praetarius5018

Seiken Densetsu 3 Sin of Mana - Discussion

971 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ECLECTRIC said:

Its not about difficulty it's about flow. I get it, though everybody who plays games doesnt do it for the challenge or to get good. Found his older post on insane difficulty it does what I wanted I hope 🤞 

This is one of the reasons why I'm interested in the Sin of Mana mod. I don't seek the thrill or adrenaline rush of tossing my controller, but the mod fixes most of the game's bugs, rebalances much of the vanilla game's completely broken balance, and the modified classes and equipment choices give you plenty of strategic options that weren't present in the original game.

6 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

I don't see why you'd have to check the docs below tough difficulty.
Just put something in every equip slot and you should be fine.
You don't need to upgrade gear at set intervals like vanilla SD3.
Attack and defense scale with levels, the only real changes of equipment are side effects.

Since when do intentions and reality agree on anything?

You tell me.

Also, don't know if you were aware but there is a power-leveling area in the Molebear Highlands. Enemies there are level 50 but as early as lv 30, you can kill them easily for quick xp and they can't do a thing to you because they're on an unreachable side of the map. Just spam magic and lv up fast. Dunno if it was intentional and if you do intend on updating it, you might wanna have a look at that place.

Edited by Juub

15 hours ago, Juub said:

Also, don't know if you were aware but there is a power-leveling area in the Molebear Highlands. Enemies there are level 50 but as early as lv 30, you can kill them easily for quick xp and they can't do a thing to you because they're on an unreachable side of the map. Just spam magic and lv up fast. Dunno if it was intentional and if you do intend on updating it, you might wanna have a look at that place.

not sure I could do much about that one

I'm sorry if this was already asked, but let me ask you.  Specifically, this is about what was said in Sin of Mana's document regarding vanilla.

1. I read in the Sin of Mana document that Kevin's level up is bugged if he gets leveled up in wolf form.  So if Kevin levels up in his wolf form, his "stat up" from the level up is permanently missed?  I don't quite understand what that means.
  2. In the Sin of Mana document, it said that Kevin's wolf form attack bonus can be stacked to absurd level.  What does that mean?  How is that done?  I'm guessing it involves Pressure Point.  Isn't Pressure Point basically the same thing as Power Up spell?  How is that stackable?
  3. Does saber spell give any extra attack bonus, even against the non-weak enemies?  The document implied that, but I didn't see any difference in power output between regular attack and saber spell buffed attack, against non-weak enemies.

1. The level up calculates the attack stat and saves it in the current attack power slot, so far so good.
But when Kevin transforms he saves his actual attack in a backup value which is then reloaded when he untransforms.
So say he has 100 atk at 8 STR. Transform into wolf, atk is now 116 or something.
Get a level up, pick any stat - doesn't matter which, his atk drops to the untransformed value of the new stat, say we pick STR so we have 105 atk.
Battle ends, Kevin untransforms and gets 100 atk at 9 STR because 100 was in the backup value.
To fix this you just need to reequip a weapon or visit a weapon shop where Kevin looks at the weapons or get a level up in human form.

2. You need any area where you can call the dragon basically and night time for wolf form.
1) Have Kevin transform (e.g. attack near an enemy)
2) Do NOT get the victory message - there must be at least one enemy alive in the room!
3) End battle mode; e.g. by switching to a different party member that is far away from enemies or just run away from the enemy or kill the enemy that is close.
I repeat, end battle mode but do NOT get a victory!
4) when out of battle mode (weapons are put away) but Kevin is still in wolf form call your dragon.
Do NOT walk out of the room or use a rope!! it MUST be via dragon.
Congratz, he keeps his wolf power bonus in human form.
Repeat a couple times to stack this up to a maximum of 370 attack power.
The glitch ends when he levels up in human form or you change his equipment or have him as the active party member in a weapon shop.It is OK to level up in wolf form, that resets the attack only until the next room.

Pressure point is just power up but self-only, not stacking.

3. Saber gives +10% atk but does not stack with +33% from power up, whichever was used last counts.

Just found out about this mod, and I'm loving it, but...

...I'm an idiot. Is there any way I can get more detailed hints or just the location of the secret shop? I assume I'm near or at the point I can access it based on the gear available (Just got to Elrand)

After killing one of those lv99 Lesser Demons in Navarre, tried to open the chest dropped and the trap never ended it kept circling around. All efforts to kill them gone to waste, had to restart the game.

