praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

Current Version: v2.060, 2021/05/08

Sister thread (probably down forever)

Major features:

• Equipment offers various bonuses instead of a simple attack and defense progression
  • Rebalanced classes, stats and spells, almost everything is usable now
  • Modified formulas that keep even high level techs useful
  • Expanded inbattle options with running, regular strong attacks and counter techs
  • Passive MP regeneration with high cost spells: be smart with your magic
  • Extensive boss AI changes
  • Accelerated level curve: from class changing at the earliest mana stone to facing the final boss at the level cap
  • Transformed the shield slot into a second accessoire slot for everyone, shields count as regular accessoires
  • Increased inventory capacity to 20 per item type instead of 9
  • Tons of bugfixes ranging from agility stats not working to Kevin's wolfform stacking attack bonuses
  • 5 difficulties to choose from, covering the spectrum from "easier than vanilla" to "Atlus would be proud"

Roadmap until v1.0

Spoiler

bosses:

• Darkshine Knight
  • Koren
  • Dragon Emperor
  • Jagan
  • Bigeau
  • Archdemon

missing items:

• final weapon for Lord
  • final weapon for Duelist
  • final weapon for Ninjamaster
  • final weapon for Nightblade
  • final weapon for Grand Divina
  • final weapon for Archmage
  • final weapon for Magus
  • final weapon for Vanadise
  • final weapon for Starlancer

Potential ideas towards v2.0

Spoiler
  • class capstone at level 68 (akin to a 3rd mini class, probably via one of the dummy items)

Edited by praetarius5018

I have to ask, what difficulty would you recommend for a person that hasn't played this game in ages and would eventually like to play it again? Obviously "Psychotic chaos mode of doom" doesn't seem like the right one, but "easier than Vanilla" seems... Not very fun. 

I'd say go with normal.

Easy is roughly where vanilla would sit, imo, and that is where I'd send a real beginner.
Well, vanilla minus some crap with the vanilla Lv3 tech formula that had a chance to give you a gameover when two random endgame enemies decide to give their FST; you know the 500+ damage to the whole team, just because, even against maxed defense.
In this hack, you should be able to survive two of those FSTs even on hard, at least if you've given defense some thought.

On normal I already expect you to make use of buffs and/or debuffs. On hard they are the bare minimum later.
If you find yourself needing to use a buff even for random fights come Lv50+, that is par for the course.

Of course this isn't a free win. Dolan will probably win at least once even on the easiest setting.

And to avoid the average "expert traps":

• black market no longer replaces party building, too expensive for 24/7
  • Lv1 techs aren't strictly safer to use, neither are Lv2/3 techs always superior, you may want to change those for some situations.
  • the one or other boss "randomly" hitting for 999 is not a bug
  • (de)buffs are not only for bosses

Have fun.

v0.900, Lise/Hawk story complete

• changed AI and stats of Jagan
  • changed AI and stats of Bigieu
  • changed AI and stats of Archdemon
  • Magus' final weapon "Dragon Rod" now allows multi-targetted damage spells to deal damage as if they were single-targetted
  • Vanadise's final weapon "True Spear" now fakes the element of non-elemental spells according to the active saber element for resistance, weakness and immunity purposes but not absorb, reflect or hp/mp heal
  • Starlancer's final weapon "Stargazer" now grants quick casting speed and a small increase to spell damage
  • minor adjustment to defense calculation
  • increased bonus from "magic up" weapons by 50%
  • doubled heal bonus from Wendel armors
  • fixed one instance of Gorva casting "Evil Gate" but announcing "Dark Force"
  • fixed some weirdness with moon elemental spells, they no longer apply the damage to the wrong party (caster and target was switched since vanilla)
  • fixed missing damage cap for regular attacks after day of week bonus
  • fixed enemy HP getting capped at 999 after maxHP buffs
  • moved 999 heal cap from before "pressure" penalty to afterwards, allowing honey to profit from stronger heal items if under the effect of this state

well, complete minus two of Hawk's weapons, those are still to-do...

I'm a fan of the Rogue final weapon added some updates ago so I'm looking forward to what you have in store for the dark classes.

It'll be a surprise to myself, too. I've currently no idea what to do with any of the missing class weapons.

Or rather, no idea that I can code (RAM likes to be a limitation), is useful and not OP at the same time.

Hi

Can magic animation durations be highly shortened and/or while they are on, having the game to continue playing? (As in Secret of mana)

This would give unbeliveable gameplay

*sigh*

I get this idea so often... the answer remains the same, no because:

• the game is already dieing when spells are used; just go 10h without save/load, just with savestates, the game will hard crash every other spell cast. I once read an article that this also happened on console. this would make it 10 times worse
  • horribly unbalanced: if it works like in SOM1, target being completely frozen and everyone else can still act/attack, well, easy mode would be understatement of the year; also boring.

So we just got to Mispolm on our three-way playthrough (Rogue/Vanadis/Archmage), and we don't know what the HELL is going on.

This is awesome.

Fiegmund was pretty crazy too, nice one. Really looking forward to the AI changes on Bigieu/Jagan/Dark Prince.

