raics

Feedback and Suggestions

337 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info before, I've always liked my generic units to be borderline with unique ones and the rt change let me do that. Out of curiosity, if I wanted to change what weapons a class had access to what would I need to change? I'm guessing it's ether in the class data itself or attached to each weapon?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi again,

I've been advancing through the game, I'm now clearing the shrines after my first clear (by the way, I found the last battle in hanging gardens before the final boss with to be very deadly, the damage the boss could dish out with the warlock spells and the 2 handed weapon + high accuracy would almost one shot any non tank unit, very scary considering the extra units in play, in comparison the last battle felt easier to handle because its only one enemy, so even if its big damage as long as its not a one shot you can handle it). I was overall very pleased with the difficulty, and it was lovely to see some necromancy spells from the templars (had never seen paranoia or some other control spells cast). Still wish poison cloud was removed from the game as it feels like a cheap trap the AI can't stop falling into.

On the removal of -ology skills, while I understand as a player you will always level anatomy (because the campaign and most battles are fought against humans) and they make an big difference in damage once they are leveled, I'm worried how the removal of said skills will affect recruitment, as having a high anatomy or whatever skill makes recruitment easy/possible from some units, and for some parts of the game recruitment is the viable way to get gear upgrades. If the recruitment is tinkered I think, at least for me, that it won't be a terrible thing.

I also found some rogue traps would crash my game (the MP recovery one didn't, but the air damage+charm did crash my game, it was on a bad weather and a dragon steped on it, don't know if this is helpful), so I've been avoiding the offensive ones, but the support ones are good.

I love how the non humanoid classes have a more specific role, though I found the limitation on summon tier 2 spells to be odd to say the least (maybe its my love for patriarch spellcasters clouding my judgment), but the familiars felt really good as a kind of hybrid caster/healer with good mobility and evasion, will probably try to squeeze one of those fairies into my team.

Finally, despite all the nerfs, archers still feel very powerful, only used my rogue with a one hand bow as a limitation of some kind (less range and less damage), and while knights and dragons couldn't be killed without big trouble (specially TP fed dragons+heals behind), any non tank units would have 0 chance, mages could squeeze in one spell but usually that was it for them, don't know if archers with double shot/tremendous shot would make it even more absurd. I don't know if gunners should be included in the discussion, as they are late game units and guns appear very late, but imho the damage they dish totally out of control for the range the guns have, and barricade is a very powerful control tool. Haven't witnessed one handed gun damage yet, hoping this one will be a bit more tame.

Outside of this I really like the balance of all the magic schools, with the buffs/debuffs available making some elements that I wouldn't have used before really nice (like ice and water) and making other schools which I felt were too good (like dark magic) fall more in line.

Thanks again for all the work you've been putting into the project.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Icemephit said:

Thanks for the info before, I've always liked my generic units to be borderline with unique ones and the rt change let me do that. Out of curiosity, if I wanted to change what weapons a class had access to what would I need to change? I'm guessing it's ether in the class data itself or attached to each weapon?

Right, the RT advantage is almost cosmetic in the mod with 6 being the most a unique can have over a generic, with ~150 on the counter every turn once the battle starts and some classes getting close to 200 it isn't really a significant factor but it's probably worth tinkering with if you want to level the field even more. As for the weapon accessibility the game does both, every class has a number for the equipment set it uses (some sets are shared) and every item has five entries with 8 sets each that mark which ones it belongs to.

 

1 hour ago, Rafos1314 said:

Still wish poison cloud was removed from the game as it feels like a cheap trap the AI can't stop falling into.

On the removal of -ology skills, while I understand as a player you will always level anatomy (because the campaign and most battles are fought against humans) and they make an big difference in damage once they are leveled, I'm worried how the removal of said skills will affect recruitment, as having a high anatomy or whatever skill makes recruitment easy/possible from some units, and for some parts of the game recruitment is the viable way to get gear upgrades. If the recruitment is tinkered I think, at least for me, that it won't be a terrible thing.

I also found some rogue traps would crash my game (the MP recovery one didn't, but the air damage+charm did crash my game, it was on a bad weather and a dragon steped on it, don't know if this is helpful), so I've been avoiding the offensive ones, but the support ones are good.

I love how the non humanoid classes have a more specific role, though I found the limitation on summon tier 2 spells to be odd to say the least (maybe its my love for patriarch spellcasters clouding my judgment)

I gave it some damage up front for the next patch, that will probably deter the AI from casting it so much as it does less than aoe spells.

The removal of racial skills means I can do some tweaks to the recruitments, for one the skill will show its actual range because racials gave it a miniscule chance to work outside of it. Books will provide a +2 bonus which means they will have visibly extended range and higher chance to work, and I also removed the limitation of one recruitment skill per character, so you can have a mediator of sorts with every one of them if you wish.

Which version are you using? The trap crash should have been fixed in 0.90a.

