Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.9.0 is now available!

156 posts in this topic

I'm stalled somewhere late into the game's optional content(such is my wont with JRPGs), but I hope to finish it before 1.10 is available for download so I can jump right in. I don't have the firmest grasp of the details that have changed since I last played, but it plays better than ever, and certain rough patches I had in the past didn't catch my notice, so I will assume they were smoothed out(I'm certainly no smarter).

I've noticed that there are a good handful of people who contribute to this project these days besides BTB and Synchysi, and I would like to thank them for their work on this very enjoyable mod. Also, I don't think I ever mentioned it, and I know there's been at least some snark about it on the internet, but I love the Iron Maiden references. I'm more of a Priest guy myself, but I'm not seeing any losing picks here.

Hey, playing the latest BNW release as my first modded console game ever and I have to say I love it so far.

FF VI was the right game for younger me, while BNW is the right game for older me, so thanks for everyone's dedication.

I have some feedback!

I found two items that are unlisted in the spreadsheet, a magic bone(Gau and maybe Umaro weapon) that I stole while fleeing the floating continent from that pixie witch, and a mystery egg(equipable by every except maybe gogo and Umaro) that I stole in Zozo from the giant....Gigas?  Whatever his name is.   I can't tell what the egg even does. 🤔

Also, it's really weird that characters can still parry/dodge while stopped or are asleep.  I would rather have them get auto hit, and to take a dodge penalty while blind, and perhaps even while slowed if they don't already.   I doubt it would impact balance enough to make it unplayable.  If it is changed, I'd still like to see interceptor blocking.

It also wouldn't be unreasonable to have interceptor blocking for both Relm and Shadow if they were in the same party, and would make the interceptor actually perform takedown when Shadow reaches his dodging potential.

Edited by NGPGamer
Removed extra spacing between paragraphs

1 hour ago, NGPGamer said:

*Snip*

Hey, glad you're enjoying things.

There are several items in the game that aren't mentioned in the Printme - think of them as "secrets" :P

The "dodging while asleep" thing is a weird bug from vanilla that rears its head every now and then here. Thankfully, it's pretty rare from my experience.

If Shadow dies on the Floating Continent, he actually moves over to Relm in BNW instead of just being inactive for the rest of the game. Otherwise, he sticks with Shadow.

On 2/10/2019 at 0:27 PM, BTB said:

Hey, glad you're enjoying things.

There are several items in the game that aren't mentioned in the Printme - think of them as "secrets" :P

The "dodging while asleep" thing is a weird bug from vanilla that rears its head every now and then here. Thankfully, it's pretty rare from my experience.

If Shadow dies on the Floating Continent, he actually moves over to Relm in BNW instead of just being inactive for the rest of the game. Otherwise, he sticks with Shadow.

It occurs to me that, given the nature of this game having 2 more characters than you necessarily "need", an "optimal" run is one where you let Shadow die, isn't it?  Assuming every character is viable, and having 12 characters is effectively the same as having 14, having one character get a significant upgrade by losing another one seems like a definitively stronger move.

Obviously I'm talking pure numbers here; I would never let my good good ninja friend die like that.

It really depends on preference and playstyle. As someone who ranks Shadow in the top 50% of the cast easily, I'd consider it foolish to sacrifice him for a relatively minor buff to Relm. Meanwhile, as someone who struggles to make effective use of Gau in the endgame, he and Umaro are an easy pass for the final gauntlet. I'd try it in the interest of self-challenge, but otherwise Shadow is a shoe-in.

In short, Shadow + regular Relm >> Interceptor Relm + Gau, IMO.

8 hours ago, MorteTheSkull said:

It occurs to me that, given the nature of this game having 2 more characters than you necessarily "need", an "optimal" run is one where you let Shadow die, isn't it?  Assuming every character is viable, and having 12 characters is effectively the same as having 14, having one character get a significant upgrade by losing another one seems like a definitively stronger move.

Obviously I'm talking pure numbers here; I would never let my good good ninja friend die like that.

It's something that I've thought about before - one of the reasons that Shadow is top-tier DPS and good support.