TheRebalancer

Where are the forum rules

19 posts in this topic

Hey I'm new to this community and I need to know straight out where the rules on behavior are.

Basically, is it a toxic place to someone who is always time-invested, nice, and intelligent? Is this the kind of forum where mods will remove your posts, not because you've said something inflammatory or derogatory, but merely because they do not like the helpful, to-the-point content of your speech?

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

44 minutes ago, TheRebalancer said:

Basically, is it a toxic place to someone who is always time-invested, nice, and intelligent? Is this the kind of forum where mods will remove your posts, not because you've said something inflammatory or derogatory, but merely because they do not like the helpful, to-the-point content of your speech?

10162-no-entry-sign.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

59 minutes ago, TheRebalancer said:

Hey I'm new to this community and I need to know straight out where the rules on behavior are.

Basically, is it a toxic place to someone who is always time-invested, nice, and intelligent? Is this the kind of forum where mods will remove your posts, not because you've said something inflammatory or derogatory, but merely because they do not like the helpful, to-the-point content of your speech?

No it's not a toxic place. Mods won't remove posts unless they're really really bad. We're generally down to earth and logical and we don't mind disagreements and arguments. Those are different than shitposts of course so normal forum etiquette applies here. 

We still reserve the right to edit posts of course and we'll debate and argue and discuss points of contention and often tell it like is.  It takes a lot to get to where someone is having posts deleted. Most of the time we'd rather have the bad posts for posterity sake. 

Edited by Mishrak
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, I approve of you making a thread instead of bleeding into the Mistery Egg thread.

Second, don't take it too personally if they've edited out that small detail. No one said you weren't trying to be helpful, it's just that it's a part of the community's culture to not massively divulge it in the forums.

And yeah, we're pretty down to earth and we like intelligent posts. We try to steer away from the asshole aspect that some communities could tend towards. Hell, we sum up the first rule we have as "Don't be an asshole". Personally, my view of an ideal site also is one where we don't tend towards elitism. Why am I saying all of this? Because you asked for the rules, but in fact you seem to be interested / concerned about how the community is, and not about its rules per se.

So yeah. Give it some time, don't be quick to judge, and just accept that what happened is, someone asked a question, the creator of the mod didn't want to particularly spread that little piece of info, you tried to regardless, and the content got removed. I hope that perspective helps you a bit.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 10/6/2017 at 2:57 PM, Hart-Hunt said:

First of all, I approve of you making a thread instead of bleeding into the Mistery Egg thread.

Second, don't take it too personally if they've edited out that small detail. No one said you weren't trying to be helpful, it's just that it's a part of the community's culture to not massively divulge it in the forums.

And yeah, we're pretty down to earth and we like intelligent posts. We try to steer away from the asshole aspect that some communities could tend towards. Hell, we sum up the first rule we have as "Don't be an asshole". Personally, my view of an ideal site also is one where we don't tend towards elitism. Why am I saying all of this? Because you asked for the rules, but in fact you seem to be interested / concerned about how the community is, and not about its rules per se.

So yeah. Give it some time, don't be quick to judge, and just accept that what happened is, someone asked a question, the creator of the mod didn't want to particularly spread that little piece of info, you tried to regardless, and the content got removed. I hope that perspective helps you a bit.

You're welcome. You are only one of three 3 people at all positive in this community. At ... all ... In fact one of the few people to also put together just how damning the communities responses were, got threatened with evidence that amounted to no more than the same domain (gmail is one of the most common) and the same date joined, possibly back to back. If it were back to back then this suggests incredible foresight from the person. Perhaps he already knew the community was toxic (unlike me). In that case, he should be commended for sticking it out.

I didn't take it personally, because I found it funny. Of course, humor is not tolerated in toxic communities. That's why the thread was first split and then locked. If I still thought the community worth anything, I'd edit my own posts with more humor. But I just don't have it in me. I've rather keep all the "you're incoherent" and "you're wrong" responses so people can see that, aside from being slowly added notes over the course of hours of gameplay, nothing I've written is that far-fetched. It will serve as a better warning to anyone who pokes around the community before joining. Perhaps I should have done that more. I was too excited about the product.

