praetarius5018

Final Fantasy V: Void Divergence - Discussion

62 posts in this topic

Oracle

FF5_oracle.png

learns skills in order:
!Recover, !Predict, Turbo MP, !Fate, Enigma

Enigma - innate, grants chance to dodge spells like aegis shield, though at 20% instead of 33% and does not stack, shield takes priority

!Predict - 8 spells; each can be only used once per battle, execution requires a cast time of about 2 turns (double of !Jump), all 8 are unlocked by default

• Deluge: deals water/ice ground-type damage to all enemies
  • Hurricane: deals wind damage to all enemies, extra strong against heavy enemies
  • Plague: deals level-based poison damage to all enemies, can inflict poison and blind
  • Dark Fog: can inflict poison, blind, mute, paralyze, stop to all enemies
  • Starfall: deals high random-type ice/earth damage to all enemies
  • Calamity: deals high fire/earth damage to all enemies, sets terrain elements to earth/fire
  • Blessing: heal entire party, cures poison and blind
  • Judgment: deals high holy/bolt damage to all enemies, heal party based on damage dealt

!Fate - single target offensive spell but the effect changes based on the caster's name;
potential effects include:

• magic damage (regular, def piercing or own HP based)
  • HP drain to self or party
  • one or more of various status effects: blind, poison, mini, toad, petrify, mute, berserk, charm, paralyze, sleep, old, slow, stop

What does this Oracle variant have in common with the vanilla Oracle? {NULL}

Spoiler

The original was - at least for me - not usable.
Spells seemed to be choosen at random but weren't, they are decided by the caster's MP single digit, with a couple of the spells killing your party.
Damage was also not dependant on your own stats, only the single digit HP of the target mattered; that +1 is a direct damage multiplier - and guess what: most monster start with xxx0 HP.
No thanks, regular magic damage but with higher power and a delay with no action to kill my party seems much more appropriate to me.

Posted (edited)

Noticed something odd. Steal adds an element to the field. I think it's either the item stolen or the... bottle-element? if it fails.

Seems pretty fun so far. In the ship graveyard running with a Knight, Tinker, Thief, and Black Mage so far. Only died once, because I had run straight to the wind temple without going to town and fought the boss with Bartz wearing a ruby. Not the best idea.

Edited by TauzentBlitz

Steal should have the poison element - though that doesn't affect the action itself; the upgraded form uses your weapon's element because there it is part of the attack.

I hope you read the beginner's house, it should explain the most important new things.

I'm half sad that a visit to the town is almost required - and half not because that way the chance is higher that people get some info from the info dump beginner's house.
This way Raptor is the most likely candidate to win the "hardest boss in the game" award :/

Btw. which scan HP display is preferable?
just the total HP, not hinting at things like HP break points

FF5_doped_dragon.png

or a proper split into effective HP and number of remaining segments (LP)

FF5_void_divergence055.png

there was quite a bit of confusion over the HP values so far...
like the boss has 3k left, was hit for 2x 2k (x-magic) and then another x-fight - and he was only down to 1k HP.
Turns out the first point of reference was about 500 HP from the next threshold, so 3.5k damage wasted from the x-magic.

The thing is, if I managed to steal a potion it then adds ice on top.

Oh, right - well that's a quirk of how I added the element icon addition;
I just read what is displayed in the top dialog.
So when it says "[ice]Potion stolen" it sees the [ice] and adds that to the list.

I was at one point thinking about having Gilgamesh break the 4th wall and just shout his preferred elements in his banter to change the field to his needs.

16 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

Btw. which scan HP display is preferable?

I'd say the second one with the split values looks much better, as you can process the information quicker by checking how many "lives" the boss has left

Posted (edited)

Well, technically you're not supposed to bother with the boss live mechanic.
That's mostly for me so I can give more max HP and reduce the abuse power of certain skills and status effects.