The only thing a patriarch can't do is healing, they're a jack of all trades among casters and can even take a few hits so the tradeoff was lack of access to top tier stuff.

Edited by raics
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, raics said:

Right, the RT advantage is almost cosmetic in the mod with 6 being the most a unique can have over a generic, with ~150 on the counter every turn once the battle starts and some classes getting close to 200 it isn't really a significant factor but it's probably worth tinkering with if you want to level the field even more. As for the weapon accessibility the game does both, every class has a number for the equipment set it uses (some sets are shared) and every item has five entries with 8 sets each that mark which ones it belongs to.

So if I understand you right, in order to add a weapon type to a particular class I need to go to every entry of every weapon of said type and mark them as belonging to said classes set? If that's the case would you remember offhand the address where crossbows start? (assuming they are all together that it)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Icemephit said:

So if I understand you right, in order to add a weapon type to a particular class I need to go to every entry of every weapon of said type and mark them as belonging to said classes set? If that's the case would you remember offhand the address where crossbows start? (assuming they are all together that it)

I can look it up later, all of them are together except for the cursed one. To make them available to a class you need to see in which one of those five entries is the class and which is the number you should add, for instance, white knight is in field 5 and you should add 4 to it to enable the item, for a shaman it would be 8.

Edited by raics
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/05/2018 at 4:23 PM, raics said:

I gave it some damage up front for the next patch, that will probably deter the AI from casting it so much as it does less than aoe spells.

The removal of racial skills means I can do some tweaks to the recruitments, for one the skill will show its actual range because racials gave it a miniscule chance to work outside of it. Books will provide a +2 bonus which means they will have visibly extended range and higher chance to work, and I also removed the limitation of one recruitment skill per character, so you can have a mediator of sorts with every one of them if you wish.

Which version are you using? The trap crash should have been fixed in 0.90a.

The only thing a patriarch can't do is healing, they're a jack of all trades among casters and can even take a few hits so the tradeoff was lack of access to top tier stuff.

I am using the 0.90 (non a)! Though I had the latest one, are the 0.90 and 0.90a savegame compatible without too much issues arising?

Glad to see the recruitment skills aren't forgoten (also the books!), looking forward to the future. I feel gathering some equipement without recruiting makes the game very grindy

On the patriarch I was regretting his loss on access on high tier stuff (T2 sumons and forbidden magic/apocryphia), but then again in vanilla I barely used forbidden magic (MP costs were prohibitive), so I mostly use him to spam stop, rattle for tp reset and the slow+leaden aoe. I understand its a fair tradeoff from mages because they have support spells and parry (too bad they can't get deflect though).

Thank you for your time and efforts.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rafos1314 said:

I am using the 0.90 (non a)! Though I had the latest one, are the 0.90 and 0.90a savegame compatible without too much issues arising?

Glad to see the recruitment skills aren't forgoten (also the books!), looking forward to the future. I feel gathering some equipement without recruiting makes the game very grindy

On the patriarch I was regretting his loss on access on high tier stuff (T2 sumons and forbidden magic/apocryphia), but then again in vanilla I barely used forbidden magic (MP costs were prohibitive), so I mostly use him to spam stop, rattle for tp reset and the slow+leaden aoe. I understand its a fair tradeoff from mages because they have support spells and parry (too bad they can't get deflect though).

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Sure, just update it properly and there should be zero issues, you can even update from vanilla to the mod and the save will still work, special units will just have higher stats and everyone will have different gear equipped because it moved around.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2018 at 10:49 AM, raics said:

I can look it up later, all of them are together except for the cursed one. To make them available to a class you need to see in which one of those five entries is the class and which is the number you should add, for instance, white knight is in field 5 and you should add 4 to it to enable the item, for a shaman it would be 8.

Any luck with the weapon location? I don't want to bother you too much but I'm terrible when it comes to finding things.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Icemephit said:

Any luck with the weapon location? I don't want to bother you too much but I'm terrible when it comes to finding things.

You didn't read the PM I sent?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raics said:

You didn't read the PM I sent?

Oops, must have missed seeing that somehow; guess i don't scroll to the top of the screen enough

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are a god Sir!

I thought I was good when I created a custom save file with all uniques and their default base stats (but powered up because you had 50 characters so leveling them all would take forever...) (it did end up with some characters being godly (Lans Tartaros)

But with your mod, I am only wondering if I would still be able to use codes in the same way on the original version or has all the data been altered so that using the same codes would now cause unknown effects.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZaruenVoresu said:

You are a god Sir!

I thought I was good when I created a custom save file with all uniques and their default base stats (but powered up because you had 50 characters so leveling them all would take forever...) (it did end up with some characters being godly (Lans Tartaros)

But with your mod, I am only wondering if I would still be able to use codes in the same way on the original version or has all the data been altered so that using the same codes would now cause unknown effects.

