATES/FIXES TO IT -- ALTERNATIVELY, CHECK THE POSTS BELOW TO SEE IF ANY OTHER MAJOR UPDATES HAVE TAKEN PLACE. PLEASE ALSO AT THE VERY LEAST READ OVER THE READ ME AND CHANGES.HTML FILES, AND USE THE OTHER HTML FILES AS GUIDES. IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS AT ALL SIMPLY ONLY READ THE README TRANSLATION/QUICK START FILE UNTIL IT TELLS YOU TO GO NO FURTHER (it will just help set you up and nothing more).

I also want to quickly apologize for any confusion in the setup process or in the way we handled the translation/lua script etc etc. It was handled the way it is due to how this mod is coded and just how we were able to get it to work without the game imploding upon itself. The lua is a separate project from this one that was collaborated together after the initial release of our translation below. We did our best to make this as easy as possible to set up but understand this is not a normal mod, nor was it anything short of a cluster headache mixed in with severe food poisoning for literally every step of the way to get this thing in working order. I can't begin to explain the difficulty we faced at every level and was it not for the various efforts of numerous people over the years, none of this would've been possible and I'm personally thankful for all the help we had in bringing this mod to a larger audience to enjoy. That said, if you have any issues at all in getting this to work, please pop into the discord (Chat button at the top of the page) and find us in the T-Edition channel (or ask in General, someone'll point you to us). I also did my best in documenting everything about this mod, from translating Tsushiy's guides and notes to adding in my own notes and information he didn't add (steal, libra, ragnarok results etc) so that you, the player, have everything at your disposal and aren't left clueless as to what x does or where y quest is or anything. Think of it as a full documentation/strategy guide.

Please also realize while we can't make everyone happy with this translation, we're doing the best we can with it. That said, certain names of items, people, etc etc may be different or changed for either a more correct translation or to just keep familiarity, such as FF6 SNES vs GBA naming schemes (we use both). If you don't agree with things we've chosen, I apologize and hope this doesn't detour you from playing. Note however, the main dialogue/story is the GBA script, as neither myself, nor Lazarus wanted to retranslate a game that already has a perfectly solid translation (GBA script, though I know alot enjoy the SNES version, I do too), let alone think we could offer something better or add to the already lengthy choices of fan scripts out there; it's just beating a dead horse and waste of time in our eyes. So the game's dialogue is the GBA script with a few minor alterations, otherwise any new dialogue for the mod exclusively was handled by myself and Mato via his notes/videos he handed to me. Again, my intention for the translation was not to step on toes/upset people with x name or y line and I did the best choice I felt to appease the majority. No one's ever gonna agree on this game's translation and I know it's a constant heated topic, but you know our stance at least. In that regard, I also made sure to not meme or joke with any dialogue or add any "creativeness" as my mark on the mod. I simply translated what was in front of me, and kept this as professional as I could (however, my one small addition is a brief couple of lines Locke says to Terra as they escape the Narshe Mines to alert the player about the Beginner's Hall, in the event the player ignored the html documentation completely, as well as Lone Wolf in WoR giving a slight hint due to Tsushiy's npc dialogue not really hinting at something and it possible for the player to completely miss out on some large things).

The emulator necessary for playing is SNES9x-rr 1.60 when using the lua scripting. If you don't plan to use the lua, the dialogue in game will be a garbled mess due to our tampering, but menus etc will be full English. You can play this on actual hardware, but again, dialogue will be a mess and you're better off using Mato's patch (found at the top of this post). If using SNES9x-rr 1.60, please patch the music fix or read the instructions in the optional patches folder under the music fix description in the readme to adjust the emulator's settings for the music. However, ignore this if you plan to use MSU-1 (see the thread here for how to set up that).

Note: You can now use lua script on an Android phone or Steam Deck; readme files for setup on both are included in the main download file.

You will need a Japanese 1.0 file, anything else won't work. The current EX translation for English is a bit rough menu wise, but the rest is fully translated (if, again, using the lua script).

