praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

110 posts in this topic

I meant in-game controls (config -> controller custom) - you can change in game which of the SNES buttons is used for what.
It may be possible you accidently assigned menu to a different button and not noticed it?

ZSNES would possibly explain it; they used some very wonky hacks back then to simulate the actual SNES hardware.
It works for about 99% of the cases though it had some random-ish bugs,
like in Star Ocean everything would work fine for me but on some map transitions (I think only 5 specific ones) the music would randomly stop (only 50% of the time) and the game would freeze after 10 seconds if I didn't get a battle in that time; weird stuff like that.

Oh, you meant changing it there. Sorry, I didn't think about that. But that shouldn't have been the case I think. Still, I'll make sure of that next time.

I did consider zsnes could be an issue, but I don't remember having a bug like this when I played FFV originally long ago, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't have happened either.  Regardless, just trying to spread awareness in case it was something that could happen to others.

If I get it again I'll try a few more things, or send you the save state if you want? (I wouldn't be able to save normally, lol.)

Well, since I changed a lot of things in the code there'll obviously be things that weren't in the original,
so ZSNES compatibility with the original doesn't imply compatibility for ZSNES with the mod.

Also savestate wouldn't help me since they are only usable with the same type of emulator; heck I can't even load SNES9X 1.53+ savestates on SNES9X 1.52

On 30.11.2018 at 1:46 AM, Magpie said:

!Brave -> It's great to borrow a turn now, but it's usually one of the first skill slots to go because it's more preferable to !Def and potentially get more than one extra turn eventually. It also kinda burns when the enemy gets to act between your !Brave-d turns (Byblos was a particular repeat offender).

Since the Byblos thing trips people up again and again, here now again as an "official" explanation:
Byblos counters 100% of the attacks against him.
Other bosses may do that too, but Byblos is imo the biggest offender with countering.

Also, since I've come to the conclusion that Monk is the 100% worst, most useless job (can only heal itself a bit and deal water damage, and that not even very well):
!Kick evolves to !Blitz

aurabolt.gif

Oh, I get it. That's a good enough explanation.

Also that's interesting. I completely ignored monks so it'd be interesting to give them a shot with new goodies.

I'm still playing the game, even if I have little free time lately. Can't wait to see the final form of this project, seems it's gonna be worth giving it another run.

Edited by Magpie
grammar

The changes and their amount seemed interesting and impressive, so I'm trying this hack out. 

The documentation mentioned void shards, so I'm giving it a go on difficulty1, but the first thing I noticed is that it makes every enemy survive mortal blows at 1 HP. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the documentation, so I'm wondering if this an intentional effect. At the moment, it feels really annoying to play around and the damage output of anyone but the sword-user (or knife vs crabs) is essentially worthless except for finishing off 1 HP enemies.

Also, I tried starting in NG+ right away because I was enticed by the higher level cap, but it seems that, with enemies dealing enough damage to triply overkill Bartz right off the bat, it's something to get into only much later.

34 minutes ago, Gkybly said:

The documentation mentioned void shards, so I'm giving it a go on difficulty1, but the first thing I noticed is that it makes every enemy survive mortal blows at 1 HP. I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the documentation, so I'm wondering if this an intentional effect. At the moment, it feels really annoying to play around and the damage output of anyone but the sword-user (or knife vs crabs) is essentially worthless except for finishing off 1 HP enemies.

Is intentional. Probably not the only thing I forgot to add somewhere.

35 minutes ago, Gkybly said:

Also, I tried starting in NG+ right away because I was enticed by the higher level cap, but it seems that, with enemies dealing enough damage to triply overkill Bartz right off the bat, it's something to get into only much later.

Yeah, that can only go well. NG+ strengthens enemies quite a bit; the creeps at the beginning are roughly on par stat wise with endgame enemies.

so before this topic collects too much dust, a little status update

backbuster.gif

also, blame BlackLiquidSrw

FF5_void_divergence112.png

passives.gif

FF5_void_divergence113.png

I hope to have "1.0" ready by june.

Woah! The new passives menu is so cool! It's like Final Fantasy VIII's ability system now. It really leaves room to build a characters kit without having to worry about passives clogging everything up. That alone makes me excited for this new update.

I know that before passives usually gave some generic command to use, like !fight or !item, I imagine this does away with that?

Also, what does Vampires !Genome command do, if you don't mind me asking?

If you leave passive slots empty you'll get nothing in them.
Also you can't put passives into the active slots anymore; !job ability + 6 passives had too many shenanigans >.>

But if you leave an active slot unused those will still be filled with !item, etc. just to prevent smartasses from softlocking themselves too easily.

!Genome - like many other abilities at this point - is a set of 8 skills.
Those are learned by defeating specific enemy types while you have a vamp in the party (kinda like FF5a necro but less stupid and 2.5 worlds earlier available)

It'll have fun stuff like:
Absorb - deal ice magic damage and heal your party by the split of the damage
Hunter - physical attack with recoil damage
DarkCure - heal HP + some status (remember that vampire is undead so would take damage from that)
Possess - caster is removed from battle to increase all stats of target ally
Sacrifice - target ally is removed from battle to increase caster's stats

That set is accompanied by !Oath which has the same unlock method and allows you to summon certain enemies like Skeleton, Zombiedragon or Gil Turtle.