Sign in to follow this  
Deschain

Suggestion: make battle for Narshe save point red

14 posts in this topic

My wife is playing through BNW, and she took Banon as the last of the three paths, so when she got to Narshe and the Battle for Narshe started, she didn't have a save to go back to to buy healing items, and all of her dudes were low from the trip. I suggest that, to alleviate this issue a little bit, that save point be changed to a red save point so you can at least fully heal everyone before the battle starts without using your precious few remaining items.

I'd say that it'd be better to just have the event that starts the battle (talking to Banon) also be a full heal. I'm only saying this under the assumption that a red save point would only heal Terra or the person selected.

This is less of an issue than described. The lineup menu restores everyone fully except for MP, so you'll always start the battle with full HP at least.

It would look better if everyone were restored via event before you regain control of Terra. Having the lineup menu restore MP is also an option.

Line-up menu being a full restore is better, just in case the player is indecisive about who gets Green Beret, Knight Cape, or Magic Cube during equip phase, switching those gears around which fiddles with exact HP/MP numbers.

Could have Banon mention that he'll fully heal you once you're ready, so that the player knows that a full heal is coming once they're ready. Would help with this whole issue.

EDIT: there was a problem with the patch, causing items to be wrongly added to the inventory. I've updated the patch and it seems to work correctly now, although it might still require more testing. Testers, please be on the lookout for any unexpected happenings after you name a character or access the lineup menu.

Here's a patch that does that and changes the battle to two parties instead of three, as per @BTB's wishes. The event command that restores HP to full now also restores MP to full. I've looked through the event bank and I haven't found any places where it would matter - full HP restore commands are typically accompanied by full MP restore commands, and in the cases where they aren't (character recruitment, mostly), the characters don't even have a Magic command or visible/accessible MP yet. I'd recommend a playthrough from the beginning up to the Narshe battle, to consider this thoroughly tested.

Can't access my Dropbox at the moment so I hope Discord works.

Code for the Lineup Menu MP restore fix:

Spoiler

;xkas 0.06
hirom
;header
org $C0AED5 
JMP $AF3E ;After restoring HP, also fully restore MP

Event code for changing the 3-party battle at Narshe to a 2-party battle:

Spoiler

;Change Narshe three-party battle to a two-party battle

;Change number of parties to 2
org $CCC665
db $99,$82,$00,$00    ;Invoke party selection screen (2 groups) (force characters: [$0000])

;Change starting position of party 1
;Before Kefka's arrival
org $CCC69B
db $D5,$13,$0A        ;Set vehicle/entity's position to (19, 10)
;After Kefka's arrival
org $CCC85D
db $D5,$13,$0A        ;Set vehicle/entity's position to (19, 10)

;Change starting position of party 2
;Before Kefka's arrival
org $CCC6AA
db $D5,$15,$0A        ;Set vehicle/entity's position to (21, 10)
;After Kefka's arrival
org $CCC86C
db $D5,$15,$0A        ;Set vehicle/entity's position to (21, 10)

Edited by seibaby

Thanks! Just curious as to the reason for wanting two parties? Is it so you can't simply block the entrances with two characters?

6 hours ago, Echoherb said:

Thanks! Just curious as to the reason for wanting two parties? Is it so you can't simply block the entrances with two characters?

You still can block the entrances with two characters. The change to two parties is because 7 party members isn't really enough to make 3 solid, reliable, and fun teams.

13 hours ago, Nowea said:

You still can block the entrances with two characters. The change to two parties is because 7 party members isn't really enough to make 3 solid, reliable, and fun teams.

You can block the entrances, but you would have to wait out the entire battle instead of rushing to the finish with a third party. Which I think would make the battle a lot more strategic and difficult.

Can't you just put the secondary party directly in front of Bannon to guard him while the primary party goes around hunting all the soldiers?
Or do some of the soldiers end up hitting Bannon from the side?

8 hours ago, A Dummy said:

Can't you just put the secondary party directly in front of Bannon to guard him while the primary party goes around hunting all the soldiers?
Or do some of the soldiers end up hitting Bannon from the side?

Nope, bannon is standing in a spot where the guards can flank him from the side. I kinda remember protecting bannon like that in the original game, so I'm not sure if it was changed to be that way or not.