Final Fantasy VI: T-Edition and EX

This is a Japanese mod of the original Final Fantasy VI based off a previous mod called Omega Patch. I personally have little information on exactly what Omega Patch is beyond some inventory expansion and other things, but this is what T-Edition is built off of.

What is T-Edition? Firstly, let me be clear that I nor anyone else here did not make this mod. The mod creator is a Japanese modder by the name of Tsushiy.

Myself, Lazarus_DS, and dn are the ones managing the translation:

Kain Stryder - Translator, handled the html files/in-game translations/upkeeps the translation.

dn - Coder, handled menu and coding work.

Lazarus_DS - Translator/Coder, handled menu/in-game translations/coding work.

So what is it, exactly? T-Edition is a massive overhaul to the base game and much much more. Here's a *basic* list of what you'll find (spoiler-friendly):

- Over 50+ new side quests, handled via the barkeeps in cities/towns, and later other places in the WoR (explore everywhere!)

- An Achievement/Collection Room in the Narshe Beginner's Hall, showcasing your feats and tracking your progress (includes EX mode achievements).

- Several new dungeons and areas, including some of the GBA content.

- Tons of new events and dialogue (the main story remains the same, but small things have been changed/inserted for a more fuller experience, be it cut content from the original game or Tsushiy's own ideas).

- A developer's room, mostly with Tsushiy's commentary and events, leading into EX mode access.

- The esper leveling system for stat gains has been removed. In its place is a costume system, where upon finishing achievements, side quests and/or story progression, you will unlock costumes in the WoR on the Falcon to swap characters into (requires a bar quest done first that's available upon receiving the Falcon -- search for it!) This changes their stats for better or worse, but it depends on your play style for that character. Each character has 4 costumes, all based off other Final Fantasy characters they have similarities or things in common with. This will change their sprites and menu graphics. Leveling up simply makes you stronger now, so don't hold back! Grind, grind, and grind some more!

- Some enemies now can drop up to 4 different items instead of 2.

- Stealing is now a 1/4 and 3/4 for the rare/common item respectively and also slightly easier overall.

- Difficulty re-balancing - The game for the most part in WoB is vanilla difficulty but upped a little bit in some areas, especially side content. The new content is challenging, sometimes even brutal, until you figure out the strategy. The difficulty doesn't spike until the WoR when you begin doing the new content and side quests, with some stuff being hard to really hard. Final Kefka is no pushover, don't expect to breeze through this. Enfeeble enemies, buff yourself, try out new tactics, see what works, because enemies can be debuffed, perhaps things that didn't work in vanilla work now, so it's worth casting and seeing what happens. Even if you think "that won't work", TRY IT, you may be surprised!

- Over 170 new songs have been added (not including Inn music and Fanfares), being able to listen to them in the Config menu -> highlight "Sound" and click (A) to open the Music Player like the GBA version. If using the lua scripting, there's a nice little feature here, too!

- Ultimate weapons have been added for each character. These range from decent/good to godly and are part of a large side quest to obtain.

- Gau has been reworked to be able to learn Rages anywhere in the game. Simply have him in party and do the fight and he'll obtain the Rage. Leap has been removed also; he now has a Fight command and can use Claws/Axes. Several of his Rages are extremely good, especially late game when he becomes a God. If you disliked him before, give him another look here.

- New 2nd abilities for characters have been added for Celes, Terra, Mog and Relm (that replace Runic, Morph, Dance and Sketch, respectively). Control/Possess has been removed from the game.

- The damage cap for party and enemies has been risen from 9999 to 32,000.

- Almost every character's toolkit has been changed or re-balanced, please read over the html files to see everyone's abilities now. There's too much to write here. For the most part, everyone plays a bit differently than before but most of it is still familiar. Umaro for example is now controllable and has the "Snowstorm" ability to use at will, aka Blizzard Orb. He can also use magic, but only outside of battle, and knows any spells your team does, like Gogo.

- To promote some character's jobs, people such as Sabin get more HP but much less MP, making him more of a physical attacker, so he won't make for a good mage. However, some of his Blitzes are magic based, so gearing him in a specific costume and giving him Magic+ gear can make him a potent physical magic damager.

