Sign in to follow this  
warioman91

Was Interested In BNW but already turned off by the opening

11 posts in this topic

I was under the impression I was really just getting a re-balanced game to "improve" things that were lacking.

For example it was cool to read that the RNG system was replaced with proper pseudo RNG, and all the other decisions that were made in regard to creating a better set of decisions from the player.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, starting the game.....

First thing I do is explore the nooks and crannies.

Try to leave Narshe the way you came.

"NO! BAD PLAYER!"

Okay I get it....but it just pulled me out of the game's atmosphere. I'm expecting the script to keep it the same, not a bunch of touches to it for no other reason than because you could.

Then you get to the game's first boss....whelp(Ymir)

"Whatever you do, DO NOT ATTACK THE SHELL"------The boss no longer hides in his shell(and the HP was dropped dramatically).

I get that the boss is just a tutorial in the OG version, and it kinda drags on with how long you have to wait.

This fight however could have easily remained mechanically intact and just changed the boss hp so that you only had to sit through one "turtling". Or further make it so that the fast acting player can kill it before it turtles. (That is to use the menus fast and use the highest damage abilities[missile].....oh but all the other abilities were removed from the Magitek armor in this mod)

 

So, I fear the rest of the game will rub me the wrong way as well.

Edited by warioman91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, warioman91 said:

I was under the impression I was really just getting a re-balanced game to "improve" things that were lacking.

You are. Press on past the tutorial if you want to experience that. The dumbing down of the intro sequence is not reflective of the game at large. You don't have the tools at your disposal at this point in the game for Whelk to be a meaningful battle, and the space required to provide those tools is better allocated elsewhere.

13 hours ago, warioman91 said:

First thing I do is explore the nooks and crannies.

Try to leave Narshe the way you came.

"NO! BAD PLAYER!"

Okay I get it....but it just pulled me out of the game's atmosphere. I'm expecting the script to keep it the same, not a bunch of touches to it for no other reason than because you could.

Yeah, you might not have a fun time then. A few over-the-top Relm or Setzer lines, gags (like the one you noted here), and pop-culture references aside, the script isn't that bad, and doesn't track all that far from the spirit of the original. The original Woolsey script is, frankly, nothing special; and if you can accept that there's room for improvement and press on with an open mind, maybe you'll be okay. If not, your loss, I guess – I think everything else the mod has to offer would very nearly excuse the rest of the script being plagiarized verbatim from some 13-year-old's FF6 fanfic, frankly.

Edited by SirNewtonFig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brave New World is, as you can tell already, very different from vanilla. You should not let your first 15 minutes of play time judge the entire mod. This hack is not just a re-balancing of the game, but more like a complete overhaul. As for Whelk's turtling, previous versions did in fact have the boss go into his shell one time throughout the fight; however, this really just wasted the player's time. Unlike vanilla Whelk is not the "tutorial" boss, Vargas is. Many things have been cut back on since vanilla, such as the elemental beams that took up coding space. The game will start to feel much better once you have reached South Figaro as it will provide you with some actual options for your characters. The tutorial school might come off as demeaning to some people, as it emphasizes the fact that if you haven't played the mod before then you are a new player. But here's the thing: the game is right. The tutorial school may be just one big text dump, but it is a very vital and necessary text dump that will provide you with all the knowledge you need in order to play the game "correctly." If you play on you will see that this game provides quite the challenge. Play on until you have defeated Vargas, that should provide you with enough game play to form a solid opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was absolutely no reason to drag out the Whelk fight, especially considering that the thing he was meant to teach (the active battle system) was coded out of Brave New World.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that if you continue to dislike the script, there is a vanilla script translation included in the "translations" folder that removes all fourth wall breaks like that and makes the script more like vanilla dialogue (but still with all the strict improvements of BNW's script."

For example, the "NO! Bad player!" line if you leave is simply replaced by "The Esper is here somewhere."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, rate immersion highly in RPG's so I'd be down for a non-referential & non-fourth-wall breaking script, but alas we don't live in a perfect world and the stuff that matters most (character dialogue) BNW gets so right that it far outweighs the bad for me. If only someone took it upon themselves to do an edition where the stuff in question is changed but everything else is the same, now that would be the tits..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Hapanpappa said:

If only someone took it upon themselves to do an edition where the stuff in question is changed but everything else is the same, now that would be the tits..

 

Well, have I got a deal for you!

 

On 7/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, Deschain said:

Note that if you continue to dislike the script, there is a vanilla script translation included in the "translations" folder that removes all fourth wall breaks like that and makes the script more like vanilla dialogue (but still with all the strict improvements of BNW's script."

For example, the "NO! Bad player!" line if you leave is simply replaced by "The Esper is here somewhere."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, well I certainly didn't interpret "more like vanilla dialogue" as "the dialogue is exactly the same as in BNW save for fourth wall breaks", but maybe I'm reading into it wrong... I mean I'm seriously allergic to this game's vanilla script after playing BNW so I automatically disregard anything that even alludes to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, it sounds like it would do a wholesale revert to the Woolsey script, but from what I understand, its purpose is to do exactly what you're looking for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply put, you can't take Brave New World and apply vanilla's script to it. A lot has changed/removed/added to the point where much demand to be rewritten simply to be factually correct and actually work. So making a "vanilla-style" script means taking Brave New World's script and making it LOOK like the vanilla script.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2020 at 6:24 AM, Hapanpappa said:

Hmm, well I certainly didn't interpret "more like vanilla dialogue" as "the dialogue is exactly the same as in BNW save for fourth wall breaks", but maybe I'm reading into it wrong... I mean I'm seriously allergic to this game's vanilla script after playing BNW so I automatically disregard anything that even alludes to it.

Yes the vanilla patch in the translation folder does EXACTLY what you're looking for :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this