Sign in to follow this  
Mishrak

1.9 Beta Bug Reporting Thread

169 posts in this topic

The issue with bodyguards not taking target's statuses into account has been fixed. I've updated the link to the code in the patch thread.

What statuses does cover check for?  Image and clear should not be covered, probably muddle too (since the muddled character could end up killing  your own team, or you might want to attack the character with a brush or shiv to break muddle).

Another thought, could an attack with a spear against a teammate be covered by the attacker (a rather impressive maneuver)? That should probably be nixed too.  

Thinking a bit more on it, maybe all attacks from teammates should be ignored for cover purposes.  You could have an odd strategy of e.g., flameguard and flametongue to heal.  Also makes muddle a bit more detrimental as a status ailment.

Edited by SuperHario

5 hours ago, SuperHario said:

What statuses does cover check for?  Image and clear should not be covered, probably muddle too (since the muddled character could end up killing  your own team, or you might want to attack the character with a brush or shiv to break muddle).

Another thought, could an attack with a spear against a teammate be covered by the attacker (a rather impressive maneuver)? That should probably be nixed too.  

Thinking a bit more on it, maybe all attacks from teammates should be ignored for cover purposes.  You could have an odd strategy of e.g., flameguard and flametongue to heal.  Also makes muddle a bit more detrimental as a status ailment.

Check the Readme - everything is explained there.

Short answer is that everything you're suggesting should already be the case, and we're just running into issues that have arisen from rewriting the code.

To be more precise, the battle engine seems to crash at the early stages of battle, but not always at the same time. I had two different battles with the Narshe guards that crashed and reset the game, one immediately (the battle screen wasn't even lit up yet) and one after a few seconds.

I'm looking through the code for my latest additions to ensure I didn't screw anything up, since the only changes from RC5 to RC6 were both my code. I did test them, so I hope it's just a patch conflict caused by moving patches around or something equally simple.

Meanwhile, I happened to open RC6 in FF3usME and noticed the "Safe/Shell/Reflect" tiles are missing from the fixed-width tileset. It seems Status Display was omitted from RC6.

Edited by seibaby

So Smoke Bomb sometimes kills undead characters in the Soul Train boss fight. Video in spoilers

Spoiler

The thing is, it doesn't always kill Cyan.  I've reset the fight several times, each time using Smoke Bomb on Cyan right away, and getting different results.  Often he's killed, but sometimes it gives him Image.

So the cause has to be something random.  Maybe it's Evil Toot glitching the game?

Oh, and yeah it can happen on Shadow or Sabin as well, if they have a Ghost Ring equipped.

Edit: I've been testing it on random encounters, and it sometimes happens there as well.  One theory I tried was seeing if the run away animation was involved.  But I've seen both results from running away versus not running away during the smoke bomb.

EDIT 2: Seibaby asked me to check RC4 and 1.8.6; it happened in both.  So this has probably been a bug for a while.

Edited by Satarack

I've observed some targeting issues with Relm's Brushes when she's uncontrollable. This may be an older issue, I don't think it's something that cropped up now in the 1.9 beta.

Normally, Brushes target allies by default. But when Relm is under a status that makes her uncontrollable, the targeting is as follows:

• Muddle - Targets Allies
  • Berserk - Targets Enemies

This seems backwards. Muddle normally reverses targeting, and Berserk doesn't.

I haven't yet tested what happens with Relm wielding a Brush in the Colosseum, or under the effects of Charm or Zombie, but the expected behavior is:

• In Colosseum, target allies
  • When Charmed, target enemies
  • When Zombied, target enemies and allies randomly

Edited by seibaby

Confirmed with Think that the Smoke Bomb bug can be fixed on my end by changing its special effect flag. Apparently it's calling the anti-undead effect where it's at now (which I find hilarious for some reason).

Hoi chummers,

I just wanted to post the results of my testing of the new hacks I've written for 1.9, and let people know what needs more testing.
These are all my latest versions, which I've sent to Synchysi. They were all tested with 1.8.6.

Golem Nerf (v1)

• Golem takes more damage compared to 1.8.6: Yes

Party MP Restore (v3)

• Lineup screen restores MP: Yes
  • Cure-casting kid in Vector restores 1 HP, MP unaffected: Yes
  • Spikes in Phoenix Cave deals HP damage, MP unaffected: Yes

Life Hack (v2)

• Life restores 250..500 HP in battle: Yes
  • Life restores 250..500 HP out of battle: Yes
  • Mindblow deals Spell Power * 50 damage: Yes
  • Blow Fish deals Spell Power * 50 damage: Yes

Battle for Narshe (v2)

• You form 2 groups: Yes
  • Positions are changed and consistent between scenes: Yes
  • Bug: Items added to your inventory after you say yes to Banon: Fixed

Cover Knight (v8)

