abyssonym

BNW Randomizer

31 posts in this topic

While we're here, and I feel dumb asking - but what exactly does randomizing the RNG do? I'm not really sure I understand.

What do you mean?

In the randomizer, one of the options is "Randomize RNG." I mean, I understand what RNG is - but given that the RNG is just that, random number generator, I'm just not sure what randomizing it actually does. What effect/difference should I be seeing? I really can't tell.

It randomizes the randomness?
I would guess this is more an option for advanced FF6 nerds - those that know how to abuse the default RNG, e.g. when encounters happen, how to force certain drops?

The most obvious change might be encounter distribution; you'd probably still have the same amount of total encounters if you loop once through the RNG fully but with this they might be distributed differently, like the first 5 encounter come very soon and then you see a long time nothing.

If FF6 has a way to seed the initial RNG forcibly this shuffle would make that technique void.

Just a guess though.

ah, maybe i got it... since vanilla RNG sucks, that option might allow to use an actual RNG: i know there are 1 or 2 patches that tweak vanilla RNG, still i don't know if in this case Abyss used his own RNG customization though.

What do the optional patches do?  For reference they are:

splash_removal

myself_core

myself_menu_dance

myself_menu_item