Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nowea

Nowea Hard Type

17 posts in this topic

Download and patch directly onto your BNW ROM.

After TENS OF MINUTES of work I'm ready to release my modification to Brave New World. This is deliberately designed to be harder in a "FF3usME stat hack" style. @seibaby helped a bunch.

Changelog below:

• V1:
  • ATB formula changed so that enemy ATB fills twice as quickly.
  • Esper Levels that grant HP now grant half the HP
  • Warp and Warp Whistle made 33.33x more expensive.

• V2:
  • Lowered ATB multipliers for slow/normal/haste by 5 each due to an overflow error causing hasted enemies to have very few turns
  • Made the timer for status ticks constant, so that they are no longer affected by other status effects like Slow, Haste, Sleep, and Stop

• V3:
  • Removed the Warp and Warp Whistle price hike
Edited by Nowea

5 minutes ago, BTB said:

This looks like how FF6A was made.

Dragon's Den is the greatest dungeon of all time.

4 hours ago, Echoherb said:

So you took the game and made it less fun :P

I made it harder for anyone that felt like "I want to play BNW... but different"

Less fun for most, yes.

Updated for V2, fixing a boss-breaking overflow error and tweaking status timers.

V3 made, it's slightly less stupid now that there's no price hike on Warp and Warp Whistle.

Played a bit of RC14 Nowea Hard Type.

Had a near wipe on the pincer introductory Narshe Fight. Bad luck would've wiped one or both of Biggs and Wedge. Yikes. Had to actually Cure between battles for insurance. Whelk also killed me once because I underestimated how many Beams I could fire off before he went into his shell. Nothing truly scary, but a wake up to call that I was playing Nowea Hard Type.

Figaro & Figaro Cave are same, essentially.

Around Figaro Town & Mt. Koltz though, things get scary. First and foremost, Rock. That move is horrible. High damage, no defense against muddle, limited Remedy supply, and I'm worried that such enemy speed will make it a matter of luck as to whether or not I can endure Mt. Koltz at decent levels. Other physicals & magics are bad too, but Rock is the worst.

Edgar is going to have to go all in with speed (Iron Cutlass, Knight Cape, Buckler instead of Iron Shield), lest I fall behind on NoiseBlaster control. Terra & Locke will both need Boomerangs for the damage output, so I'm going to have to grind a bit for GP; I don't think I can turtle forever with such fast enemies. Might also grind GP for Remedies & Brawlers for Slim Jim (with EXP turned off).

That's it for now. Might get to play some more tomorrow.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

40 minutes ago, thzfunnymzn said:

Played a bit of RC14 Nowea Hard Type.

Had a near wipe on the pincer introductory Narshe Fight. Bad luck would've wiped one or both of Biggs and Wedge. Yikes. Had to actually Cure between battles for insurance. Whelk also killed me once because I underestimated how many Beams I could fire off before he went into his shell. Nothing truly scary, but a wake up to call that I was playing Nowea Hard Type.

Figaro & Figaro Cave are same, essentially.

Around Figaro Town & Mt. Koltz though, things get scary. First and foremost, Rock. That move is horrible. High damage, no defense against muddle, limited Remedy supply, and I'm worried that such enemy speed will make it a matter of luck as to whether or not I can endure Mt. Koltz at decent levels. Other physicals & magics are bad too, but Rock is the worst.

Edgar is going to have to go all in with speed (Iron Cutlass, Knight Cape, Buckler instead of Iron Shield), lest I fall behind on NoiseBlaster control. Terra & Locke will both need Boomerangs for the damage output, so I'm going to have to grind a bit for GP; I don't think I can turtle forever with such fast enemies. Might also grind GP for Remedies & Brawlers for Slim Jim (with EXP turned off).

That's it for now. Might get to play some more tomorrow.

I've yet to try NHT without grinding Terra in the mines (to 6 or 7), which helps get through the part where you don't have much option.

I'd be surprised if you can get through everything at a similar level to BNW's expected levels without resorting to LLG-level strats

I expect that the hardest part of NHT is going to be the early game. Once I get past Dadaluma, I think things will get simpler. Who knows though, maybe I'm in for a world of hurt.

What constitutes LLG-level strats? I would figure grinding for 99 Slim Jims would constitute as one.

I'd say that relying so heavily on rare steal consumables would count.

It is very possible that the challenge is front-loaded simply because of options opening up after Daddy. Unfortunately my personal run is paused for this week and nobody's played past Dadaluma to know for sure.

Defeated Mt. Koltz at lvl.7, whole team.

Spoiler

Made one "raid" into the mountain to grab the Butterfly and Power Glove, then left to re-charge for the full trip. Got enough GP for two Boomerangs, three Knight Capes, iron & mage equipment, 50 dried meats, a few phoenix downs and remedies, and a few other misc. items. Wasn't really a grind, GP came naturally with the raid I performed. I definitely wanted maximum firepower, HP, and speed for everyone; hence, the Boomerangs & Knight Capes.