• Cover frequency affected by Stamina: Untested
  • Cover disabled in back row: Yes
  • 100% Cover rate if target Near Fatal: Yes
  • Cover is disabled if Golem is active: Untested
  • Cover disables Defend: Yes
  • Bug: Defend stance isn't reset (graphical only): Fixed
  • Cover disabled on KNIGHT'S status:
    • Blind: Untested
    • Berserk: Untested
    • Image: Untested
    • Magitek: Untested
    • Muddle: Untested
    • Sleep: Untested
    • Death: Untested
    • Stone: Untested
    • Zombie: Untested
    • Clear: Untested
  • Cover disabled on TARGET'S status:
    • Image: Untested
    • Magitek: Untested
    • Death: Untested
    • Stone: Untested
    • Zombie: Untested
    • Clear: Untested

• New behaviour of Smart Cover, in order of priority:
  1. Attack initiated via player input: Disabled (Untested)
  2. Attacking self while Muddled: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacking self while Zombied: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacking self while Charmed: Disabled (Untested)
  3. Attacked by teammate with a healing weapon while Muddled: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacked by teammate with a healing weapon while Zombied: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacked by teammate with a healing weapon while Charmed: Disabled (Untested)
  4. Attacked by teammate with absorbed/nulled element while Muddled: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacked by teammate with absorbed/nulled element while Zombied: Disabled (Untested)
    Attacked by teammate with absorbed/nulled element while Charmed: Disabled (Untested)
  5. Attacked by Muddled teammate: Enabled (Untested)
    Attacked by Zombied teammate: Enabled (Untested)
    Attacked by Charmed teammate: Enabled (Untested)

Note that some of the above were tested briefly but I would like independent verification from beta testers, even on the items marked as tested and functional.

EDIT: I fixed the Defend bug.

Edited by seibaby

On 9/9/2017 at 11:06 AM, seibaby said:

To be more precise, the battle engine seems to crash at the early stages of battle, but not always at the same time. I had two different battles with the Narshe guards that crashed and reset the game, one immediately (the battle screen wasn't even lit up yet) and one after a few seconds.

I'm looking through the code for my latest additions to ensure I didn't screw anything up, since the only changes from RC5 to RC6 were both my code. I did test them, so I hope it's just a patch conflict caused by moving patches around or something equally simple.

Were you ever able to track this down? It's entirely possible it's something I omitted.

So, I'm in the process of reordering most of the grey magic spells since the condensed spell list in battle is looking to be a thing. This means a few things. One, it means that anyone who has actually gotten far enough into the RC to get spells will have to go back to before that or else you're going to have a lot of wrong spells. Two, it means that I have to do a lot of moving stuff around and need everyone to double-check my work.

-Make sure everyone learns the spells they're supposed to
-Cast every grey spell to make sure they're working properly and have the right animations, cost the correct amount of MP, etc.
-Make sure the in-battle spell display looks like it should
-Make sure the Float spell works out of battle like it should
-Make sure the Safety Glove and Zephyr Cape (which now sets Haste on low HP) have the correct effects.

Edited by BTB

All right, I sent a new ROM off to Synchysi. Changes:

-Gray magic has been resorted
-Zephyr Cape now sets Haste on low HP instead of Safe/Shell
-Celes now learns Demi at level 18 instead of Life
-Relm now learns Life naturally when you first acquire her instead of from Ifrit
-Ramuh now teaches Life, Kirin now teaches Demi, Ifrit now teaches Drain (back to the way it currently is in 1.8.6)
-Setzer and Shadow can learn just regular Cure from the Healing Shiv
-Gau now has a new line if you take him to the IMTRF
-The Dragon bushido now has a 2/3 chance of setting stone instead of 1/2
-Aquilas no longer have MP (this was an incorrect setting)

In addition, Seibaby is currently looking into having cover no longer work for enemy counter-attacks and I am hoping to get the compact in-battle spell menu into the next RC.

Edited by BTB

9 hours ago, Synchysi said:

Were you ever able to track this down? It's entirely possible it's something I omitted.

I wasn't. I confirmed all my (and Think's) patches are working with 1.8.6, however. Due to the nature of the crash I'm thinking it's just a patch conflict or a header issue.

^ Confirm, at the Narshe cave section after Whelk with solo Terra, when I choose Cure and cast it on her outside battle I get a similar graphic glitch.

7 hours ago, Mobray said:

RC8 Zephyr Cape still procs Safe on critical. 

Fixed for RC9. I'll put it out tomorrow if nothing else comes up.

I'm gonna put up a new ROM that switches the indexes of the Omega Wepaon and Soul Sabre, since the Soul Sabre's index is currently hard-coded to be treated like how the Omega Weapon should be (shows up as ??? BatPwr, is ignored by optimize, etc.)  This will just simplify everything so that the only change necessary on YOUR end is to switch the suit of armor in the Figaro Castle Basement from item #22 to item #23.

Looks like Seibaby is just going to send you a fix.

Edited by BTB