raics

Feedback and Suggestions

582 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, LAN021 said:

Right, it would probably be best if I started by saying that those inconsistent uses of 'and', 'or' and '/' are all a consequence of space limitations, which is the biggest problem with most of those suggestions. With some others the problem is that the text isn't in one chunk that I could change, but instead generated on the spot, like 'Weapon Type' + some 'weapon_type' variable whose name the game is fetching, so I wouldn't have any room to put anything there. That aside, the chance and amount for some weapons can vary even for generic weapons within the same class so it's better to put nothing than a number that may be wrong, the general rule is that a stronger status will have a lower proc chance and that a 2h weapon will have a higher chance than 1h, unless the whole class is specialized for status infliction, like blowguns. The proc chance is always the same regardless of the target, so there's no decision involved and you don't really need to know how high it is, you won't pick one target over the other based on that information, you might decide to hit someone else if the target is immune to the secondary effect, though, and the tooltip will hide the icon when that's the case, which is probably good enough.

For spells, the chance differs based on the target so that wouldn't be possible, but there aren't many spells left that do a guaranteed hit and then have a chance for an effect that depends on your stats, maybe there aren't any at all currently. Monster skills have either a guaranteed secondary effect or a fixed 50%-ish chance so showing it isn't helping that much either.

Strengthen and Fortify are intentionally not in caps, to indicate you're getting a usable skill that grants that effect, not the effect itself, didn't really have the room to do anything more than that.

I tried it without the 'arcana' and it was a bit confusing because you'd sometimes forget if you're browsing the list of learned spells or the list of arcana and have to check, shortening some of the spell names was the lesser evil. Scrolls and treatises still have different names because there aren't many of them in comparison with other spells so they aren't hard to remember.

Edited by raics

On 8/23/2020 at 12:51 AM, raics said:

I tried it without the 'arcana' and it was a bit confusing because you'd sometimes forget if you're browsing the list of learned spells or the list of arcana and have to check, shortening some of the spell names was the lesser evil.

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I never even once had that issue in my 220 hours of playing. There are only two sections of magic, browse and learn, and they are sufficiently easy to tell apart. When you're browsing, you usually see a longer list of the spells of the school/lore/type that unit is focused on; when you're learning, you see multiple categories with all the random scrolls you have obtained and certain spells are marked with the striking red "mastered" text. Honestly, I can't see how a single individual who is smart enough to play a game as involved as Tactics Ogre would have an issue with this. Maybe it's because when you are playtesting, you have all the arcana in the inventory? In that case, it could be an issue, even then a minor one at most, but that rarely happens when playing normally. I'd definitely reconsider this one since it seems to be one of the few injudicious choices you've made (although you initially made the judicious choice to change the names from the laughably pretentious latin grimoires, you just went semi-back on it).

Fair points on my other suggestions. Saw now that tarot cards are only shown to the left when hovering with move selected, not otherwise.

Have you also considered buffing the rogue class a little? It's seems a little underwhelming, other than for stealing (haven't tried it much in latest patch, admittedly). Maybe decrease the TP of Sneak Attack to 30 or 20 or even make it a passive skill, if that is possible. Also, maybe add some tarot cards for booby traps with basic effects like damage and stun/sleep to the store?

And how about giving familiars access to evacuate 1 and exorcism 1? That way, they'd be great alternate healers. I used them as such in my lower level alt-party, but the lack of those two spells made it a little difficult.

Edited by LAN021

11 hours ago, LAN021 said:

Well, I can only speak for myself, of course, but I never even once had that issue in my 220 hours of playing. There are only two sections of magic, browse and learn, and they are sufficiently easy to tell apart. When you're browsing, you usually see a longer list of the spells of the school/lore/type that unit is focused on; when you're learning, you see multiple categories with all the random scrolls you have obtained and certain spells are marked with the striking red "mastered" text. Honestly, I can't see how a single individual who is smart enough to play a game as involved as Tactics Ogre would have an issue with this. Maybe it's because when you are playtesting, you have all the arcana in the inventory? In that case, it could be an issue, even then a minor one at most, but that rarely happens when playing normally. I'd definitely reconsider this one since it seems to be one of the few injudicious choices you've made (although you initially made the judicious choice to change the names from the laughably pretentious latin grimoires, you just went semi-back on it).

Fair points on my other suggestions. Saw now that tarot cards are only shown to the left when hovering with move selected, not otherwise.

Have you also considered buffing the rogue class a little? It's seems a little underwhelming, other than for stealing (haven't tried it much in latest patch, admittedly). Maybe decrease the TP of Sneak Attack to 30 or 20 or even make it a passive skill, if that is possible. Also, maybe add some tarot cards for booby traps with basic effects like damage and stun/sleep to the store?

And how about giving familiars access to evacuate 1 and exorcism 1? That way, they'd be great alternate healers. I used them as such in my lower level alt-party, but the lack of those two spells made it a little difficult.