I wish you the best in fighting the elitism tendencies. As a brand-new / FOB kind of immigrant here, I'll point out how glaringly obvious is was that there are a huge amount of chiefs and not very many indians. I hope you get to stay a chief. I asked for the rules partly to see what the restrictions were on said chiefs. You seem to be the only chief I've seen (there could be even more!) who takes the "don't be an asshole" rule seriously. It's a very hard rule to get people to obey on 'teh internetz.' After all, anonymity + audience = @%$#!

I've done as you ask and given the community some time. I didn't mind being immediately shit on, as it happens in a lot of big communities. In big communities people disagree afterward to cancel on the "first!" effect. Except it became clear this one was small, and thus a majority of those "shitposts" as that other mod (but without a title) put it were all there were. When the majority of people are the shitters, the community itself just kinda becomes shitty. I feel bad for you in that respect. I get to leave, and although I don't believe this community is good enough for other even half way normal gamers to join, I hope you don't leave. I would, however, totally understand if you did.

If I were the lead coder in BNW, I would be quite ashamed of the posters here. The reason I chose to shift a run that was very special to me was because it appeared as if BNW had delivered a superior version of one of the best RPGs of all time. I do not regret doing so, but I do regret expecting any kind of friendly help when I asked for the tiniest amount (concerning putting SP back on track). I put in more than that half hour of holding the turbo button and got nothing out other than a laugh at knee-jerk reactions (how dare I say their work isn't perfect!) and forum etiquette (usually mods in small communities PM users whose posts they edit so they can be made aware of a rule, especially if that person is new). I'm not saying that the product is dependent on the community, but it does pull it down. Instead of wanting to redo the run and share it, happily pointing people here, I'll not mention it to my gamer buddies. If I see anyone find this place like I have, I'll be sure to share my story of yet another small toxic community on the internet and tell them to not waste their time.

It is said amongst the open source OS community that the biggest threat to a good, but small, new OS isn't that people don't know about it. It's that people know of an alternative that is just creaky enough to use, albeit after much complaining about how unwieldy it is. This is BNW's problem with FF6 vanilla. It doesn't matter if its superior. People know that vanilla works just enough to use under their own constraints. After all I could have finished the run in vanilla and then posted the results on a vanilla FF6 board and probably gotten the kind of excited, positive responses one might hope for from this place. If I need some feel good attention later on, I might just do that. I joined a product in development to purposely give a unique viewpoint in hopes of making the product better. Vanilla doesn't have that potential. Now, I'll just leave and not care if BNW gets ignored in gaming history. So long and thanks for all the fish  (I received none here).

 

PS that title is oddly ironic. A https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brave_New_World is a book everyone should read, at least as long as liberalism and (post)modernism lasts. It along, with with 1984 which I alluded to earlier, has a lot to do with the censorship, immorality, and the crippling of the morality that led Western culture to define the world at large. If a youngster is thinking of playing this mod and has not read the book, please, stop playing the mod, and read the book all the way through first. Then when you come back, you'll have a whole difference appreciation for toxic communities.

Edited by TheRebalancer
-7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRebalancer said:

You're welcome. You are only one of three 3 people at all positive in this community. At ... all ... In fact one of the few people to also put together just how damning the communities responses were, got threatened with evidence that amounted to no more than the same domain (gmail is one of the most common) and the same date joined, possibly back to back. If it were back to back then this suggests incredible foresight from the person. Perhaps he already knew the community was toxic (unlike me). In that case, he should be commended for sticking it out.

I just want to point out that JKnox did in fact create another account simply to double-dip on the negative repping.  He had the same exact IP address.  That is different from the same domain and pinpoints it was the exact same computer that created both accounts.  My career is web development so I have a strong understanding of these things.