Another bug I found at the Dragon's hole the Full Metal Hugger fight froze the screen, after casting  a spell on him. Probably because of the slowdown of that fight.

I waited for like 10 minutes but nothing happened.

Huh weird I never had problem with Full Metal Hugger at Dragon's Hole, has it been a long time since you saved (a true save not save state) ? cause it sound more like that "game become more and more screwed up the more you play" issue that this game has.

27 minutes ago, Nesouk said:

Huh weird I never had problem with Full Metal Hugger at Dragon's Hole, has it been a long time since you saved (a true save not save state) ? cause it sound more like that "game become more and more screwed up the more you play" issue that this game has.

Yeah I am pretty sure the save was at thr statue closest one that is to that boss fight.

2 hours ago, smileless said:

After killing one of those lv99 Lesser Demons in Navarre, tried to open the chest dropped and the trap never ended it kept circling around. All efforts to kill them gone to waste, had to restart the game.

why did you even bother with them?
they are not meant to be fought at all...

4 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

why did you even bother with them?
they are not meant to be fought at all...

Good question haha.

1 hour ago, praetarius5018 said:

Lets see how many descriptions I can proof wrong next update :D

I'm doing my best 😭. Once I finish a draft of everything I'll post a zip. I figure this is the only thing holding your masterpiece back. 

It's really nice, but the white font doesn't work so good with that background. The descriptions could also be a bit more literal and concise.

Some questions regarding Sin of Mana Misc folder...

1. Would "bonusfight__BlackRabite_Bigieu_DKS" patch work on vanilla?  Or does that only work with Sin of Mana?
  2. "super_happy_funtimes" -- I can't really tell what this does.  The description wasn't very... descriptive.  And would that work with vanilla?
  3. "skippable_spell_animation" -- would this work with vanilla?

I'm sorry that I'm asking questions regarding vanilla, even though this is specifically Sin of Mana forum.  But the patches were from Sin, so I thought I should ask here.

7 hours ago, hmsong said:

would this work with vanilla?

no x3

7 hours ago, hmsong said:
  1. "super_happy_funtimes" -- I can't really tell what this does.  The description wasn't very... descriptive.  And would that work with vanilla?
Spoiler

You know how I added a random chance for regular enemies to be replaced with one of two similar tier strength mobs? (effectively which mob types are present are semi random)
This adds the human sized bosses into the pool, so you can run into Eagle, Lugar and Black Rabite just as random encounters.

Yeesh.  Super happy funtimes sounds... rough.  I think I'll go back to doing something less painful, like hitting my own balls with a rock.  Haha.

Soon, I intend on releasing some class-balance patches (for vanilla) on Romhacking.net.  Would it be alright if I were to promote your hack?  No, I'm not going to post your patch or anything.  I'm simply going to post the link to your site, assuming you give me your permission.  I think your hack should be more well known.

So considering the remake is supposed to launch today, I though it'd be only appropriate if both halves of the fandom - especially those like me how can't/won't pick games day 0 - get some new toys to play with.