- A new game+ feature - Done at the Narshe Beginner's Hall (once the Falcon is obtained), the man behind the counter in the lobby will reboot the game for you, allowing you to keep ANY items, Espers, magic, rages etc gained, but key items, levels, and the Veldt encounters are reset. Treasure and side quests are reset too, allowing for you to obtain duplicates of things or to just simply restart the game if you royally botched and missed something important, or just wanting a fresh start and being OP from the get go, yet still retaining a challenge (due to your levels being reset).

- A "disc 2" so to speak. Very late in the game, once a specific side quest chain has been finished, the middle door in the Narshe Beginner's Hall will unlock, leading to the developer's room. Inside here is a separate room with Moogles and a save point, explaining to save your game here and to read the ex html file. EX is "disc 2", where once loaded, you'll be in the Moogle room with a new door but the exit missing. Traveling through said door will put you into a Crystal Room where you may select various bosses from past Final Fantasy games to challenge. These offer no rewards besides just "I beat them!", so play only if you wish for a challenge. That said, these bosses are HARD, so go in prepared. When a boss is defeated, saving your game then reloading the save BACK to "disc 1" the boss's painting will appear in the gallery room to prove you won.

- Many other surprises await you to find, as if I listed *everything* here, it'd spoil the fun, but please keep in mind that this mod, according to Tsushiy and in his own words, was made for himself (which when you think about it, is absolutely insane to create a mod of this level solely for your own enjoyment, but also shows how much he loves it). He decided to share it so others may enjoy it, too (please also note some things make little sense outside to him and are not really fitting for a wider audience of players, such as costume stats, but as far as that goes, we offer an optional fix so you can have some variety and feel unlocking them was worth your time, while not being locked into the same costumes every playthrough; Tsushiy's stance on fixing things is "do it yourself if you have the means" and it can be seen as insulting to ask him to change stuff just because you disliked it. Again, he made this for him, not the public, hence why everything we offer is optional (be it patches or lua quality of life additions; everything can be turned off/on) and not a replacement for his work (he's more than ok with this).

Tsushiy does goes on to say that if you don't want your memories of Final Fantasy VI ruined or dislike fan fiction/these types of mods, please don't play it. This is to say that, some new events expand on the lore of the game and characters (either by adding in cut content the original FF6 dev team discussed in interviews or Tsushiy's own ideas) and in my opinion, he does it justice without coming off as cringe, giving characters out of place dialogue, or "this doesn't fit, at all/my day is ruined." Moreover, new songs play in some areas not related to the new content, as well as monster sprites from other FF games or SNES Square-Enix titles. The core game play/experience of FF6 is still here as a vast majority of the new content/events is OPTIONAL; you can play this mod and ignore it if it bothers you to that degree if you just want a mod that fixes alot of the glaring issues of the original while offering some amped up difficulty, balancing, etc of a typical JRPG. Overall, just have fun with it and enjoy the experience for what it is, especially if you want something new/mixing it up.

As a foot note, this is a VERY popular mod in Japan and Tsushiy is overjoyed people outside of Japan are now experiencing it, as he never dreamed anyone overseas would play or take an interest, let alone be able to get it into English (he lamented to me personally how he tried himself/showed me examples and was disheartened at the severe truncation in menus, but is happy we got around it).

There's so much more to list, it's easier if you just read over the notes and changes within the download's html files or just play and unlock the mysteries for yourself.

Join us on Discord and pop into the T-Edition channel if you have any questions/comments, or post here in this thread.

Edited by Kain Stryder

All of the BNE2 folder files (address locations and changes, etc) have been translated now, as well as the files in the For Producers folder (except 2 that will be translated shortly but aren't super important). This means not only can we locate/find everything in the mod easily, but anyone with coding knowledge can as well. The download has been updated and as it stands, just a couple stray files and the History.html are not fully translated, but will be soon.