Sure, but knowing in which list you are is still something that should be clear without looking too hard, names are something you get used to and the pattern for most spell types is the same anyway.

I'm getting good feedback about rogue and it was a strong class in my last test playthrough, I don't think it needs anything at this point.

Familiar shouldn't match the scope of classes that focus just on utility, it isn't meant to be a full replacement for cleric.

7 hours ago, raics said:

Sure, but knowing in which list you are is still something that should be clear without looking too hard, names are something you get used to and the pattern for most spell types is the same anyway.

I forgot to mention that I also found a lot of the name changes questionable. Impale instead of Icebrand is not a good change, even the vanilla Iceblast is better, same thing goes for a lot of other vanilla names (Spiritsurge, Gravity Flux, Dead Man's Ivy, Major Heal, Word of Pain). I don't think it was an issue of space in all cases, either (seems to be 20-24 chars), so it was probably something you wanted to change either way. Of course, we, the players, have to get used to the names either way, but that's not a valid reason for questionable name changes. Just being honest with you, of course. I admire your dedication to this mod and think most of your changes are great and make the game more enjoyable, but this was not one of those changes. I don't know what feedback you have gotten on these name changes, but at least consider this piece.

There are also icons for browse (exclamation mark) and learn (checkmark), which you can memorize if you really have a hard time telling the sections apart.

magicicons.thumb.jpg.4913d7cedc17db4fabe1c796faad001d.jpg

7 hours ago, raics said:

I'm getting good feedback about rogue and it was a strong class in my last test playthrough, I don't think it needs anything at this poin

Really? I see no reason to use them as a speedy fighter class over ninja, other than stealing. Ninjas even have the same ranged options, or very close. Decreasing the TP of Sneak Attack to 20/30 would be a good enough buff, it's a little TP heavy to use constantly. Maybe add automatic weapon proc, too, if that is possible (or another separate proc).

7 hours ago, raics said:

Familiar shouldn't match the scope of classes that focus just on utility, it isn't meant to be a full replacement for cleric.

They still wouldn't replace clerics fully, they don't have mother's blessing, major heal and a few other spells. Evacuate and exorcism just means that they could be used as adequate replacements for clerics. They don't have anything other than divine magic, correct? Even though a lot of elemental spells are listed as learnable they can't actually use them.

Edited by LAN021

15 hours ago, LAN021 said:

I forgot to mention that I also found a lot of the name changes questionable. Impale instead of Icebrand is not a good change, even the vanilla Iceblast is better, same thing goes for a lot of other vanilla names (Spiritsurge, Gravity Flux, Dead Man's Ivy, Major Heal, Word of Pain). I don't think it was an issue of space in all cases, either (seems to be 20-24 chars), so it was probably something you wanted to change either way. Of course, we, the players, have to get used to the names either way, but that's not a valid reason for questionable name changes. Just being honest with you, of course. I admire your dedication to this mod and think most of your changes are great and make the game more enjoyable, but this was not one of those changes. I don't know what feedback you have gotten on these name changes, but at least consider this piece.

There are also icons for browse (exclamation mark) and learn (checkmark), which you can memorize if you really have a hard time telling the sections apart.

magicicons.thumb.jpg.4913d7cedc17db4fabe1c796faad001d.jpg

Really? I see no reason to use them as a speedy fighter class over ninja, other than stealing. Ninjas even have the same ranged options, or very close. Decreasing the TP of Sneak Attack to 20/30 would be a good enough buff, it's a little TP heavy to use constantly. Maybe add automatic weapon proc, too, if that is possible (or another separate proc).

They still wouldn't replace clerics fully, they don't have mother's blessing, major heal and a few other spells. Evacuate and exorcism just means that they could be used as adequate replacements for clerics. They don't have anything other than divine magic, correct? Even though a lot of elemental spells are listed as learnable they can't actually use them.

Haven't really gotten much feedback about names, I assume it's one of those things people don't care too much about as long as they have an idea of what the spell does. If the name of the spell isn't an issue, it was fitting the name of the spell together with 'arcana' for the scroll. Anyway, if we put something most people don't care about against a usability issue, the latter is more important after all.

Rogues already have enough advantages over the ninja, they're tougher, have more versatility with full item access and traps, self haste is always good, and their ranged options are much better, as they have 2h crossbows and guaranteed status infliction with bullseye and blowguns, real solid class.

Familiar is good enough at doing its own thing, they don't need to be full divine users to be useful.

I love the mod but I've only been able to find an earlier version to play on my phone as I don't have a computer. If I could just get a ppf I could see all those great updates. I don't really have any bad things to say about the mod, it makes the game much more enjoyable. 

7 hours ago, Trajiin said:

I love the mod but I've only been able to find an earlier version to play on my phone as I don't have a computer. If I could just get a ppf I could see all those great updates. I don't really have any bad things to say about the mod, it makes the game much more enjoyable. 

No need for that, there's now an alternative patching method in the readme where you just extract the files and point the emulator to it, everything can be done on any phone.