v1.200

• corpses of allies no longer block enemies
  • reworked castspeed to affect spells with long casttimes more
  • castspeed is now instant if only NPCs are near
  • added misc. patch that makes all enemies scale to player level
  • counterattacks now ignore physical resistance/immunity
  • knight type mobs take increased damage from counter attacks, physical resistant mobs in general take slightly more damage from counters
  • critical hits have now priority over misses
  • Byzel's black market adds some items to their inventory after defeating 4 godbeasts
  • Pedan's weapon trader now visits Wendel already after 2 godbeasts are defeated instead after 4
  • enemies that deal non-physical damage with their base attack ignore thorn/curse damage reflect properties
  • added a mini-boss fight to Seashore Cave
  • reduced damage modifier of strong attack from (127+STR)/117 to (135+STR)/128
  • weapon/armor seeds should now produce final class weapons ~70% of the time if all 3 party members have their final class
  • fixed rune staff, it now properly ignores immunity on Lv2 spells again
  • fixed/clarified that Ancient Coat and variants should NOT pierce reflect and absorb, only resistance, weakness and immunity
  • altered AI of Jewel Eater, less prone to back to back skill spam
  • altered AI, stats and gimmick of Gildervine
  • reordered AI of Lightgazer in hopes of it despawning less
  • flagged Gorva as undead, i.e. heal light harms him
  • Gorva now uses dark force instead of death spell
  • changed which monster Genova summons and his AI
  • fixed Bill/Ben's weakness element
  • Xan Bie now cancels Life Booster with his attacks
  • increased gold drops from regular monster
  • switched price of Bunny Egg and Thief's Armband
  • switched Kerberos Claw and Moon Coin in drop table for Bound Wolf
  • reduced Lv scaling for attack items
  • halved damage bonus for elements by day
  • increased base crit rate by 3-4%
  • increased flat crit damage bonus by luck by about 50%
  • increased Giga Flail heal aura max from 12 to 15
  • old x2 tech gain weapons instead now grant increased Lv2/3 tech damage (not stacking with helm)
  • old x3 tech gain weapons now only grant x2 tech gain
  • reduced Dragon Lance from medium to light attack
  • reduced bonus effect of Sigmund from 25% to 18.75%
  • increased HP cost of Rune Earrings from MP cost x5 to (maxHP x MP cost)/32
  • Ironsword type weapons can perform strong attacks without increased cooldown by consuming 5 MP
  • Broadsword type weapons heal some HP on dealing yellow damage, amount increases with luck stat
  • increased Flamberg type weapons' crit damage from 20 to 40
  • Colichimarde type weapons gain additional crit rate based on TP x3
  • increased Ragnarok's crit damage from 17 to 25 and crit rate from 12 to 18
  • increased accuracy increase from Leather Neckband (x2) and Thief's Armband (x5)
  • Lamellar type armors additionally grant +2 TP on evasion
  • Reflex type armors additionally grant +1 MP regen
  • Fencer's Armband crit rate reduced from 5 to 3, added 15% crit damage
  • changed effect of Beastman Collar to spells using TP to reduce cast time (4 = 30%, ..., 7 = 70%, ..., 9 = 100%)
  • changed effect of Red Moon Horn to spell casting generates 2 TP; does not stack with itself
  • changed effect of Earth Bracelet to "spell upgrade: leaf coat"
  • changed effect from Skull Disect to can't throw and lowers target's p.def&m.def after Lv2/3 techs
  • Kevin/God Hand learns Def Down instead of Saint Saber
  • Kevin/Warrior Monk learns Mind Down instead of Mind Up and can also learn Analyse
  • Kevin/Death Hand replaces his old spell list with: MT Dark Saber, MT Speed Up, Magic Shield, MT Body Change, Aura Wave and MT Lunatic
  • Kevin/Death Hand has no longer stronger damage on his Lv3 tech
  • Kevin/Dervish learns Power Up and Firebreath instead of Dark and Leaf Saber and can also learn Anti-Magic
  • Hawk/Wanderer learns Magic Shield instead of Mind Up
  • Hawk/Ninja Master can additionally learn Transshape
  • Hawk/Nightblade can additionally learn Silver Dart
  • Charlie/Bishop learns MT Power Up instead of MT Def Up
  • Lise/Starlancer now learns Saint and Dark Saber
  • Lise/Fenrir Knight now learns Leaf Saber
  • changed minimum spell attack power after defense from 0 to 10
  • despawned one exploitable enemy pack in the Molebear Highlands until at least one godbeast is beaten
  • code optimizations

Nice, looks like some fun changes. Good I still haven't done the first class change of my Kevin/Lise/Angela team, gotta rethink if I should still go with Dervish/Vanadis/Archmage haha.

4 hours ago, praetarius5018 said:

changed effect from Skull Disect to can't throw and lowers target's p.def&m.def after Lv2/3 techs

I assume this one stacks with Mind Down and Def Down?

Awesome update, skipped 1.1 entirely. Thank you, thank you, thank you for getting rid of Beastman Collar's gold/rare item gain. Many players (including myself) would equip these stupid things for at least half the game to increase their purchasing power. Now that is not an option, and players will be using accessories that affect gameplay instead. I love it.

Great addition to the Broadsword-level items.

Big changes to Death Hand.

New mini-boss in Seashore Cave? Could this be the missing octo-boss?!

Great idea on the mob-scaling patch.

One criticism: Black Rain and Shuriken still both cost 8 MP. Please explain to me your thinking on this. I would have corrected this by bringing the Black Rain cost up; at 8 MP, it's way too powerful, especially with the element-cancelling armor. However, perhaps its utility will decrease now with your corrections to that armor in terms of absorb/reflect.

Edited by rpschamp