Sign in to follow this  
Heretic

Terribly bad idea time

7 posts in this topic

HEAR ME OUT!

We all know the real fun starts in the World of Ruin.  Reconstructing your team, using whatever characters you like to do whatever, having the best gear available - WoR has it all!

But all good things come to an end.  Eventually you clear Kefka's Tower and you're sad your time in the WoR is concluding.  But what if you could go back?  What if there was an NPC (maybe the dude watching over Locke's girlfriend - he seems kooky enough) that could wake you from the dream and send you back to Solitary Island as Celes carrying all the items and other junk you collected - creating a semi New Game+ mode.

Is such a thing possible?  A man can dream of not having to repeat WoB and getting to Ultima Phunbaba.

6 hours ago, Heretic said:

Is such a thing possible?  A man can dream of not having to repeat WoB and getting to Ultima Phunbaba.

Possible? Yes. It would look something like this:

Write a new event that unequips all characters, removes everyone from the party except Celes (or however the solitary island sequence starts), sets all event flags back to their expected WoR-start state, and then jumps to the event location that begins the solitary island scene.

This event would be accessible via <NPC X>, but would only become available after the event flags for killing each of the goddesses are set.

The pain in the ass part would be isolating the correct event bits. The event itself probably wouldn't be all that hard to write.

The value would be questionable. Most of the WoR will be a cakewalk with endgame levels and gear. Making things harder on ng+ would not be doable, and there'd be no alternate endings or content to explore (like what Chrono Trigger offers for ng+ despite the cakewalk). I think I'd get pretty bored of it, personally.

I dont disagree on the difficulty.  Even jankier idea - reaverage/reset party levels to what they would have been at the start of WoR (low 20s I think?).  Keep that Illumina and pickup the Apocalypse for round 2!

Not the kind of thing for BNW proper, but if something like this existed like the optional ng+ party randomizer and text-less patches that would be sweeeet.

I wonder if there's enough free space in the neighborhood of the nATB speed calculations to rework Nowea's Hard Type speed tweaks into something that gets applied conditionally based on a flag value... A NG+ where you go back, keep all your swag but have your levels reset to base WoR, and then have another go at the WoR with faster enemies? And then NG++ that is the same thing but the player speed handicap also gets applied for even faster enemies? This is starting to sound like something I could get behind.

Maybe this would be easier to do by applying another patch? Anyone playing BNW already knows how to patch a ROM (unless they bought the SNES cartridge version).

I'm no expert, but it seems like applying a second patch to reset the game and boost all the enemy stats would be easier than trying to incorporate it into the game itself.

11 hours ago, BoneDude said:

I'm no expert, but it seems like applying a second patch to reset the game and boost all the enemy stats would be easier than trying to incorporate it into the game itself.

Boost enemy stats, yes. Reset progress, no. That is the domain of SRAM, which is separate from the ROM. You'd need to run some sort of save editor script on your save file if you want to take an external approach.