Sign in to follow this  
BTB

Brave New World 1.9.0 is now available!

156 posts in this topic

There are experience "humps" at 10, 20, and 30 to keep you from overleveling too much. Expected levels for fighting Atma Weapon are very early 20's at the highest, so you're good.

I'd say that's pretty average especially for the first time getting there.

Only times where I was lower than that (16-17) was when I really made use of chocobos in the world map and in general tried to be fast. If you just walk your way though the game without real grinding but fighting all the battles, 19-20 is what you'll end up. The battles in the FC itself give a lot of experience, so if you feel overleveled just turn exp off or run after lv21 or so. If the boss kicks your butt too hard, just take what you learned from the fight and adjust your setup accordingly. That's much more important than a few level ups and unless you really grind up, it won't take away from the experience of fighting the boss for the first time(s)

I had to sign up to say I love what this mod does to FFVI! It takes one of my favourite games of all time and makes it absolutely amazing! I cannot put into words how amazing this is, it is a work of art and everyone who worked on it in anyway, big or small, deserve ALL the love! If I were to rate this game it would be 100/10!

PS, As a Canadian I love how Narshe is basically Canada! 110/10! Ha ha!

Edited by TheUglyDuchess
spelling correction

Glad you enjoyed it. A LOT of our players are Canadian, so Narshe is sort of my little shout-out to them.

I would like to make a request for 2.0. It's a minor one all considered.

You know the Fanatics Tower? Have the guy you pay 100,000 Gil to give you an item you can use for betting in the Coloseium. You have said you like games where choices actually matter, and that seems like an easy way of making the players have to put serious time and effort into  bribing the guy in order to get both the info and the item that can then be used (either on its own, or for betting purposes).

Replaying the mod in 1.9 just beat Atma Weapon with Celes LV20, Sabin LV20, Mog LV19 and Shadow LV19.

So far I enjoy this playthrough, I feel like the Cover/Counter combo having higher chance to happen base on Stamina make for some really interesting thing (also making stamina Cyan a little less boring to play) however I'm kind of feeling Stamina is maybe to important compare to other stats, regarding characters they are all good just still have a hard time figuring out what to do with Locke (I dunno why in 3 playthrough he is the only character I am never satisfy with) and I feel Gau is lacking some option in WoB to truly stand out, force myself to use Mog as I am not a fan of him got to admit he is usefull especially as a rod user with the new Counter/Cover thing increasing on Stamina, a little question about Mog can he counter while he is un a Dance ?

Any "rage"-type status will prevent covering, including dance. I suppose the dance part can be revisited if it's a big deal.

No that actually not an issue since most of the time when I will use a Dance with Mog it means I don't need Rod's Elemental sniping and the opposite is also true if I need to attack with Rod I will not use Dance and in general I think it's better that way to have the player having to choose if he wants Mog to Dance or attack.

I started playing this a week ago after work. It has been very enjoyable thus far. I wanted to thank you for taking the time to change the sauce enough to give me a reason to re-experience this classic from my child hood again.

On 3/19/2018 at 7:33 AM, BTB said:

Any "rage"-type status will prevent covering, including dance. I suppose the dance part can be revisited if it's a big deal.

Ouch. I had been hoping for a Cover-Counter Maduin Mog that used Punisher, Hero Ring, and Black Belt while dancing something like Forest Suite for better all-purpose party support tank. But if Dance disallows Cover, that doesn't work.

I ask to re-consider this. Mog has and has had a lot of trouble pulling together all his tools into a powerful whole throughout BNW's life. Dance (and X-Magic) in particular. I'm not seeing any benefit to disallowing a potentially unique set-up for Mog, especially because I highly doubt it'll be op or anything.

8 hours ago, thzfunnymzn said:

Ouch. I had been hoping for a Cover-Counter Maduin Mog that used Punisher, Hero Ring, and Black Belt while dancing something like Forest Suite for better all-purpose party support tank. But if Dance disallows Cover, that doesn't work.

I ask to re-consider this. Mog has and has had a lot of trouble pulling together all his tools into a powerful whole throughout BNW's life. Dance (and X-Magic) in particular. I'm not seeing any benefit to disallowing a potentially unique set-up for Mog, especially because I highly doubt it'll be op or anything.

Seconding this, I was planning on doing support/tank Mog on my next playthrough and I'm bummed now that I know it doesn't work like that, especially with the potential synergy between cover/counter and dance.

21 hours ago, thzfunnymzn said:

That's personnal opinion but I personnaly like having to choose what I want to priotize with a character depending of what oppenent i will face and personnal preference Mog is a good exemple for me do we want to go all out with Rod damage by Cover/Countering pn the front row or do we want to use a less Rod-damaging set up (Dragoon Seal + Moogle Charm) to take benefit of the Dance's support option I think that's part of what make J-RPG fun, the player having to choose what tool he wants to use and how to use them.

Seems like wanting a counter/cover dancing Mog is a bit greedy.  If this, why not rage or berserk?  

In the cover/counter discussions, it was explicitly stated that there are certain conditions (e.g. status restrictions) and nerfs (e.g. evasion halved) put on them to ensure these mechanisms were only suited to specific builds.  This ties in with spears having auto-cover, so if you want a cover/counter dancing Mog, you need a spear, black belt, and the Moogle charm (thus not officially in the dance trance) and you don’t get the punisher procs.