Didn't die on the way to the Restore Point. Confusion + boomerang beat down kept everything in line, still stole lots of Dried Meats. Vaporites (& Rhodox in the plains), however, received a quick Fire to the face.

The spiral descent to Vargas killed me four times, each time to an AoE (Gale Cut or Snowball). Eagle x3 was the scariest fight on the mountain; confused eagles will hit each other quickly, setting you up for a Gale Cut. Had to keep at full HP at all times, and, after the initial Boomerang attack, Terra had to always be ready with an AoE Cure. Eagle/Tusker/Trilium is handled simply with Boomerang, Fire (Tusker), and then straight beatdown.

Vargas went down rather simply. And, oh my goodness, we can dodge Gale Cut now!! HUZZAH!! I definitely consider this a good change, as a Gale Cut beatdown is a little much for the game's first boss, methinks. >_>

tl;dr, aside from nasty AoEs, I overprepared and played it cautiously. More importantly, Gale Cut can be dodged now! Huzzah!!

Lete River will be more challenging.

Ultros down, everyone at lvl.8. Sabin & Sap did all the hard work, everyone else healed. Ultros moves too fast to attempt anything else. Lete River was surprisingly simple, just had to be more cautious with attacks & healing.

Start of Ed/Te/Banon scenario is rng-based; unlucky rng with misses/Blind = death by Fireball. Otherwise, same ole' boring scenario.

Sabin's scenario next up. I want Celes at highest join level as well as maximum equip options for TunnelArmor.

I did level grind up to lvl.8 at the end of Mt. Kolts, so I has 10,000 extra GP (2000 spent on Phoenix Downs) plus a few more Slim Jims.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

Sabin's Scenario defeated. Lvl.9 for all, save Gau at lvl.8.

Soul Train was roadblock. Only defeatable with a Slim Jim Sabin beatdown. Granted, Slim Jim Sabin soloed & auto-fought Soul Train. Still, Soul Train was too fast, aggressive, and strong to try anything else. Can't Suplex Slow him either because of Elf Fire counters. Life Bell Sabin might've soloed as well, but Life Bell is gotten after this battle.

Couldn't use Knight Capes. I want the stat boosts (HP, Eva, Vig, Spd), but Cover is too dangerous to use. Quite annoying. Kinda worried that this is gonna be a thing for a while. Brainstorming makes me realize that certain late-game Hero Ring set-ups are no longer ideal b/c said set-ups don't want Cover.

Otherwise, same as usual for NHT: beware of early-game magics (Ghost x2 / Ectoplasm x3 is a frustrating encounter), play cautiously, kill enemies quickly. Used lots of Dried Meats. Got a lot of cash on hand, even after Nikeah shopping.

Finished Locke's Scenario & Narshe Battle. Level 8, with a couple of dudes at level 9.

Locke's randoms were same as always. Hell Angel, otoh, was rng-dependent. Even with top speed + Sprint Shoes, Celes' Runic cannot keep up with the magical onslaught. Best chance is to bum rush the guy with Boomerang x2 + Power Glove + Black Belt. Having a Slim Jim on Locke is useful too. Still luck dependent, but thankfully, Hell Angel doesn't have too much HP.

Narshe Team was Locke, Cyan, & Figaro Bros. Steal x4 vs. Trooper x4 gives more than enough healing items, so who needs white mages? Locke's a boss. Definitely saw the faster speed vs. Trooper x4, but thankfully, having a team of bulky dudes + Life Bell + back row + NoiseBlaster is more than sufficient to handle these boogers.

Knight Cape proved to be a mistake in the Narshe Fight. Knight Cape Cyan died, first fight. Took too many hits for the team. Can't tell if it's Nowea Hard Type's faster enemies or just a mistake in using Cover this early; my guess is the latter. A little annoying, as the Knight Cape's stat boosts are nice in the early game. Cyan especially loses out, as he really likes the stat boosts but can't use it at all. Boomerang Locke can still use it though.

Hell Rider, otoh, is another rng-dependent fight. He can open the fight with Virite + Acid Rain before you can move, practically wiping your party. Sabin's Spirit Claws proc'd Stop on the fool, which was nice. Failed to steal a Black Heart: hope that doesn't bite me in the butt. Kefka's also definitely stronger (and, without Runic, more dangerous). Failed to steal Tiara before Locke dropped (failed both boss steals), so I just bum rushed the dude with big damage. Still won first try, unlike Hell Angel or Hell Rider.

Phantom Train, Hell Angel, and Hell Rider have been frustrating. The first two require specific strats without overleveling. Otherwise, nothing unbeatable yet. Yet.

But...now comes Dadaluma. We'll see if I keep my streak of keeping my levels at normal levels with this booger.

Edited by thzfunnymzn

I'm kinda surprised that Hell Angel ended up being a difficulty. On my original run it wasn't bad at all, but that may have just been that my 1 fight against him in NHT going well.

I'm enjoying hearing about this on the whole.