About This File
TO: LUCT is no doubt one of the classics of turn based tactical games, it can boast complex storyline with a memorable cast of characters and multiple endings, as well as a deep combat system with a vast arsenal of equipment, items and spells. Its PSP port can also serve as an example of how such things should be done, with the game getting not only a much needed facelift but also a thorough redesign of most combat elements.
Sadly, the game isn’t without faults, as some of the new features make it extremely prone to exploits which an experienced player can use to fully remove any challenge from the game. The main goal of this mod is to render such exploits more difficult, bringing weapons, classes and skills closer to the level they should perform at, as well as to each other. Its secondary goal is to provide tweaks to immersion, visuals and some of the more cumbersome game systems like crafting and endless skill farming.
This is still a work in progress so all feedback is welcome.
For installation instructions and more info check the included Readme file.
- Weapon, armor and consumable item rework. Equipment is more likely to do what you expect of it, 2H weapons will do a lot of damage and a tank in heavy armor will be hard to kill.
- Additional items, spells and skills, as well as changes to the existing ones with a focus on improving the more unappealing choices.
- Skills that grant stat bonuses, like Strengthen or Spellcraft, as well as static choices like Switfoot or Spell Ward were removed and compensated with higher stat differences between classes than in vanilla game.
- A full Finishing move rebalance.
- Most ways of gaining permanent stats were removed to reduce power creep in late game and increase options during early game.
- The power of special characters was reduced across the board, they're about on par with each other now and not overwhelmingly stronger than generics.
- Generic characters have more diverse templates that split into fighter, rogue, mage and generalist archetypes, their stats can differ a lot depending on which one you hire.
- Significantly increased the levelling speed of slow skills, like Steal or Parry.
- Most classes were tweaked, with emphasis on nerfing the strong ones and buffing the weak, many gained new tricks.
- Monsters don't scale natural armor as high as before. With the changes to skills, their new role is high HP bullet sponges that take a lot of damage and use the TP gained to spam special moves.
- Many items are easier to acquire, reducing the endgame tedium.
- Visual changes to some items, special characters, skills and spells.
- Streamlined crafting.
Consolidated changelist available in feedback thread.
What's New in Version 0.945 See changelog
Patch notes v0.945
- Continued with the incremental updates to campaign battles, this time adding Chapter 2 on Law path
- The advanced classes (blue, red and gold) in endgame are less restricted with skills, it’s a temporary measure until those battles are reworked
- Magehunter claws remove more MP on hit, 30 for mid game and 40 for endgame weapons
- Some 2H sword names were moved around
- The amount of TP that both katana types remove on hit varies now, for 1H version it’s 20 early on, 30 in mid and 40 in late game and for 2H version it’s 30, 45 and 60, respectively
- Chain Whip is now a baldur weapon
- Tambourine is now a baldur weapon
- Boltcaster crossbows have proven to be way too situational for a main weapon, so they were reworked to be one-handed which might allow your fighters to sneak some hits into the back line if there’s a convenient opening. Their range and damage was reduced a bit, but they’re also lighter and faster to use, with endgame elemental versions having no physical component so crush/slash/pierce resistance doesn’t apply. This also means that the CPU will very rarely, if ever, autoequip them, potentially ending up less effective on terrain with high elevation differences
- A few crossbows were renamed following the change above
- Status immunity is less common on readily available pieces of gear, and is mostly left for endgame unique pieces, it isn’t really needed, considering that immunity skills are more accessible
- Oathblade’s Mark added to the game, it can currently only be crafted with Transcription but it will be made more available eventually
- Most fighters and hybrids received access to one extra weapon skill they can transfer from other classes, to indicate that it’s an off-choice, either suboptimal or just uncommon for the class
- The level requirement for Jump skills was lowered
- Warrior gained access to Cudgels as a transfer skill but can use only the fighter variant
- Archer gained access to Parry, and can also use a minor dagger finisher Hamstring, the option to parry and immobilize a melee attacker on demand if pinned down should give a bit more purpose to having a melee weapon skill
- Cleric gained access to Whips as a transfer skill, all that self-flagellation finally paid off, also gained access to Field Alchemy II
- Spellblade gained access to 1H Katana as a transfer skill
- Knight gained access to Cudgels as a transfer skill, so they have one more 2H weapon choice
- Terror Knight gained access to 1H Swords as a transfer skill but can use only the sidegrade bastard sword variant
- Berserker gained access to 1H Swords as a transfer skill, what’s a pirate that can’t use a cutlass
- Swordmaster gained access to Daggers as a transfer skill
- Dragoon gained access to 2H Katana as a transfer skill, TP removal is nice to have when fighting monsters