:pipeguy:

EDIT: HOLY FUCK CAN'T BELIEVE WE KILLED IT

Edited by Kanji

Yep. Well, not sure if it did that much damage (the numbers come out way too fast and I freak out too much over my HP to read them), but the damage was solid and we definitely freaked out a little too much about trying figuring out a 'way around this guy's mechanic'. Ended up just attacking a lot and it worked out. Still super painful tho and the win was kind of a fluke. Good times.

On 23/05/2017 at 11:16 PM, praetarius5018 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Did you use Lv2/3 techs against Mispolm and see it deal regular+999 damage?

Edited by Kanji

Shit, still playing this awesome hack regularly with friends. Really impressive what you've done since I first stumbled upon it back in 2015, super excited for what's to come! Particularly Angela's remaining weapons since I have an inclination towards playing her, hah.

I apologize if it's been asked already, but would you be willing to do anything with the 3-player hack to disable automatic character takeovers? Figuring out controller shenanigans over netplay mid-fight is the only legitimately frustrating thing about multiplayer, but I know you generally want nothing to do with that madness - just figured I may as well ask and see where you stand on this issue specifically, and whether removing the death heirarchy is simple or not.

In any case, thank you for the weeks of entertainment and nostalgia you've provided! You clearly have a talent for game design.

Anybody got any tips on Dolan?

I can't figure out what causes Spiral Moon to do 999 damage. At first I thought it was dependent on how much damage I deal and that I need to slow roll the fight, but it seems that no matter what eventually he casts a 999 damage version that I can't deal with at all.

10 hours ago, Riddle said:

I apologize if it's been asked already, but would you be willing to do anything with the 3-player hack to disable automatic character takeovers? Figuring out controller shenanigans over netplay mid-fight is the only legitimately frustrating thing about multiplayer, but I know you generally want nothing to do with that madness - just figured I may as well ask and see where you stand on this issue specifically, and whether removing the death heirarchy is simple or not.

I already tried to have a look at the controls to enable L/R/select switching off a character that is casting. the results were... weird. and headache inducing.
So, probably not. Sorry.

9 hours ago, WarpedLichen said:

Anybody got any tips on Dolan?

I can't figure out what causes Spiral Moon to do 999 damage. At first I thought it was dependent on how much damage I deal and that I need to slow roll the fight, but it seems that no matter what eventually he casts a 999 damage version that I can't deal with at all.

999 damage is a reaction to something he did and you didn't do.
Try to look closer what happens before the 1st and 2nd spiral moon. And then think of an "answer" to it.
It shouldn't be spoiled too much if I say that any party composition can deliver that "answer".

Spoiler

Well I managed to beat him by using a tech on him after Energy Ball, but I have no idea if I got lucky or if that was the intended answer.

Edited by WarpedLichen

So I upgraded to 0.9 and I seem to be getting suddenly steamrolled by enemies - they're doing double damage to me compared to 0.87. Is this a bug or have things changed that drastically diliberately?

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

Did you use the normal difficulty patch in 0.87 but not with 0.9?

Yeah, I just figured that out. Thank you!

v0.925

• changed AI and stats of Darkshine Knight
  • changed AI and stats of Koren
  • Lord's final weapon "Sigmund" now strengthens Lv2/3 based on the target's attack power and puts the target into the counterable state
  • Duelist's final weapon "Deathbringer" now increases Lv2/3 damage based on proximity to the target(s)
  • Grand Divina's final weapon "Ganvantein" now grants saber effects when casting elemental spells on allies
  • Archmage's final weapon "Spirit Cane" now allows spells to hit weaknesses for 200% damage instead of 150%
  • added a variable bonus to counter attack power based on the target enemy, e.g. knights and crawler take a lot more bonus damage than mages
  • increased attack strength of Bulette and Gold Bulette
  • added magic damage to a couple status inflicting specials of regular enemies
  • changed Grell's Funky Dance from "energy ball" to self heal
  • changed Kerberos' and Firedrake's fire breath from inflicting dummy state to poison
  • increased Harpy's Talon drain from 10% maxHP to 20%
  • increased Carmilla Queen's Bloody Dance from 12.5% maxHP to 33%
  • reduced Slime Prince's red glowing attack from 50% HP damage to 25%
  • fixed a bug in counterattack timing
  • fixed a bug that gave some enemies 0% chance to hit with status ailments in trap rooms

one more boss, just one more boss till 1.0 O.o

So close - I was holding off my run at the Dark Shine Knight and now I can continue.

Hoping the new version is much improved compared to ridiculously op enemy that gets stuck on walls.

Nah, he's more of that; the AI is just hopeless around obstacles.
Stats are even more OP than before.

Spoiler

Although your counter attacks are another story.

He's build around a proper duel including waiting for an opening and using it, Dark Souls style.

Do you have the bosses with special conditions documented somewhere in a text file? Like at least a hint so people know what to expect? I doubt the game itself gives warnings, like with Ludgar and now that boss. 

Only the cryptic nonsense in the monster_bosses.xls where even I half the time don't know wtf I meant...

What special conditions do you mean exactly? Or could you give me an explicit example of what you'd like to have here?