Our current plan right now is to revamp the menu screen to make it more readable, then begin work on descriptions as well as the Steal dialogue so you can more easily see if you failed/stole/enemy has nothing. On top of this, creating a file for enemy drops and steals to compile that Tsushiy never did, but to help you the player.

A new update is up, this one adding an Item Drop/Steal List to the html folder. Refer to the first post here for the download link. This is a custom-made file that is not available in Tsushiy's original download and is English only.

Enemy names may NOT be 100% the same as they appear in game, but you should have little trouble figuring them out over all until we finalize everything. Also until we get the steal messages translated, I've included in the file what to look for to determine if you failed, succeeded, or if the enemy has nothing to steal.

On 11/28/2019 at 7:26 AM, GamingFiend said:

what rom should I use to patch this?

It's already patched, just unzip.

Note: No longer accurate, please use a JP 1.0 ROM.

Edited by Kain Stryder

54 minutes ago, Kain Stryder said:

It's already patched, just unzip.

LOL I just figured that out, the IPS patches included confused me.

Couple of questions to start. What are those special rooms in the developers room with the books? Also, is there anyway I can tell from the text if my STEAL attempt was successful?

You should really kind of read the readme files and other things included in the download...

The books tell you hints on the achievements, which this is gone over in the event.html file.

Successful steal/fail/has nothing is explained in the itemdrop.html at the top.

Very minor update to report on.

Lazarus managed to get a laptop that runs the programs he needs with Windows 8 and has begun working. Here's a minor revision to the download:

- Esper names aka Eidolons no longer overlap with the text and looks much cleaner in the menu.

- Job titles are now correct, especially for the later costumes. No more Blitzball Ace Mog or Princess Golbez.

Very small update I know but work's being done. I'll update here as progress is made.

New update is up.

- Main Menu is now translated/untruncated. Some work is still being done.

- Status are translated, both in battle and menu.

- Skills menu is now untruncated.

- Fixed the Sahagin Chief name for rages.

- Fixed the Healing Staff auto sort bug.

- Fixed Hastega's name (was "Heig")

- "Mug" was showing as "Mug(ru) (hiragana symbol) and is now fixed.

ff6t10.PNG

ff6t12.PNG

Edited by Kain Stryder

Very small update. Put up a QoL adjustment for the read me files. Thanks to Serity, they now have a side bar you can click on while browsing. Open the _index OPEN ME FIRST html file and have fun!

pic.png

Another small, yet not so small update.

- Menu work continues to be untruncated/translated, Item Menu now is Items/Sort/Key Items and lists the Runic OK, Iaido OK, etc information on equipment.

- Stray hiragana on item information is gone.

- HUGE thank you to Serity and Madsiur, a new html file has been added exclusive to the english version - Libra/Ragnarok Morph data.

- We've also added a Coliseum List thanks to Serity, enjoy!

ragnarok.png

coliseum.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

Another small update:

- Equip menu titles are now untruncated.

- Expanded the "Equip" and "Remove" box by one to fit the text, inserted and moved the text.

- Fixed the "2Sword" bug where text would get left over (Tsushiy wrote the text somewhere the game wasn't auto-erasing).

- Renamed the "2Sword" text to "DWield". Sadly, six character of spaceis all we have unless we can figure out how to get the game to erase more characters.

- Various html errors corrected.

- Cliff notes added to Dressing Room and Window Type htmls

ff6t19.PNG

ff6t20.PNG

ff6t21.PNG

Small update:

- "Save" on the save menu is now readable.

- The forming party screen now has readable text.

- "Lv" was not appearing in the party menu due to a bug. You'll notice Lv is missing in the Terra screenshot as an example, but it's been fixed.

- Magic learn rate/progress text is now readable on the Eidolon menu.

- A new image at the top of the Dressing Room html, thanks to Serity, for quick glance and cross-referencing stats for costumes.

ff6t23.PNG

ff6t25.PNG

ff6t27.PNG

I'm like a broken record, always saying the same thing, but, another small update:

- Config menu has had the unreadable text translated and other things fixed up a bit. This menu is extremely tight on space and work in here is sadly very limited.