I've been careful not to move anything for that very reason so most, if not all codes will work.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you shouldn't take out the -ology skills. This game is all about to specialize units and those skills are part of that. I have a hammer user specialized in golems and lizards, a dragoon for dragons and beasts, a light magic user for umbras, an archer for fairies and so on...

If you take them out we will lose a part of the customization.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Darius87 said:

I think you shouldn't take out the -ology skills. This game is all about to specialize units and those skills are part of that. I have a hammer user specialized in golems and lizards, a dragoon for dragons and beasts, a light magic user for umbras, an archer for fairies and so on...

If you take them out we will lose a part of the customization.

I'll test it out and see what the feedback looks like. I respect attempts at role playing, but the issue is that for most players it isn't customization, it boils down to slap anatomy on, watch it rank up and become ridiculously effective against most enemies, never consider anything else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Maybe you can eliminate only anatomy because 90% of enemies are humans but leave the rest of the -ology skills and balance the game from there. Although I still prefer to leave it as it is.

Edited by Darius87
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definitely prefer getting rid of all ology skills. Removing the need for all these extra skills adds alot of choices for the remaining usage of the skill slots..

However,  I am not sure what the general consensus is on this dilemma. 

So it is up to you Raics.

I agree a good compromise would be to atleast remove anatomy since that would mean the other  skills would not be as necessary anyways.

Anatomy is definitely one of the bigger problems

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Leaving anatomy aside, the rest of the -ology skill give you more options, they are optional. By removing them we are losing options. If you want to speciallize a unit to fight specific races you use them. If not, you don't have to.

Edited by Darius87
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new version is up, we'll see how it's going to work out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The racial removals combined with the recruit skill changes are a tad awkward. Wizard learns Coax but can't learn Herpetology for example. I understand why you would block Berserker & Warrior from using Herpetology (so lizards can't use their own racial per your patch notes), but Wizards should either be able to learn & use Herpetology or Coax should be moved somewhere the lizard racial is an option... at least in my opinion since Lizards can't be Wizards (they have P/Matriarch instead).

BUG:

Custom Sprite people are invisible in cutscenes that occur prior to battles (Donnalto when you get him, Grion at Bordo Marsh - Donnalto becomes visible once the battle actually starts, Grion does not so he's just a shadow on the ground very hard to see).

Edited by ronnen
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

That's because of lamias, they're also reptilians and they have access to wizard class, when I get to tweaking class accessibility I'll sort some of those out. The alternative is removing racial skills altogether and this is probably the lesser evil, also gives humanoid and monster classes a nice selling point as you can make them into manhunters/maneaters.

Didn't expect the game not to have the terror knight sprite loaded at that point, when it does it works fine as you can see below, I'll have to check what can be done about it.

 

ULES01500_00027.jpg

Edited by raics
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Did you...remove Oz and Ozma's pissy fit ranged attack? Young man, you put that back this instant.

Seriously though, I just reached chapter 4 in the new playthrough, and I think it's time to do something about the exp curve. The player shouldn't have to grind levels while going through the story the first time (not to mention the classes you get way late), the way it is right now you reach the hanging gardens at level 17-18 and enemies are way higher. Even the shop equipment is two tiers ahead, at times. The first Damasc pieces showed up and my highest level is still 14.

Keeping it this slow also exacerbates the gaps in weapon availability. Your 2H bow options is stuck at the level 7 Longbow for 2 whole chapters.

Edited by Valenhil
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Ozma's is still there but it didn't feel as fitting for Oz, he's a bit more about brawn but I have no strong convictions about that so I could give it back.

The gap is larger because bows have two weapons less in the baldur-damasc range, I could fix that but can't do anything about the exp curve yet. I's still considerably less grinding than in snes version or FFT, have you been just going for the leader, maybe, or had a lot of evacs? My no knockdown full clear playthrough is at ch4 start and they're level 16-17 without grinding to enemy's 15, the only class I've doubled up is the cleric. If the game rewards you with no grinding for tight play I'd call that a good thing.

Edited by raics
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get the scene to continue the Cressida questline. So I can't evacuate Oelias? There's no way I can finish that before she dies.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Valenhil said:

Didn't get the scene to continue the Cressida questline. So I can't evacuate Oelias? There's no way I can finish that before she dies.

Yeah, you can't, if you evacuate her and hobyrim in chaos route they aren't present to trigger their after battle dialogue. That's what the blessing stone upgrade is for, you raise a unit by evacuating the user (which is why denam can't use them since last patch).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Oh, and I've only going straight for the leader in Galgastan missions for the CF, and am yet to evac anyone. But this is the same as my last playthrough, there's 2 spots where the level difference gets really bad: end of chapter 3, I usually go to Xeod Moors with baldur weaponry for quick clears to catch up, but it happens again right at the end of the game, last play I just pushed through and had 4 units lose a heart to the final boss for it, because it's easy to bully Uram in the first chapter 4 fight for exp with the WORLD.

Edited by Valenhil
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now