Edit: Note that spear, moogle charm Mog is still an excellent cover choice, with an extra relic slot to boost HP, defense, evasion, or stam further.  Could also jump with this set up, so offensively he still hits things pretty hard.

Thus, it would probably be a bit OP to give him the chance for frequent autocrit rod procs if cover/counter were allowed while dancing sans charm.  

Edited by SuperHario

Definitily Maduin Build is IMO best build for Rod Mog by sniping Elemental weakness you can deal a lot of Damage (I was reaching 9000 on Hidon) with it and now with the Cover/Counter having higher chance with Stamina there's even more of a reason to get Stamina, alternativly I think if you don't want to use Cover Counter with Mog then just swap Maduin's EL with Shoat's EL you will reach high damage with Rod's spell faster and increase Dances efficiency and since you might reach a comfortable amount of Magic stats faster you can maybe get more EL to Terrato for more survivability and then the Mystery Egg + Moogle Charm might be interesting.

Something like that :

Spoiler

Mog Build.jpg

>_> Don't worry, I'm a firm believer that Shoat is Mog's best option for Dance, weakness sniping, and X-Magic. I'm just not sold on the ~15 extra stamina from Maduin being useful, which is why I had hoped for stacking c/c rods with dances. Oh well.

Then again, I'm not much of a believer of stamina in general. I'm pretty solidly of the opinion that it's a nicety at best, filler at worst, rather than anything seriously good. Tbf, haven't had real opportunity to play with the primary c/c builds yet (Locke, Cyan, Celes, Umaro).

Well for Cover Counter in my playthrough I use it for the following character in my last playthrough :

-Cyan with the following set up :

Spoiler

Cyan.jpg

Completly unkillable (especially with Empoworer) Cover/Counter very often for good damage per counter, Cure 2 is actually not bad at all was healing for 800HP on everyone, get very good ticks from Regen and Dispatch and Tempest still deals good damage in addition of Dragon and Eclipse, I really prefer this build to Vigor Cyan because it has survavibility and more utility.

-Shadow following set up :

Spoiler

Shadow.jpg

There's actually a lot of thing that could change here :

-Using Masamune instead of Orochi you lose Damage but get the counter effect to use a better Helm
-I think Full Phantom might have been better
-Power Glove can be replace by Zephyr Cape for better Evasion

In any case Shadow works suprisingly well as a Cover/Counter user because he evade a lot and his counter with Orochi and Kagenui are actually very strong, combine with a good speed and Auto-Haste and he also attacks a lot so combine the counter for Covering + the actual turns (for attacking or using throw) and IMO this is the best Physical Damage Dealer in the game for me, it would be even better if he could cover while under Image but that's unfortunatly not possible.And finally Mog with the following build :

Spoiler

Mog Build.jpg

Replace Punisher by any Rod you need.
Very tanky, magic from Rods with the MP for Critical effect still deals a lot of damage (was dealing 9000 with Fire2 from Fire Rod to Hidon for instance) when snipping weakness, his magic is still high enough to make use Dance in random mobs (or with the Moogle Charm + Dragon Seal set up).

Outside of this 3 I didn't use Cover/Counter but I think it can be well used by Terra, Celes, Edgar, Locke and Sabin (maybe Setzer to) depending of the build.

I'm not too impressed with c/c Edgar, and Terra and Setzer strike me as more the type to pick either Cover or Counter, not both. Sabin strikes me mostly Counter. I'll chalk up Shadow as a c/c user still and maybe raise my estimation of c/c Mog.

I also have some doubt on C/C Edgar's efficiency due to his low base Stamina but he does have Spears for the Cover effect (also Gungnir for HP+50%) alloing to free up a Relic space for Nirvana Band for instance and can reach a decent vigor even if you go full Unicorn but it doesn't seem as appealing as Cover/Counter Cyan, Terra however could be great due to high damage potential thanks to Morph + Sword that cast Spell since she has access to the Oath Veil to increase spellsword cast, being in Morph also boost the healing she receives and give her massive Regen ticks so there is potential there I think, Sabin would be interesting due to the fact that just like Cyan his base Vig is already high enough that even with no investment in Vig through EL he can reach a good Vigor with equipment, however unlike Cyan he doesn't have access to equipment that gives him the counter effect so he requires Hero Ring + Black Belt and his equipment in general gives less Defense than Cyan.

But after all I guess it's ust a matter of playstyle ^^

I didn’t read all the conversation, but it seems I’m echoing Nesouk when I say I don’t want to see cover+counter + dance.  BNW usually asks you to make some choices with your character and that would be a case of having your cake and eating it too. Plus it would give mog a consistent extra damage/defense output on top of dance’s excellent options and would be too powerful imo.

Edited by Mishrak

3a724605eabac6e07f0e3a36070a48a2.png

Here's something that always perplexed me. Why are Ice and Bolt so much more expensive than Fire to cast? Fire costs 4 and Bolt costs 8, but the power is 27 versus 33. It doesn't seem to make much sense economically to use Bolt over Fire unless you're hitting a weakness?

That's the MP economy, but you can also look at the turn economy and risks;
just imagine that Fire barely does not kill the target and Ice just barely does.
Then you'd need 2x Fire or Fire + anything else, using more turns and MP, maybe even risking eating a counter attack.

And I guess the deal gets better at the higher tiers.
Fire -> Ice is +50% MP cost
Fire2/3 -> Ice2/3 only +25%
while damage ratio stays the same (+1/9)