- Ninja gained access to Cudgels as a transfer skill, they seem harmless enough
- Rogue now gains access to 1H Swords as a transfer skill
- Beast Tamer gained access to Crossbows as a transfer skill
- Warlock gained access to 1H Swords as a transfer skill, and can learn Deflect
- Angel Knight gained access to 1H Katana as a transfer skill
- Hoplite gained access to 1H Katana as a transfer skill
- Juggernaut gained access to Fists as a transfer skill
- Patriarch gained access to Spears as a transfer skill but can use only the 1H ones, he can learn Deflect and Wade but has lost Gluttony
- Familiar gained access to Crossbows as a transfer skill but can use only the 1H ones, now that the class is exclusive to fairies it doesn’t need Wade anymore and has lost access to Gluttony
- Trickster gained access to Fusils as a transfer skill but can use only the 1H ones, it lost access to Wade and Gluttony, same as familiar
- Warden gained access to 2H Swords as a transfer skill, it lost access to Gluttony
- Ranger gained access to 2H Swords as a transfer skill but can only use gunblades, RT cost of movement per tile is lower by 1
- Priest gained access to Whips as a transfer skill, by some sources it’s a proper weapon for an undead hunter, especially the Chain Whip
- Heretic gained access to 1H Swords as a transfer skill, we can finally have the artwork setup
- Princess gained access to 2H Katana as a transfer skill
- Vartan gained access to Whips as a transfer skill
- White Knight gained access to Fists as a transfer skill
- Wicce gained access to Instruments as a transfer skill and can learn Devour, she lost access to Meditate and Gluttony
- Songstress gained access to Spears as a transfer skill but can only use the 1H ones, RT cost of movement per tile is lower by 1
- Buccaneer now gains access to 2H Swords as a transfer skill, he is still limited to gunblades, RT cost of movement per tile is lower by 1
- Knight Commander gained access to Cudgels as a transfer skill
- Monster stats were reshuffled around so they don’t get blown up by skills using the level scaling formula, it means they will feel a bit different now so let me know if something about them is off
- Added Paragon to the game as a unique class for Ravness, she can equip light/heavy armor/accessories and is limited to 1H Swords only, but gains three minor finishers with them at levels 1, 3 and 5. The class has a similar access to skills as Knight, except being limited to first two tiers of Rampart Aura, it is able to learn Lockdown, Palladium and Momentum, also being able to transfer Aegis, Consecrate Dead, Phalanx and Blood Price from other classes. Her magic selection is limited to Divine spells – Regenerate, Ease, Major Heal and Evacuate. This class probably isn’t something we haven’t seen somewhere before, but Ravness’ visual design is also something we’re somewhat vaguely familiar with so it should be a good match
Spells and Active Skills
- Hover Draft now grants Flight to a single target
- Corrosion should now do less damage to beasts, some deviation is still possible
- Mighty Glacier now also advances the RT counter of the target slightly
- Regenerate lasts longer
- Wisplight and Hellhound summons now do the proper amount of damage to living and undead targets
- Drain Mind will suck away all of the target’s MP now
- Gravity Flux will now show how much damage it does
- Ninjutsu summons now have a physical component like Burst spells, it was done for consistency reasons as their light/dark variants also ignore the living/undead state of the target. As this means they will do less damage in some cases their damage was buffed slightly to compensate
- Brainrot will now drain all mana from its targets, along with inflicting Feeblemind and Spellslip, making it significantly more nasty
- Secret of Mana song will do more MP damage to enemies
- Grenades now scale with level instead of attack power, so they will do damage even if you don’t have a weapon equipped
- Added Frostblink, a minor 1H Sword finisher exclusive to Paragon that does ice damage to a single target and has a 40% chance to inflict Bind
- Added Hellcry, a minor 1H Sword finisher exclusive to Paragon that does fire damage in a line and has a 25% chance to inflict Fear
- Added Boltstrike, a minor 1H Sword finisher exclusive to Paragon that does lightning damage in area and has a 25% chance to inflict Shackle
- Most line finishers now have higher range as they’re generally harder to use
- Added Hamstring, a minor Dagger finisher exclusive to Archer that does no damage but has a 100% chance to Bind
- Fusrodah can now move its area 2 squares outward so it doesn’t have to be centered on the user
- Gluttony was reworked to Devour, it drains all of the target’s MP to heal the user’s HP and charge his MP. Its TP cost was raised to 30
- Salvation can now move its area 3 squares outward so it doesn’t have to be centered on the user
- Selfless Kiss now also can’t be used on undead, the fairy union lodged another complaint citing that “kissing a zombie simply isn’t an option, no-no-no, if you want to bring any undead units along you will have to kiss them yourself, dummy”
- Ravness lost the access to Paladin class and got Paragon instead, she will eventually join in that class once act 3 battles are finished
- Starting stats for monster races have changed to match their class stats
- Fixed some weapon/spell descriptions
- Changed Canopus’ introduction to something slightly less polite but significantly more nostalgic
- With version 0.945:
Report this file