Having been a part of this community for about 4 years now I can guarantee that it is not a toxic (except @Kyrios, he's a toxic piece of shit :bitch:) place.  If it was I would've been banned long ago on Insane Difficulty for calling out people's bullshit.  I enjoyed the community and people so much I created this place when Insane Difficulty was broken beyond repair and it was unable to be fixed.  You and JKnox seem to be the only ones thinking this place is toxic.  And most here know me enough that it takes a lot of stupid shit (on either side) being said in order for me to call someone out on it.  Half the time the community polices itself and staff doesn't need to do anything.

Stop with the insults and let's put this shit behind us.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 0:04 PM, TheRebalancer said:

Hey I'm new to this community and I need to know straight out where the rules on behavior are.

Basically, is it a toxic place to someone who is always time-invested, nice, and intelligent? Is this the kind of forum where mods will remove your posts, not because you've said something inflammatory or derogatory, but merely because they do not like the helpful, to-the-point content of your speech?

Look, I'll tl;dr the general response you've been getting for you, but even condensed it's gonna be a couple paragraphs.

Being time-invested, nice, and intelligent is neither sufficient nor necessary for being treated well here. Helpful, to-the-point content of speech is generally appreciated. These things help, but you can be a lazy, unfriendly moron and still be popular. Look at Nowea, for example. Respect for others and for established social dynamics, whether they're in a position of authority or not, is necessary, at least. This is true of every social group.

You are arrogant. Your speech is neither helpful nor to-the-point. You are, at best, superficially polite.

You cannot reason your way out of that characterization. It is a subjective opinion, and it was one I was hesitant to form (for instance, I upvoted several of your earlier posts just to counter the dogpile of negative rep a little). But it's an opinion that seems to be popular. It's one that can be changed just as it was formed - slowly, and by demonstration, not by argument.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bauglir said:

These things help, but you can be a lazy, unfriendly moron and still be popular. Look at Nowea, for example.

Since when is Nowea popular?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Kjata said:

Since when is Nowea popular?

 

341439161489686538.png

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheRebalancer said:

After all I could have finished the run in vanilla and then posted the results on a vanilla FF6 board and probably gotten the kind of excited, positive responses one might hope for from this place.

Honestly, if you did exactly what you did with BNW to vanilla, I'd expect similar responses to what you got here. Doing a blind challenge run as your first playthrough while expecting a different game/to know everything you need already, causing you to break your challenge rules and complain every time something popped up that didn't match what you thought would happen, and then getting mad at everybody that points out your mistakes is kind of an easy way to get people on your bad side. Especially when people have to repeat themselves because you obviously missed the point the first five times it was said, or twisted it to mean something else.

I mean, I found this whole ordeal pretty hilarious at first, but now it's getting pretty sad that you keep trying to argue everything/make us look bad. If my first visit to NG+ found your NRB post, I still would have laughed at how much of a fool you were making of yourself, even if I never played BNW. Vanilla is a square hole and BNW is a circular hole, but yet you keep doing this and bitching that it's not fitting:

squarepeg-in-round-hole_iStock_000007230

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheRebalancer said:

In fact one of the few people to also put together just how damning the communities responses were, got threatened with evidence that amounted to no more than the same domain (gmail is one of the most common) and the same date joined, possibly back to back.

Do you not know how an IP address works? I can see your entire IP. I blanked it out in the screenshot I posted, you ignoramus.

Part of me wants to ban you, but you putting your idiocy on display like this is far more entertaining.

happy-grin.png

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems you think that just because you deliver your words with a confident tone, it must be true.
It does not work like that. This very niche community is very healthy, despite its miniscule intended audience and the former (now in the past) issues related to insanedifficulty.com (where the community started). Your posts don't match up with our entire history.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2017 at 4:30 PM, Kjata said:

Since when is Nowea popular?

Well, everyone important likes him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bauglir said:

Well, everyone important likes him.

33I4iM5.jpg

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you wiped that Chee-toh dust off after that picture was taken.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only one being toxic here is you, @TheRebalancer You were toxic from the very first post and have never stopped being toxic. I locked your thread because it was just you arguing to hear yourself talk. Quite frankly you've contributed nothing but mindless entertainment comparable to watching a YouTube reel of skateboard wipeouts. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm locking this thread.  Enough is enough.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.