- Esper names in the status menu no longer get cut off

- Auto-equip after changing relics message has been translated and fixed up.

ff6t28.PNG

ff6t29.PNG

ff6t30.PNG

Very big (kinda sorta) update.

This is for the moment version 1.2 beta. Changes:

With some more work from Serity, we now have 2 optional patches in the Optional patches folder, which are heavily suggested you use. Keep in mind these are still very rushed and beta, but I'm ok enough to call this a 1.2 beta release for the moment. The patches are:

kanji_swap_elements_only: This will change the 8 basic elemental kanji into the SNES english versions graphic symbols, allowing you to see what an enemy's weaknesses are and equipment's elemental affinity etc. The downside is this will replace some in-game dialogue but it's a minor thing. Use this if you ONLY want the elemental kanji changed and NOT the stuff mentioned below, however, remember that steals/treasure will be garbled in japanese and you'll have to sort your inventory/search for what you get constantly.

kanji_swap_elements_treasure_steal_battle_magic_and_items: This is the big one. Same as above, but it will also now let you read in english what items you find in treasure boxes, what steals you get, and magic/items used in battle. However, the downside to this and why we made it seperate is it garbages up the in-game dialogue. This isn't a huge deal since if you can't read japanese, you aren't missing anything, but it's important enough we wanted to release this so people can have an easier time enjoying the game and seeing what they collect/steal without jumping through hoops. On a professional level, this is extremely rushed and very beta, so we apologize, but until we can polish it up and get something nicer, it'll have to do.

To use either of these patches, simply use Lunar IPS included in this download and patch either file onto the english T-Edition and have fun.

Note: The font used for menuing is 8x8 while the field font and dialogue is 16x11. Again this is a very rushed beta so excuse any messes for the time being.

fftsteal.png

ffttreasure.png

fftweakness.png

fftequip.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

Shoot man you keep updates comin this fast we'll be able to play a full 100% translated version by the end of February. Nice work man!

Small note I forgot to mention:

Due to the new patches, the Dressing Room WILL show english names now, even if you change them to whatever you'd like to name each person. Enjoy!

fftdress.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

Small update up.

- Eidolon text on the summon screen is now readable.

- Eqp and Rem are now not truncated under the Relic equip screen.

- Final Kefka set up is now translated/readable.

fftkefkafinal.png

ffteidolon.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

Small update is up and a sneak peak (this is NOT currently available) at the new spell list and status screen:

- Thanks to Serity, all or most of the Yes/No dialogue choices are now in english, including the New Game+ choice in the dialogue at the Narshe School in the WoR. This is an optional patch as it may break something.

Below are pictures of the new spell and status windows, now non-truncated, thanks to dn's coding. Not available just yet.

fftyesno.png

fftexp.png

fftspells.png

New update is up, more progress on the menuing:

- The Eidolon menu is now non-truncated and has been made into 1 column as a result.

- The Blue Magic menu has seen the same changes as the above. Please note this is not reflected yet in the battle menu, as they are 2 different things.

- Removed the class text from Equip/Relics.

- Weapon, Armor etc shops have had the unreadable text translated now, albeit truncated sadly.

- Renamed Key Items to be a little cleaner.

- Translated the "<actor> has it!" text for the Eidolon menu (if you clicked and someone has it equipped).

- Fixed the bug where text wasn't erasing for the Eidolon name on an empty slot for the party lineup screen.

- Fixed the "Yes/No" prompts for the save/load menus.

- I've added a note on the Achievements side quest detailing the new NPC in a house north of Narshe in the WoR, who tells you your progress with certain character's abilities, such as 500 successful Steals or 500 successful Runics etc.

ff6tespers.png

ff6tblue.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

Small update:

Shop names and the Buy/Sell/Exit text have been non-truncated and are now readable (Weapon, Armor, Items, Relics, Vendor).

ff6tshop.png

Edited by Kain Stryder

New update is up. Changes:

- The status menu shown earlier is now live. Status title menu expanded, new title inserted.
- Status menu strings rearranged.

ff6tstatus.jpg

Edited by Kain Stryder