In other news, next job'll be Crusader, gained at the first crystal the starter set of jobs to 8:
FF5_crusader.png

learns skills in order:

Endure, !Esemte, !Slash, Heal Amp, Pierce

!Esemte - again a set of 8 skills, this time the gimmick is that they are cast from HP (in %, not absolute numbers; the most expensive one costs 14%)

• Cruzfire: physical attack that hits all enemies
  • Recover: Cure but a bit weaker
  • Execute: single target physical attack
  • Shout: hits all enemies for some ice VIT-based damage and lowers their magic power
  • Size Up: very weak physical attack that reduces defenses and evasion
  • Growth: maxHP x2 (same as one mix outcome, not stackable)
  • Shield Bash: single target physical attack, only strong with shield equipped; then it gains damage bonus based on defense
  • Cover: toggle Cover on or off on self

new skills are unlocked based on current HP; get hit too much and you may forget how to heal

(if you still can't guess what this references, blame Atlus for the inspiration)

Edited by praetarius5018

v0.710

• added abilities for Crusader job
  • can now speed up spell animations by holding any of the 4 face buttons
  • changed HP display in !Scan, now displays HP per segment instead of total value
  • scan now shows if the target is undead
  • reverted save anywhere
  • changed the way defense is used in damage calculation from (atk - def) * m to (atk - defA) * m * (250 - defB) / 256
    for player defA=defB = regular def
    for monster defB is globally 100 if neutral and defA = (VIT * defB) / 256; VIT for monster is their unmodified level, capped at 70
  • reduced weakness damage from x2 to x1.5
  • increased attack power of weapons by about 80%
  • adjusted defense modifying effects
    defense piercing moves now ignore 50% defense and have -25% attack (works out to a break even on neutral defense)
    defense halving spells now decrease defense by an amount that would result in the target taking 20% more damage compared to before for each cast, capped at 0 defense
    axes treat defense as if one extra cast of guard off was used
    changed spellblade/tempr from 25% defense ignoring to flat -20
    changed spellblade/flare from 100% defense ignoring to only 50%
    elemental absorb keeps def = 0 but also gets atk/2
  • moved shop items around, including adding a wind type shield to the first shop
  • added several previously unobtainable items to shops, including slayer knife, legend jewel, hero shield, ...
  • adjusted several item prices
  • shields no longer add defense or magic defense; all standard elemental shields have fixed 15% evade
  • HP leak now provides damage numbers
  • HP leak is now blocked if the damage part of the original attack was absorbed
  • status effect duration for stop, stun and doom is now affected by the weakness to said element; e.g. if weak to water doom gives 15 "seconds" instead of 30
  • fixed certain status durations getting cut in half
  • single target physical skills can now use the regular weapon attack animation instead of a pseudo spell animation
  • changed Potion heal from 50-1250 to 60-1200, heal at 3x (starting value) is up from 64 to 75; old value = new value was at 68x
  • changed Hi-Potion heal from 120-2500 to 250-3000
  • increased attack power for unarmed attacks with brawl ability
  • increased cooldown for Hi-Potions from 5 to 7
  • replaced potion in beginner house with hi-potion
  • increased time for the karnak castle escape from 10:00 to 15:03 minutes
  • fixed a bug that made goblin punch apply the temper bonus twice
  • fixed a bug that turned damage randomly to 4 digits
  • fixed a bug that caused softlock on killing stopped enemies
  • fixed a bug that made physical skills target magic defense
  • fixed a bug in the end of turn calculation that could cause a variety of bugs, like soft potions not working or crashing the game
  • fixed a bug that granted shards on escape from random encounters after beating a boss
  • fixed startup time of !Jump
  • flagged Gilgamesh's jump attack properly as earth elemental
  • finesse/weaken now also lowers magic evade
  • heavy type enemies now add 2 field icons per action
  • enemies affected with mini/toad now keep their names
  • fixed an issue with displaying 4 enemy type names; ignored 4th+ name (only space for 3 names anyway)
  • altered monster speed curve by level, difficulty, species modifier
  • increased gold drop from monster in main game, reduced for ng+
  • increased monster exp gain at low levels, decreased for high levels
  • monster attack power modifier no longer varies by difficulty
  • increased influence of level on monster damage from 5 to 8 and reduced early game damage

I just wanted to say that I'm playing the game and having a great time and wanted to thank you for making this. It's a wonderful hack. Thank you!

Thank you for your making!

By the way , I want to save anywhere. Please tell me which value of address in Binary Editor I should change.

2B291 10 F1 -> EA EA
2CFFF D0 09 -> 80 09

however, you're on your own then.
I've managed to permanently lose job crystals with this by saving and loading in the 2nd crystal room,
the shards disappear and the script continues as if you have collected them, but the jobs do not appear in the job menu.

It's awesome! Thank you so much. and I understood the problem.Thank you for your instruction. It really helped!!